“A great lake vacation, but not a fishing resort”
Review of Echo Lake Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lumby
Echo Lake Resort
Calgary, Canada
“A great lake vacation, but not a fishing resort”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This place is absolutely beautiful. The lake is nestled in the mountains and is 22 Km from anywhere along a gravel road. We stayed in a cabin, but there re many campsites as well. The cabins were clean, comfortable and functional. We had cabin 5 and it the large veranda looked out onto the lake (you could have cast a line in the lake from your veranda chair). The cabins were basic - bring your own bedding, but each one has a stove, fridge and an outlet (you can't put too much on the electricity - my CPAP blew the fuse one night). Some things you will want - salt, pepper, tinfoil, hangers, hot dog cooker... The kitchen has all of the cookware, plates, glasses and stuff. Each cabin has it's own outhouse, but if this really bothers you there are flush toilets and hot showers two minutes from the cabin. We enjoyed our fire pit every night. Again you can sit around the fire with the lake just steps away. The sell wood for a very reasonable price (bring your own newspaper to start the fire). The cabins all have their own pier (there is also a communal swimming pier that usually had lots of people at it). We rented a motorboat for the week we were there and you just tie it each night to your own pier. The pier is large enough for few people to sun themselves while enjoying the view (I can't stress enough how pretty the place is). The are many little creatures around to keep kids (and childish adults) excited, we looked forward each day to our visit by the mom and 5 baby ducks. The resort is owned by a young couple (Rachel and Cory) who just bought it. The do everything they can to ensure that your stay is enjoyable. A few times I stopped by the store to ask for more wood or gas for the boat motor, only to find that it had already been delivered. Bring all the food you will need. The store has a few things, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for a meal and Lumby is a 40 minute drive.
Like I have said, it was a great trip, but the fishing was very poor. Over 7 days we caught 15 fish, but most were minnows (we ate 5). If you want a place to fish seriously, I would look elsewhere. I realize the owners have no control over the fishing, but I would expect a 'fishing resort' manager to be an expert on the lake (If I go on a fishing holiday, I don't have time to learn the lake, I will rely on the owners advice). I think part of it is that they are new owners and maybe don't knopw the lake very well. We were old that it is just that time of year, but I am sure the fish re still eating - they just need to figure out how to catch them at different times of the year. This is the only reason I did not give this resort a 5/5, but like I said - as Cory and Rachel find time to explore the lake more themselves and think they will be able to provide better advice. We talked to many of our neighbours and finally has some success (4 in one day between two of us - 2 keepers) using a trout trolling flasher, a wedding band lure with a marshmellow on the end (What seems like weird combination). We actually had the best luck (which again wasn't much) off our own pier using marshmellows and worms (you can buy them at the store).
Overall, I really loved this place. It is Rocky Mountain beautiful, friendly, and very relaxing - my wife wants to go back after seeing our photos. But, if you are going for fish - you may want to find a different lake or go at a different time of year.

Room Tip: In the hot sun, if you are fishing - troll as slow as possible (or row) and fish 25 feet of line out...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank singledad

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We just spent a lovely weekend at this wonderful fishing / family campground. The new owners were great, we had a wonderful peaceful quiet weekend & while we didn't catch any fish, the lake was gorgeous . There is a small store in case you forgot the marshmallows or the kids need an afternoon ice cream and the newly completed shower house was spotlessly clean. Even the out houses were cleaned regularly . Canoes, boats & peddle boats and even fishing gear were available to rent if you didn't have your own & there is a nice playground for kids. We will certainly go back !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank tammyp123
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Took a friend and the remainder of his wedding party here for part of his bachelor party. Our aim was to have a quiet stag and get some fishing in. This lake/resort is a very forgiving short off road drive (no problem on summer low pro tires). There's multiple cabins to choose from, and they have several packages that include boat and gear rental. The cabins don't have built in bathrooms, instead, each has its own dedicated outhouse. It's a 'user maintained' cabin, so expect to clean up after yourself, as well as bring your own bedding.

The property has a small store, with an extremely limited selection of goods - as well as many tempting items that are in their cases, but not for sale (example: Fresh fruit), as well as a couple of showers and flush toilets (most are pit).

The fishing wasn't great while we were there, but still managed to reel in a couple of keepers.

Room Tip: Grab a cabin with plenty of room for your party. Don't cram into one place! Bring plenty of foo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Andrew R

Been to Echo Lake Resort? Share your experiences!