“family holiday”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cala Tarida
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“family holiday”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

a family of 5 adults and one two year old girl stayed at this hotel last week, and i have to say it exceeded all expectations.
food was really spot on, plenty of choice and quality.
but what stands out was the staff , in particular the staff employed to entertain
night discos and shows, pool events, they tried really hard and made the holiday great
Valantina - your a star

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Laura M, Gerente at Hotel Playasol Cala Tarida, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Garry,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Club Cala Tarida for your family holidays. We are glad to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us, specially with the animation team.
Looking forward to welcome you back soon, kindest regards from all the staff.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I booked this holiday through On The Beach holidays. Everything was fine. Found this hotel to be very relaxed. The food was ok and the room was spotless. I didn't pay a great amount of money so didn't expect anything extraordinary. The views to the beach are stunning but it nearly killed me to get back up the steps in the heat. So not very good for the elderly or disabled. Not much to do at all apart from lie by the pool. A few shops outside hotel but a bus stop that took you to other places if you wished right outside the hotel. The downside for me was the entertainment was loud and went on quite late so if you have children it could be a problem and the staff couldn't speak English so it took me a day to try and get a decent coffee. And the queue for the drink could become frustrating sometimes. I did go to totally relax and that's what I got so I was quite happy. Not a bad little holiday for the price.

• Stayed June 2014
Laura M, Gerente at Hotel Playasol Cala Tarida, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear guest,
Thank your for sharing your experience. We are happy to know that, despite some particular issues, you had a nice time with us.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

N°1 - air con only blew hot air (very useful in the middle of july), not the worst thing but a nuisance nonetheless and only the first of the list.

N°2 - TV did not work, very useful to follow the news, again not a real issue, but it just adds up with the rest.

N°3 - Wi-Fi costs EUR40/week !
Simply atrocious prices, for any hotel anywhere in the world! In 2014, wifi should be free of charge in any hotel, some still charge small fees, which is itself annoying, but this price of EUR40/week is possibly the greatest theft in wifi history that I have ever seen. Even small hotels, lost in southern Africa, with no star rating have free wifi. This 3rd point only serves to illustrate the poor customer service level that is perfectly exemplified in 4.

N°4 - On one evening I happen to forget my key in my room, obviously not by design, but by accident. This is something everyone is familiar with: we all forget our keys one day: house keys, car keys, hotel keys. Upon returning to the hotel, I asked the man behind the desk if he could get me access to my room, to which he simply replied "No". Not only did he not have a spare key or a master key (which is unbelievable for a hotel of any class in any country), but he offered no solution (essentially leaving me to sleep on the floor outside like an animal), and he allowed himself to disrespectfully comment "It is not a 5 star hotel here, it is a 2 star hotel." as if it justified his behaviour. Incredible! What if my door had locked behind me from a gust of wind and my child had been left alone in the room? Would he leave the baby alone in the room until the next day? What if you were with a baby? Would he leave you and your baby to sleep outside because he could not be bothered???? What if I had asthma and my inhaler was in my room? What if I was diabetic and my insulin was in my room? This man did not care about my wellbeing or what could happen to me in any way and kept asking: "Where is your key?", "Can't you knock on your door?" - Well my key is in my room, and since I am locked out, NO, there isn't anyone in my room!
In the morning I went back to ask for the key from the cleaning staff (which I saw he could access in his drawer [what a liar], but somehow did not do the night before), once again he was rude and then asked for me to give him EUR5 !!!!!!!!!! I of course did not comply with that last request and in the end a cleaning lady accompanied me to my room with her spare, albeit reluctantly and with an attitude problem.

In sum: No air-con in the middle of july, no TV, ridiculously expensive wi-fi and a rude, incompetent receptionist.

• Stayed July 2014
Laura M, Gerente at Hotel Playasol Cala Tarida, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear guest,
First of all we would like to aplogize for the inconveniences suffered during your stay with us.
We are very very sorry for the misunderstanding with the problem yo uhad with our night staff, obviously we haver master key and second key for each room.
Regarding all the issues you have writen, unfortunatelly, we have no report from you in the reception, and we could not solve any of these problems.
We are sad to know that we did not reach you expectations.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you want a quiet yet authentic, truly European experience, then this resort is perfect!

The beach is to die for and the sea actually smells divine!!

There is a fantastic beach bar on the beach but better still is Ai Sea, a bar on the way back up the stairs that is the most Chillaxing bar I have ever been to.. The views, the service, the live music are amazing. You can't beat dancing to live music with the sea in the backdrop!?!

The actual hotel has pros and cons by I will definitely be coming back next year.

It's all on one level so very easy to get from bar, to pool, to restaurant, to room (ours was on ground floor but we had to change as the toilet was leaking badly. This was addressed v quickly and we were moved to an even better gf room opposite the pool).

The pool is awesome. Always get a sunbed and even a day bed!

The entertainment staff are fabulous and speak vey good English. Bring around lots of fruit for you in the afternoon but can be a bit too encouraging in getting you to join in activities!! Oh well, a bit of water volleyball didn't hurt...!

The food is great but isn't labelled...so I didn't always know what meat I was eating.

The restaurant and bar staff are the only negatives for this hotel. Not good English (i am going to learn more Spanish for next year as I shouldn't complain) but they are actually quite intimidating... There is a tip box at the bar but I have to say I didn't use it as they didn't deserve it. I had already contributed to their wages so why so miserable? Make you feel a bit guilty about ordering 2 cokes!!

Anyway, that's the only negative and I would completely recommend this hotel because it has been the best holiday I've had.

One more downside is that I'm leaving in 2 days!!

