“Yes it smells , yes it's dark and don't get me started on the stairs !!”
Review of The Happy Castle

The Happy Castle
Ranked #4 of 7 things to do in Penicuik
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Went to happy castle for the kids to have a fun time.
Boy they did that they had a ball.
The food was ok and not to badly priced lots for them to do and was quiet busy.
Now I would give 4 or 5 stars but the problem was it's too dark and it smells and don't get me started on the very steep and dangerous stairs.
If my 4 year old child fell dime them stairs he would kill him self and I know there is a wee play area for under 5s but we all know when your child has an older brother or sister the 4 yr old ain't staying in the under 5 area.
I do feel along with other reviews I have read needs a refurb and probably a good clean but If it making money and keeps as busy as it is why would it.
Would I go back ????
I have to say yes.
It's the only ball park on my doorstep in Penicuik and the kids love it.

Just don't like them stairs. Gives me a heart attack every time one of the children come running down them.

Please sort them !!

2  Thank Darran A

Reviewed 6 August 2014

took my grandsons here ,,,, deary dear !!!
the eldest is 12 the youngest 5 ,,,, and the activities and decor are the same as the first time i went ,,, and it smells like it hasn't been cleaned properly since the first time i went ,,,,,,
Thankfully the kids never noticed ,,, and just got on with running around playing, which was the main reason for being there ...
Unfortunately, i came out wanting a shower!!,,,,, to wash away the smell ,,,!
i know that some of the smell was down to ,,, accidents i.e. juice spillage ,,, but the dampness and the staleness was unbearable ,,,, maybe people would bye more food if that were the enticing smell, you could smell ,,, but alas no !!
the food was reasonable, the staff were helpful , and the toilets were clean ,,,,it's just in need of a long over due, upgrade,,,,,, maybe that would get rid of the smell !!!

4  Thank berniegillespie
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

With a 3 year old and an 8 year old I consider myself a soft play veteran.

Happy Castle seems to be the type of place left to run itself down through lack of competition.

The whole place had a filthy feel about it, not helped by the darkness of the building.

The price was actually quite good compared to some places and the equipment does seem really good, if only it felt like the owners/managers cared about the place.

Still, the kids didn't care about the hygiene and I gratefully used their free WiFi to write this review.

1  Thank davidclark78
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Late doing the review but couldn't find it when I was their last!
Where do I start....
Hard to find if not got clear directions and/or satnav. The road leading up to it is covered in huge potholes! The outside isn't very welcoming and can be hard to park at peak times.

Walking in the entrance and I wanted to walk back out. Should really have reception at front door... Paint off doors/walls, old signs.... Poor lighting when you enter soft play.

Price was reasonable and off my 4 year old went. After finding a seat there was food/crumbs and god knows what else all over the floor and table hadn't been cleaned. Moved myself to the rear of the softplay and went to grab a coffee..
Stood there for what seemed like a lifetime while the employee stood in the doorway on her phone!!!!! After eventually shouting I got her attention! Coffee wasn't great and food I ordered for my son was greasy!

Have not and won't be back unless this place has a serious re vamp. It has so much potential as the only soft play in midlothian

2  Thank iaka12
Reviewed 8 February 2014

we were in the happy castle today for first time with my 4 year old and 5 month old as soon as i walked in i wanted out but my daughter wanted to stay (being a typical 4 year old) we were there for around half an hour paid for the two hours £5. they didn't take our names number in group ect just the money.

the place was very dark all seating down stair was full so we were told to got to party room upstairs small dirty room where you cant see the soft play area. in the half hour we were there i heard of kids being punched in the face and kicked in head i know these things happen with kids but it is more worrying knowing all this going on when you cant see your child. there were bigger kids (over 12) running all round upper level and on stairs not bothering who they bumped in to.

my daughter needed toilet and my baby needed her nappy changed so i took them to the toilets and that's when i thought we have to leave so very dirty (see picture)

also didn't feel kids were safe as only the one door for them to get through and if parents are upstairs and staff have no idea group name and numbers anyone could leave with your child.

overall a dirty smelly rundown place no rules or security.

2  Thank ecoyle22