“Excellent food”

Cuisines: International, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We haven't been to the Royal for a while but after going on Friday I will definitely be returning again soon. I forgot how good the food was and the staff are very friendly. They offer a wide variety of food and its reasonably priced.

3  Thank Katie G

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Awesome food, friendly staff and lovely atmosphere!!! We have been lots of times now and can't get enough of the food!!!!!!!

1  Thank craigmcmanus11
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

It had been a very long time since I'd been in the Royal and I'm glad we gave it another go. The menu is a mix of traditional pub grub, Italian, Mexican so there's something for everyone. We had ribs, calamari then the homemade burgers. The starters were good, nice meaty ribs with a good sauce, the calamari were nice and soft, not chewy, although the batter could have been a bit crispier. Standout was definitely the burgers, great stuff - proper meat, tasty dressings and lovely chips. We were completely stuffed at the end. Also the house red is Barefoot Merlot which is a great wine and nicely priced - the corkage on byob is nice option to.

To top it all off the service was great and the bill pretty reasonable. I'm sure we'll be back.

2  Thank GigCoyle
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We visited this charming establishment after a long hill walk, we were made to feel welcome immediately by a young girl who was pleasant and extremely professional and dealt with all our needs.
The property was clean and comfortable.
After a short period we were served by the owner, who was once again as professional as his staff, Our choices of food arrived of which were fantastic, I ordered soup of the day which was fresh and clearly homemade. My wife ordered fish which was fresh and prepared delightfully, My main meal was chicken which arrived on a skillet and was succulent and tasty.
We had the previous night been to a resturant that had been highly recommended in the centre of Edinburgh which was a disappointment.
Overall a very pleasant experience I can not recommended it enough I wish the owner every success in the future! !!!

4  Thank Jamesy77
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This has become the best restaurant in Penicuik area, having been one of the worst at one time! The food was excellent, well presented and service very good. Friendly staff. Our second visit within 3 weeks. No doubt we will return.

2  Thank John G