Hope you have found this review helpful Ibiza lovers.. Enjoy!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank melissa g
Dear Melissa

Thank you so much for your nice review, it is amazing for us to read such a wonderful heading.
I am sorry to know that the restaurant staff behaviour was not the appropiated, do not hesitate that I will forward your comments.
That would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back soon.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Club is very well situated just walking distance from Cala Tarida Beach. The issue is that the hotel is a bit outdated also for a 2 stars hotel and would need a renovation in the room, beds and air conditioning. Despite all we have been ok and it can be a good choice especially if you are looking for price. Would not recommended if you look for tranquility , as there is a lot of noise ( animation)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Laura M, Gerente at Hotel Playasol Cala Tarida, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear guest,

thank you for the time spent in sharing you opinion in Tripadvisor.
we take note of your comments as we are planning the refurbishment for this winter.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Positives first:

Great location. Well away from all the craziness but close enough to San Antonio if you wanted to head out for a night. It's right next door to the beach, which is beautiful. There's also a bus stop right outside if you wanted to visit other parts of the Island.

Hotel was spotlessly clean. The pool area, restaurant and toilets were immaculate. Our rooms were cleaned daily. We left our iPads, phones and even loose change in our room and none of it was touched.

Main pool was lively, without being too loud. There were plenty of sun loungers available. Would've preferred not to listen to the same song on repeat 50 times whilst the animation team rehearsed their routines but fine apart from that.

Food was great. There was always several options available and generally it was good. Sandwiches, hotdogs and salads available from bar outside of meal times. You can also order a packed lunch if you are heading out for the day.

Marian and Christian at the bar were great! They always remembered your drink and often gave us several drinks so we didn't have to make repeated trips to the bar.

Negatives:

Apart from the two staff mentioned above, the rest of the staff were terrible. Their attitudes ranged from indifferent, to downright rude. They very rarely smiled and we didn't feel at all welcome. Whilst socialising in the evening we were reprimanded by staff for being loud whilst others who were being much louder (including jumping in the pool after midnight), weren't even spoken to. More than once I spoke to a receptionist, who would deal with me in English and then mock me to a fellow receptionist in Spanish, which she (wrongly) assumed I couldn't understand. On our last night, a male receptionist was particularly rude and told us that we'd have to wait for our transfer outside of the hotel and that we weren't welcome anymore.

I can honestly say that we did nothing to deserve this type of attitude. If we had behaved like a drunken rabble then I would be the first to hold my hand up but the reason we stayed outside of San Antonio was to avoid such behaviour so we certainly wouldn't behave that way ourselves. I may be wrong but I couldn't help but feel that the negative attitude taken towards us was because we were British.

Many of the staff did work very hard, especially in the restaurant but they're working in the hospitality industry and a simple smile or a 'good morning' would've gone a very long way.

As an aside, the 'gym' needs condemning. The equipment was rusty, broken and not fit for purpose. Anyone who uses it is asking to be injured.

If not for the poor attitude I would've given a 5 rating as this really is the only thing that let this hotel down. If you're looking for a great beach, good food and a clean hotel then you can't go wrong for the price. Just don't expect anyone to be cheerful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craig S
Laura M, Gerente at Hotel Playasol Cala Tarida, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Craig,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in tripadvisor.
We are happy to know that you liked the Hotel and the quiet place near the beach.
I am very sorry to read that we didn't meet your expectations regardin the staff behaviour. I have been talking to the night recepcionist about your comments. We take note of all the reviews to improve our services every day.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It always takes me three to four days to really settle into my holiday, after which I've usually made up my mind about whether I like the place or not. Me and my partner and our 18 month old son came here in early July 2014. We chose to go all inclusive for ease with the baby.
The resort is very quiet, but I came to really like that. We were worried about the path down to the beach having read reviews, but we found it only took about 5 mins or so, and that's pushing a buggy. if you're unfit or have mobility problems, though, this would be a problem.
Our first trip to the beach was a bit disappointing as it was windy and quite wavy as a result, not suitable at all for our baby paddling. But luckily the second time we went was much calmer and the sea and bay were beautiful.
The restaurant/bar setting, by the main pool, is good, with al fresco dining. The choice of food was generally really good, occasionally the meat is a bit tough, or food a bit cool, but I enjoyed my meals here and ate very well.
As for the hotel itself, the staff work really hard, the 'animation team' who do all the activities were all super friendly, made a real effort with everyone and that made a real difference. There are all kinds of activities, from yoga, water aerobics, zumba, a mini club for kids and entertainment in the evening if you want it.
Things that were slightly disappointing for us was that the music during the day could be a bit much during the day by the main pool, but we migrated to the shallow pool at the back which was really peaceful and perfect for our baby boy.
The constant checking of room number to enter restaurant, despite wearing an all-inclusive wrist band, was a bit irritating too.
Also, the room we stayed in was small, especially with the cot included, and we couldn't push the beds together properly as a result. I did miss having a fridge in the room too (we normally do self-catering). If there are bigger room available, we would probably pay a bit more for the space.
But overall, very impressed with our first trip to Ibiza, would go back to Cala Tarida and this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sbennett16
Laura M, Gerente at Hotel Playasol Cala Tarida, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear family,
First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.
We are glad to read that you spent a nice holidays at Cala Tarida. we take note of all your comments, our guest reviews are the best way for us to still impriving our service.
That would be a pleasure to see you soon on your netx holidays.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cala Tarida
#3 of 4 in Cala Tarida
Hotel Apartamentos San Marino
Hotel Apartamentos San Marino
#4 of 14 in Sant Josep de Sa Talaia

Been to Hotel Playasol Cala Tarida? Share your experiences!