“Looked nice from the outside but quality of food not so hot”
Review of Leadburn Inn

Leadburn Inn
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Penicuik
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: View, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Leadburn Inn is friendly, cosy Country pub with "real beer, proper food & comfy beds". We pride ourself on totally fresh, seasonal produce, sourced locally. Our menu is classically British comfort food, where the flavours of the ingredients speak for themselves....! We also have an ever changing specials board. Our cask conditioned ale selection changes regularly as does our bottled beer selection. We are independently owned and very family friendly. So much so there is a purpose built, 3 level, kids soft play area in a separate part of the building. We now have boutique bedrooms available. They are a mix of double, family and quad, Please see our website for details.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Looked nice from the outside but quality of food not so hot”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Starting off with the best bits, this Inn is in a good location for catching passing trade and looks great on the outside and very clean and welcoming inside and the toilets were spotless. The place was quiet on a Thursday lunchtime with only one other couple and the bar looked well stocked with real ales, good selection of other beers and a few specials on offer. The menu looked good with plenty to choose from and a good range from light snacks to heavier meals.
We chose the soup of the day, one had the house club sandwich and I had Aberdeen Angus steak baguette. The soups were fine but the main courses were dry and a bit of a let down. The baguette was hard and didn't seem fresh and the salad leaves were dry and wilting.

• Visited July 2014

UK
“Thrown out of the soft play...!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My sons and I, and my friends and their children who came with us to the Leadburn, were (I swear, you wouldn't believe it) thrown out of the soft play, like a bunch of trouble makers, because my two year old son had a toilet accident inside. I'll spare you the gorey details, but he had his accident, came out, we offered to clean it up but of course they refused (I'm sure that was for H&S grounds) and 20 minutes later we were abruptly, loudly and very publicly marched out, being told that this accident was a health and safety risk that they couldn't have on the premisses.
Had I been less harassed and embarrassed, I would have asked to speak to the manager there and then, but as it was, I was too busy consoling my toddler who understood perfectly that his accident had led to he and his friends all being thrown out.
Of course, I wrote a letter to the manager of the Leadburn, but that went ignored.
We, of course, will not be going back. What a horrible way to treat a young child, going through what can be a difficult transition, and indeed what a horrible way to treat the rest of us too.

• Visited April 2014
17 Thank lulat7
Peebles, Scotland, United Kingdom
“disappointed this time”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have eaten here a few times recently and always had a good meal so we were disappointed it was not up to standard on this visit.

My wifes pattie was so runny it was like soup and my monkfish scampi tails were a bit bland. The staff were very apologetic about the patties and knock it and a drink of the bill. They say the chef thought it should never have been sent out - but it was so a fault in the command chain somewhere. Also thought the choive of specials was a bit poor.

As I say, we have had lovely meals there before so dont let that put you off - it was a Thursday evening and everyone can have a bad day.

• Visited June 2014
Winsford, United Kingdom
“A very enjoyable lunchtime visit”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We had pre booked for an early lunch to celebrate Father's Day. When we arrived the table was all set up including high chair and kids menus (and cutlery) ready. A warm and friendly welcome - in fact all of the staff were great the whole time we were there.
The menu is brilliant. So much choice, it was only that we had had a late breakfast that we didn't have starters (although some of the party opted for a starter with a side as their meal). Food was fresh and full of flavour, our empty plates evidence of how much we all enjoyed it! We decided to go for desserts too which were just the right size and again very tasty!
The play area on the other side of the building kept my 3 year old entertained in between courses and is a lot bigger than I had assumed! Very well set up!

We will definitely be back on our next trip up to the Borders, there is a lot more of the menu we would all like to try!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Menu”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Second time I've been since its been taken over. Both times had lovely, warm receptions from the staff. This particular time had a beautiful table for 6 right at the window, which was great as the sun was shining through and we had the views over the Pentlands. The menu both times has been fantastic and so hard to choose what to have. The portions are also very generous! I had roasted Camembert to start (shared between 2) and then the salmon linguine and I was absolutely stuffed. I love puddings but there was just no room- much to my disappointment because the first time I went they were so tasty and wonderfully presented I ended up taking photos! Two others shared the nachos, which should have really been for 4 because it was so much! Have been recommending it to everyone.

• Visited June 2014