“Nice view, shame about the hotel and especially hotel reception”
Review of Hotel Argos

Hotel Argos
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Talamanca
Chesterfield, England, United Kingdom
“Nice view, shame about the hotel and especially hotel reception”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Unfortunately we had a poor experience care of 'Travel Republic' at Hotel Argos and received just under £10 compensation following an extra outlay of 160 Euro's caused by foul ups with our transfer arrangements and room booking. The hotel were less than sympathetic and used our dissatisfaction to extract more cash from us, which was a disgrace. Compensation was an insult as indicated above. Don't visit Hotel Argos, you will hate the 'unhelpful' bordering on 'nasty' hotel reception and don't book via travel republic, they did not fight our corner when we needed them the most, so we are voting with our feet and will never use them again!

Here goes, Hotel Transfer - cock-up No 1.

On arrival at Ibiza airport, we found the Viajes Urbis desk as directed in the 'Transfer Joining Instructions'. The Spanish attendant at the desk could not find our names on his system despite us handing over the 'Travel Republic' voucher. After much deliberation, he gave us a piece of paper with a bus number on it (65) and directed us in the general direction of the bus park. We found the bus which was empty and luggage was stowed on-board. After 30 minutes of waiting, my wife enquired about the hold-up. The driver replied that he was waiting for an inbound aircraft to land before setting off. Over an hour, two families eventually joined the bus which delivered us to our hotel, some 10 minutes away. We could have actually walked faster! Apart from being hungry and tired following the flight, we were extremely disappointed about not being kept in the picture as to the reasons for the delay. Not an ideal start to the holiday. Having suffered this initial delay, we were understandably concerned about the return transfer pick-up. This was annoying in itself as is cast a shadow over the whole holiday. Luckily I had brought my iPad with me so was able to check the return transfer booking online. We were unable to ring and confirm our availability for pick up as instructed on 1st November as this was a national Spanish holiday, but others in the hotel had received faxes overnight giving pick-up locations, times and dates. Annoyingly, the Viajes Urbis website specified a bus-stop around 500m from the hotel for pick up which contradicted our Travel Republic transfer voucher instructions which said pick-up was to be at the Argos Hotel. So, thinking that the online record was the most current and up-to-date, we decided to wait at the bus-stop for the 09:35 airport pick-up. We had also left detailed instructions with the Argos hotel reception, that we would be waiting at the allotted bus-stop pick-up point, should the bus call at the hotel. Predictably, the bus did not turn up and we had to get a local taxi firm to ferry us to the airport at an additional personal cost of €20.

Next, Hotel Room Booking confusion - cock-up No 2.

Upon arrival at the Argos hotel, we checked in with reception and were allocated room 318 on the 3rd floor. Upon entry to the room we noticed that it was not on the sea-facing side of the hotel which we had specifically requested and was printed clearly on our accommodation voucher "Sea view if possible". On opening the curtains we saw that our balcony overlooked the local Spar supermarket and the hotel car park. When we revisited hotel reception to ask if there had been a room allocation error, they said that our room was a "Standard Room" which did not include a sea view. Faced with this, we grudgingly paid the upgrade fee of €20/day = €140 in order to get the holiday accommodation we had requested and expected. Upon payment of the additional fee, we were immediately transferred to room 312, one of the many free sea view rooms. We felt cheated out of this additional payment, as a sea view has always been a holiday MUST and this was communicated clearly to the 'Travel Republic' representative when booking the holiday earlier in the year. As there were plenty of free sea view rooms at the Argos hotel (perfectly illustrated by how quickly reception were able to switch our room allocation), I suspect that there was some form unofficial money making aspect to this behaviour to which fair paying holiday makers should not be exposed.

The location was actually quite beautiful but we were bitterly disappointed in the way we were treated by Hotel Argos reception and the lack of support from 'Travel Republic's' complaints management team.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
London
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed at the Argos with our 8 year old, in October 2013 for 5 nights (off season as not half term for most schools), in order to get some late sunshine. First impressions were good - a nice room with great views over the sea (definitely worth the extra money). Outdoor pool was fine. Not huge but adequate. Outdoor Jacuzzi. Plenty of beds when staying off season, although it may be an early morning towel race if staying when the hotel is full. There is a small beach by the hotel with a few beds. We preferred to walk 5 minutes to the main beach, although be aware, even in off-season the beach was busy. I can imagine it could be packed in the summer.

The indoor pool at the hotel was very small and very warm, which my 8 year old loved. More of a warm relaxing pool, than a swimming pool. There is a small gym and another Jacuzzi, next to the indoor pool.

Breakfast was pretty standard; buffet style with a small selection of cereals, continental and cooked breakfast, breads, fruit etc. All fine, as was the other food we tried, if nothing special.

What we disliked about the hotel was the smoking and the attitude towards it of the staff. In the UK, smoking has become an anti-social activity and I know this is not the case across Europe, but smoking round the pool, where children are playing is, I think, wrong. When I asked a couple, who sat down close to where I was sitting with my family and started smoking, to stop, I received abuse. When pointing out the (slightly ambiguous) sign that said no smoking (or eating) in the paved area, they shrugged and carried on. And, when raising the issue with the hotel I was told that the no smoking and no eating area referred to a few tables, next to the pool, which had ashtrays on them and people eating! My wife was then told by a member of staff that “the air’s free” and “people can smoke where they want to”.

So, the hotel is OK if looking for a basic 3 star, with comfortable rooms, in a quiet area near a small beach, and you don’t mind smoking and (some) arrogant staff.

