“A Real Treat”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dublin, Ireland
“A Real Treat”
Reviewed 3 February 2008

My partner and I stayed in The Twelve for two nights and were very impressed. We booked a "Super Splendid Guest Room" online, but upon arrival were told we had been upgraded to a suite - presumably due to a booking error. The suite was incredible (and bigger than some studio apartments in Dublin!). The bed was super king size, the furnishings and decor were modern and muted, and everything was immaculate. The seating area contained two sofas and we opened a large "cupboard" to discover a wet bar, with fridge, microwave, sink, coffee maker and a great selection of beers and treats - and even a small bottle of Absolut vodka (very tempting until we saw the price). There were two plasma TVs, an iPod dock/alarm clock, and robes and slippers for our stay (you could buy a robe if you liked it enough - but it was very expensive at 60 euros). There were even chocolates and a personalised greeting card from the receptionist welcoming us to the hotel.

The bathroom was huge and there were disabled facilities, organic seaweed toiletries from Voya and lashings of hot water. We had one minor quibble and that was with the shower - it was designed in a "wet room" style, and that's exactly what the whole bathroom became, due to insufficient drainage. The entire floor was one huge puddle. A stern lesson for leaving my robe on the floor, perhaps - it was sopping wet when I'd finished my shower.

We didn't try the West restaurant because the menu didn't appeal to us, but The Pins bar and bistro was wonderful. The environment was relaxed and cosy, the crowd convivial and the menu large and varied (I can recommend the pizza, and the pork and herb sausages - all were cooked to perfection and delicious, as were the huge starters). There was a good selection of beers and wines, and some great cocktails. The breakfasts were brilliant too - yogurt, cereal, juice, scones and pastries, coffee and tea, and that was just to start; there was a hot breakfast as well, with the full Irish fry-up or eggs done however we liked.

In short, The Twelve is a lovely boutique hotel - very stylish, friendly and comfortable. It opened in March 2007 and everything still feels very new and fresh. Cab fares from the hotel into the city varied between 13-16 euros - but if you have a car or are prepared to travel a little, the hotel is well worth the effort.

• Liked — The decor, the huge comfortable bed, The Pins bar and bistro
  • Disliked — The insufficient drainage in the bathroom
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ABookishBeaker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Surrey
Reviewed 2 February 2008

As I am in the fabric business I was keen to stay at this boutique hotel on my recent visit to Galway.
I can honestly say for the money (dinner, b&b less than £100)this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. I had a huge double bed with a superbly comfortable mattress, egyptian cotton covers. great bathroom with really funky lighting, girlies will love the toiletries.
Mini bar very well stocked with some unusual beers and wine. Green and Black choccies, oh yeah and you get a plate of five complimentary belgian chocs in your room when you arrive.
Ipod docking station was a quality touch, great to have an alarm clock that wakes you with your own selection from your music library.
FREE wifi internet access, although I am told in some rooms the signal isn't too strong.
The restaurant is only open Thurs-Sunday and as I visited on a Wednesday I ate in the bar. That said I had a sirloin steak that was perfection. It was cooked exactly as I asked and service was excellent.
i had one minor irritation but Fergus the manager sorted that swiftly and I got a complimentary pint of Guinness to say sorry.
Breakfast is unreal, I have to say you won't eat it all if you have a full irish fry up, take a team of sherpas and a flag to put in the top!!!

Georgina on reception was incredibly welcoming especially good when you have driven three hours from Dublin in wind, rain, snow and not the best roads in the world.

Make a point of staying here if you don't mind being a bit out of town, the village is about fifteen minutes from Galway city centre.

I already can't wait for my next trip to the Emerald Isle

• Liked — Luxury add ons, ipod, minibar choice and superb food and atmosphere
  • Disliked — I wasn't there longer
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank TannedTony
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 26 January 2008

Recently stayed at the Twelve for 3 nights, was worried my expectations might be too high after reading reviews here but The Twelve didn't disappoint, it is all about friendliness, comfort and glorious food! On our arrival there was a lovely handwritten card in our room along with chocolate strawberries and cake - totally unexpected and delicious! Fresh coffee percolator in room also. Restaurant quite good with great pastries and pancakes available for breakfast as well as the traditional options. Can't praise this hotel enough but if one thing stands out it's the really friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere - if you go you'll enjoy it, I'm sure!

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank ShirleyIreland
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 21 January 2008

This hotel is a gem. I live in Galway myself but we wanted a night away for our anniversary and couldn't travel too far. Being familiar with Barna, I knew that it would be a nice place for a stroll and an easy walk to the beach.

The hotel room was modern, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was outstanding and I truly enjoyed the bathtub! We ate dinner upstairs and through no fault of the staff, there was a large party who were finishing up. It was a family event and there were a lot of children. They were noisy, annoying and loud. The adults were worse! Again, the staff were apologetic and offered us a complimentary dessert for the noise. I heard that later this group of rowdy young teens caused havoc in the hotel. They should've been asked to leave.

The bar is a pretty local crowd. The trendy rich folks who live in Barna were all in attendance. The drinks were tasty and delivered quickly and with a smile.

It was truly a romantic dinner. The room service breakfast could've been better in terms of portion size, but it was lovely!!

Will definately stay again!

• Liked — The rooms were amazing.
  • Disliked — Breakfast was disappointing.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Anahita06
Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 January 2008

The Twelve hotel was fabulous. The staff, accommodations, dining was just fabulous. Would highly recommend and will return someday.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank GOGOGRANDMUM
Westmeath
Reviewed 4 January 2008

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a wonderful stay at the Twelve. Rooms are very tastefully decorated with a large comfortable bed, ipod station, flat screen tv and dvd player, also i can't rave enough about the beautiful products in the bathroom, the shampoo, conditioner, showergel etc are all made from hand harvested seaweed and smell divine! We discovered a great seafood restaurant just a two minute walk from the hotel call O' Grady's on the pier where we enjoyed a delicious meal overlooking the Atlantic and afterwards back to the cosy & comfy bar for a few drinks! Would highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SunnyWestmeath
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 December 2007

Just returned from my third visit this year and I love it more and more each time. Staff are fantastic and the rooms are wonderful. Can't recommend it highly enough!

• Liked — Comfy bed and coffee maker!
  • Disliked — Lack of lighing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank LadyWanderer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barna
Galway Bay Hotel
#6 of 45 in Galway
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bushypark

Been to The Twelve Hotel? Share your experiences!