“Great Hotel - Really enjoyed our stay”
Review of The Twelve Hotel

The Twelve Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barna
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Really great hotel and would highly recommend. The staff were all excellent which is rare in my experience. The extra touches like the welcome card, nibbles from the hotel bakery etc all made for a lovely start to our stay.

The breakfast menu was excellent and freshly cooked so even better. We had dinner in the restaurant on saturday night which was very good. My seabream main course was delicious but my fiancees rib eye steak wasnt a good cut or as well cooked as requested so that was the only disappointment of our stay.

The bar was lively and the food looked good. Its not far from Galway city at all and because the weather was so bad we didnt get to see much of Barna. Overall a great hotel with excellent staff and good food. Pity they dont have a leisure centre but you cant have everything I suppose!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,789)

Reviewed 10 August 2008

This was our first stay at The Twelve, but it will certainly not be our last. My husband and I spen the August Bank Holiday there and were very impressed with everything. From the moment we arrived we found all the staff to be extremely pleasant. The check-in was fast and efficient and our bag was taken to the room for us. The room was lovely - supeking bed, flat screen TV and lovely products in the bathroom. We had a snack in The Pins and found it to be excellent. Breakfast was freshly cooked - a real plus as we hate self-service buffets. There are some lovely restaurants nearby e.g. O'Grady's on the pier and Boluisce in Spiddal. Congratulations to all the staff of The Twelve for making our stay most enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2008

Stayed here with my mum who was born just up the road in Spiddle. On the plus side a very nice room and warm welcome. On the minus side the bathroom was small and the one evening meal we took was not very exciting and given that the food was not great it made the design flourishes make it feel a little pretentious. The Bar was very lively with a nice atmosphere and plenty of locals.

The real delight was lunch at Donnelly's which is just two minutes away, terrific quality seafood in a wonderful setting even though it was raining. We ate at Mulberrys that evening which had a very lively atmosphere.

I agree with the other reviewers that Barna feels like a Galway City suburb however Donnellys alone is worth a detour !

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank peterharwich
Reviewed 14 July 2008

I have to stop staying here. There must be more to life. I constantly find myself drawn back again and again to this wonderful place in Galway. Last week they had a whole suckling pig roast and a marvellous BBQ happening outside. Fortunately, it was the one sunny day of our 3 day stay at the twelve.
Anyway, happy to say it is a very special place and seems to be even more enjoyabe each time we return. One word of advice though, book a treatment early as they only have one therapist. The west restaurant is great. I even reviewed that here.
Well, I promise to try really hard not to return for awhile. -Help!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2008

This marked my second return to this gorgeous hotel in less than a year. If you are an admirer of style you'll love this place. The decor is distinctive, and you just know, a lot of thought went into it. Although stylish and upmarket it was no way pretentious. The Twelve is situated in Bearna aprox 5miles outside Galway City you are right on the coast.

On both occasions I managed to get great deals. if you check out their website you'll see that they've come up with some imaginative deals. On both occassions I stayed Sunday & Monday night and got a Suite for €120 per 2 people sharing plus breakfast. Quite jammy I know. Would have been happy to pay €200 as the place is definetly worth it.

On being shown to our room they had a personalised handwritten welcome card & chocolate - nice touch, The suite had a kingsize bed, 2 flat screen TV's and an Ipod doc. also had a fully stocked fridge with all sorts of goodies, coffee maker, microwave, and Bar Counter. Would make a great venue for after pub tipple with friends.

The bathroom was a bit on the small side, and it was only on the second night that I discovered a chain that when pulled trigger sa light show of sorts -colour therapy? Nice I suppose, if you were relaxing in the bath, I felt however that the colour changes were a bit too frenetic to be relaxing - felt more like a rave.

Would say that the decor in the rooms is a bit on the darkside, and had to keep the lights on - even during the day. The light shades being dark in colour throw out very little light - so i struggled when reading my Sunday Papers.

The bar is always busy and again nicely kitted out. Again you are not too far from Galway to dine out and we chose this option out of variety.

Your 2 minutes from Rusheen Bay (on your left hand side as you make your way into Galway City from Bearna) where you can go kayaking on sit-on top kayaks. My girlfriend can't swim - so the sheltered bay was ideal. €15 per hour great value and had a ball. Further north from Bearna you have Spiddal where you can fly to the Arran Islands in less than 7 minutes.

Always love Galway and the atmosphere and quirkiness of Shop Street (main shopping area) in the city. The Twelve Hotel in Bearna just makes it that extra bit special. I will return again & again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2008

My partner and I stayed at the 12 in May of this year. I fail to see the relvancy of the earlier rant is about the 12 being renovated and sitting on the site of an old hotel?

This is an excellent hotel, very stylish and modern, with a very relaxed atmosphere. The food in the bar is second to none, and the pub grub place across the road is excellent to. Barna is a lovely little village, its about 10 mins drive from galway city. There are buses that go to the city, just ask at reception and they have the timetable.

Other reviews say they found it quite noisy, but I have to say I didnt, maybe it depends on how light a sleeper you are.
I will def stay here again, and would recommend other do to!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2008

I really want to write a balanced review of our stay so I'll summarise the key points as follows:

PROs:
New Hotel with stylish furnishings
Food at "The West" restaurant, & Service was very good
Massage & Spa treatments were excellent
Staff very friendly and helpful

CONs:
Noisey; with most rooms sharing an entrance hall way which bangs all night long
Many rooms face onto a busy road and walls paper thin
Bathrooms too small ( and we stayed in a suite! )
Barna feels a bit too plastic now...not at all authentic

Would I stay here again...probably not.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barna
Park House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bushypark
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 46 in Galway

Been to The Twelve Hotel? Share your experiences!