Room Tip: The sea views are worth the little extra
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Ibiza Town, Spain
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Service in this hotel was soo bad we checked out early (no refund given). Food below average and beach full of old seaweed. Talamanca main beach however is nice and close to Ibiza town (nothing to do with hotel!)

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Beachut1
Midlands
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I was a bit jittery about this hotel, as I had read one or two reviews which were not exactly `gushing` with praise. I looked at all of the others on the Talamanca beach and by the time
I had messed about, with only three days to go before I was actually due to leave, all the
other choices I had made were fully booked. "Why" I asked myself. That confirms it. This
place cannot be as good as the others ". As I had, by now, nowhere else that came close
to my criteria,I just booked it, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. What a great piece of luck that I had not been successful with my other choices. This hotel, from the moment that
we walked in at 6.40 p.m. was absolutely right for what I needed. As a last minute, my sister
had decided to come with me for a change and from the trauma of having too much luggage,
which resorted in us buying two more suitcases rather than stumping up for Ryanair`s excess
baggage charges, we had arrived wearing more clothes than somebody expecting to do an Arctic trip rather than a trip to the sun, and the concierge would have been justified in turning us away as we were not exactly `stylish`, however, even with that problem in front of him, as soon as I asked if we had to have the town view room that we really had paid for, he immediately offered us an upgrade to a sea view. ! That was a pleasant and unprepared for bonus to our stay. Ultimately we DID upgrade to a much better room altogether with a wonderful panoramic view of this lovely bay, but the gesture was appreciated. The breakfasts were more than sufficient, with a vast array of cereals, cheeses, hams, etc., etc., etc., numeroud kinds of tea and coffee, juices, - you name it. Facilities besides food include a wonderful warm inside hot tub and pool, together with outside hot ? tub, children`s pool and
larger pool, gymn and service with a smile to bring you drinks of your choice to the poolside or wherever, or, in our case, open our bottle of wine when we had bought a cork rather than a screw top bottle. There was one member of the reception staff who stood out, and who was obviously the senior member and I will leave it at that rather than criticise anybody, but on the
`looking after` side, the ladies and gentlemen who looked after our requests at breakfast, lunch and around the pool, were always charming. I am really sad that this hotel is closed for the winter as I think that the choice of paying for extortionate heating costs in Britain or staying and being looked after in a stupendous location is, although I hate the phrase, a `no brainer`. Before I realised that they were going to be closed from November until March, I did tell my daughter that I would see her in March. Don`t let anybody put you off this hotel with complaints about food. In any case, along the Talamanca bay, in the marina, or in Ibiza town itself, there is so much choice of whatever regional or national food you would like and absolutely no need to either stay in or be dissatified by anything - unless you want to be of course.

Room Tip: Skip the town rooms and go for the sea view, and of those avoid 328 unless you don`t have lateral vi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank wanderingstarlet
Pwllheli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Arrived from an early flight and advised room not ready till 1430 no problem as we can change and leave luggage but then came a lovely surprise as only 3 of us instead of 4 we were offered an upgrade free of charge to the junior suite so we could all be together.Well what can I say jacuzzi bath sea view from the bath super king size bed 2 TVs second room in suite with twin beds thank you all at Argos had a lovely stay

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank gorswen
zurich switzerland
Reviewed 1 October 2013

come back after 2 weeks in this hôtel, the rooms are big nice balcony,gig tv on the wall.may be the closet is''' small'''if you have a lot of clothes .but it is a Detail. personals are very nice from front desk to the restaurant personals , very clean rooms''bathrooms are also moderns,nice.I LIKED THE ITALIAN SHOWER'.a big balcony . were you can seat enjoy the view. the Swimming pool is a good size, or you can seat on the beach. where they have deskchairs also'' ok'' the beach is not so beautiful lot of ''seaweed'' but you can go in other beaches' they have a lot. I swim everyday. you are just 30 minutes walk to IBIZA on foot, or you can take the boat at the Harbor, 5 minutes from the hôtel. Food was very good, buffet style, but almost everyday something new'' ok it is not a 5stars cooking, but it is good. meat are over done they are so fine cut'''look for the fish''''.you can even made your flight Reservation from the front desk'''''take a seaview room we have had the 510. Price for eating at lunch are very good 5 to 10 euros. if I have to go to IBIZA I will be back at this hôtel

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alain D
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This recently refurbished hotel is set on a beautiful sweeping bay just outside Ibiza Town. Lovely location that is quiet but busy enough for a great time, both day and evenings. A nice stroll into Ibiza town or the water taxi if you are feeling tired. The bars around the bay were superb, live music that was outstanding and free! Enough restaurant choice and our favourite was Hostel Talamanca restaurant pretty near our hotel - super meals both lunch and dinner, great staff and being fed fresh tomoatoes and figs by the 'mama of the casa' was a highlight of our holiday whilst sheltering from a thunderstorm!
If you want a relaxing time, then this is the perfect place. The staff were pretty friendly although I thought the Reception staff could have done with smiling a little more - always a nice welcome when someones smiles at you. Very clean throughout, both the bedrooms, bathrooms (immaculate) and the communal areas. Breakfast was tasty and the pastries were delicious, especially the yummy doughnuts.

Room Tip: We were not lucky enough to have a Sea View Room but we did see them and they have a stunning view o...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talamanca
Simbad Hotel
#2 of 50 in Ibiza Town
Nautico Ebeso Hotel
Nautico Ebeso Hotel
#16 of 50 in Ibiza Town

Been to Hotel Argos? Share your experiences!