“Excellent hotel, Great service, Lovely food”
Review of The Twelve Hotel

The Twelve Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barna
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel, Great service, Lovely food”
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Stayed for one night. Ample free parking under the hotel. A very friendly welcome and service throughout our stay was brilliant. We ate in The Pins bistro in the evening - the cocktails, food and wine were absolutely fantastic, as was breakfast. Portions at dinner were on the large side. Room beautiful and bed enormous and very comfortable. We were on a midweek deal giving us 3 course dinner, bed and breakfast at a very good price. We would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Galway area, it was fantastic.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mijh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
cork
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Stayed at this hotel with my partner in february. Had a room which has a bar and kitchen in it, didnt want to leave it, pure luxury. The service at this hotel cannot be faulted from the greeting at reception through to the restaurant and the breakfast in the morning. Superior. Cannot recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: Just ring reception and they will look after you.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizabethCork
Laois
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Had friends wedding here last December, such a nice hotel, only few mins outside Galway city so ideal for quiet time at the hotel and quick drive into shop street.
Staff were very friendly and the food was gorgeous. Loved the chocolates in my room on arrival and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere which I needed as I was 36 weeks pregnant at the time!

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank pamweld
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 8 April 2011

stayed witha group of friends and had the most fabulous weekend. From the minute we arrived until we departed everything about this hotel was fab...staff, food rooms all excellent...cannot wait to get back

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Having read previous reviews of The Twelve on TA and viewing the hotel's website, both myself and my husband were really looking forward to relaxing mid-week break in this 'boutique' hotel for a three night stay.

We stayed in a suite and while spacious, including a bar and large seating area, the room was extremely dark and badly lit from our previous experiences within hotels. The bed was large, however neither of us found it at all comfortable. Given this and the road noise from outside neither of us managed to have a good nights sleep on any occasion, completely defeating the idea of a relaxing break.

The decor was initially impressive within the room and other areas, however at closer viewing there are some items that are in need of basic maintenance and upkeep, particularly some of the quirky / decorative items. For example, some of the 'designer' style furnishing within the corridors was damaged and fabrics frayed.. In the room the chain for the mood lighting was rusting. Overall we both felt that this hotel use to be good and probably could be again, but they have no money to maintain it and this is showing through.

One further thing that irritated me upon our stay, was the smoking arrangement. I know this won't effect most people, but as I was awake at night and wanted to have a cigarette, I was very surprised to find that when I went down to have one that all the doors had been locked and a member of staff had to be chased down to unlock them. Besides feeling like a bold child, I found this very strange, particularly as I would consider this to be a fire hazard.

After all that giving out, on the upside, the food in the hotel is absolutely fantastic! We ate in the West restaurant on two nights and thoroughly enjoyed our meals on both occasions. Thinking back now it was actually delicious. Breakfast in the Pins also surpassed the standard fare in most hotels, the Garden Omelette was scrumptious, and I usually hate eggs!!

Overall, I regret to say that we will not be returning to The Twelve, unless it was to eat there, neither would I recommend it for a relaxing break as we both found it far from that.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Blathdubh
Roscommon, Ireland
Reviewed 11 March 2011

this is the 4th or 5th time i have stayed here.if you are going to galway this is the place to stay.short distance from the city but far enough to relax and enjoy the experience.i stayed here the first weekend it opened and the staff are still as nice and corteous as then.top marks.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
County Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We were lucky enough to manage to get our booking through the fantastic value woodieshotelbreaks.com offer of a weekend B&B + 1 Dinner for 99 euros pps.

I was amazed as I had heard such fabulous things about this hotel ... and as it turns out, they were all true!

From the welcome ice tea at reception to a fond farewell at checkout this hotel is a class act from start to finish.

The breakfasts were simply amazing and the service - especially from our waitress Vicky was second to none. I don't think anyone has ever made me feel quite as spoilt as the breakfast staff who fussed over me and gave me the time of my life.

As a non meat eater I was delighted at the choice on offer with a smoked salmon version of eggs Benedict and also pancakes on offer.

All was simply superb, coffee, pastries and as for the eggs benedict - I think it was the best breakfast I have ever had ...and I've had quite a few!

The dinner actually was not quite up to the standard of the superlative breakfast but set menu did have some spectacular and innovative choices compared to the usual tired beef/chicken/salmon offering that we usually get - so hats off for that!

Once again I must mention the outstanding staff who made our dinner and our whole stay so enjoyable. I think I never appreciated what a huge and delightful difference really tip top staff can make to a hotel until I experienced it first hand at The Twelve Hotel.

Loved the stylish room which was a lovely size - also the coffee machine and mini bar.

Just to be fair, if I had one teeny complaint - loved the robe but would have loved it even more had it been a bit longer and supersized!

Our bathroom was a triumph with fab shower, bath with seperate handheld shower ...and changing mood lighting.

How fabulous to lie in the bath with the colours subtly changing ...bliss.

Barna as a location is also perfect. 10 mins from galway city centre but a world away for relaxation with a beautiful little beach to sit dreaming on ... or given the weather while we were there, to sit in your car and dream while you looked out over it!

All in all, I couldn't think of a nicer place in Ireland than the Twelve Hotel and Barna for a romantic getaway! Simply unforgettable.

Thank you once again to all the staff of The Twelve Hotel for spoiling us rotten!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BonneVoyager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barna
Park House Hotel
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bushypark
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,110 reviews
the g Hotel & Spa Galway

Been to The Twelve Hotel? Share your experiences!