“Horrible Room - Bad view”
Review of Hotel Rachel

Hotel Rachel
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Agia Marina
Reviewed 30 August 2014

The seaside rooms where fullybooked so the owner gave us a room with street view. Honestly i d wish i had stayed in my neighbor in Athens. I didnt like the room so the owner found it clever to not let me go and keep me and my money to a place i couldnt stand. He charged me for the night as the cansalation policy requires... i wont go in to it........The balkony had no privacy and no sea view at all. Ok, i knew from the begining that. What i didnt knew was that across the balkony there where other balkonies and could see you, stare you, with absolutely no privacy. Also the balkonies from the same floor where seperated by a thin and short wall. So by turning your head left or right you could see your neighbors, even if you were seated at the chair! Awesome right?? You had always someone to see you and hear you. I also found hair and cut nails at the "clean" floor... Need more? The bathroom smells like it was never cleaned and i was discusted even to take a shower. Water had of course no preusure due to the watersalt that was stuck on the shower.

Room Tip: See the rooms with your own eyes before you pay
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have never had such a great stay anywhere! We found this hotel online and chose it for the great reviews, and we were not disappointed! The location is perfect, right next to the beach and right in the town. Our hosts were some of the nicest people I have ever met. They went above and beyond in every way - they were available any time we needed anything, and gave us information about the island. They let us use the phone to make local calls and even translated for me when I couldn't understand the Greek recordings. The breakfast was great, and they took the time to talk to us and get to know us while we were in the common areas. On our last day they drove our bags to the port for us as well. I also bought an incredible dress from the attached shop, my best find in Europe so far! I couldn't have asked for more out of my stay, and I never expected to make friends with a host, but I'm so so glad I did! It made my trip unforgettable. I really hope to be able to go back again, but until then I'll recommend this place to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank ahiggins4
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Ianis and Angelica were very welcoming and friendly. The hotel is ideally located about 2 mins from a lovely beach. The area is ideal for relaxing and there are plenty if restaurants and bars to choose from. The nearby Temple of Aphaia is very interesting and boosts beautuful views of the whole island.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank sabrinamacchi
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I chose this hotel based on other travellers reviews and I was not disappointed. It is a family run business and what a delight, great customer service - they go over and above to help, so hospitable. They provide beach mats and umbrellas for the beach and all topped off with a lovely spread for breakfast. The hotel is ideally located, 2 mins from the port, the beach and lots of restaurants, bars in close proximity. The room was comfortable with air con and decent sized balcony and has the added bonus of a fridge. There was quick complimentary wifi throughout the property. The beach is ok, but the sea is superb, so clear and the best place to cool down! I will be back as I had such a relaxing stay. Warning, there is only one ATM in Agia Marina and it wasn't working!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view if possible, quiet and relaxing view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Well, without wanting to sound snobbish, I was a little concerned when my partner had told me he had booked a 2 star hotel for our three night stay in Aegina. What a pleasant surprise!

We stayed near the port in Athens on the first day of our break, which was a pretty poor area, so I was really looking forward to a getaway from the city.

We arrived at the hotel around 8pm and had the warmest of welcomes from the lovely owners. All amenities and the local area were well explained to us, including the offer of helping us with a hire car etc. if we required.

OK, the room was 'bijou' but for two adults was perfectly adequate with a great balcony, a fridge, free wifi (and fast), plenty of hanging space in the cupboard, quiet air conditioning, iron and board, hair dryer which actually had a diffuser (which may seem a little detail, unless you have curly hair like me and generally have to lug one of these massive things with you yourself!).

The room was very clean (if a little tired), with new mattresses. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep well because I have very bad back trouble, but my partner slept very soundly. The breakfast wasn't to my taste, but I don't normally eat breakfast and my partner found it perfectly adequate.

It is in a GREAT location - right near the Blue Flag beach (two loungers and an umbrella 5 euros for the day, but the hotel will supply you with beach mats and an umbrella free of charge) and within a two minute walk of a plethora of restaurants (try the ones near the harbour for a great view and fantastic fresh fish). it is a very short walk from the Alexandros ferry drop off and there are also plenty of shops, supermarkets and car/scooter hire centres in the area. Scooters are very cheap at 20 euros a day and we had a great time exploring the island for a day this way. The hotel also has a lovely little boutique shop selling beach wear, hand bags, beach towels and gifts and residents get a discount.

On our last day, we were catching the ferry at 2.45pm and we asked if we could have the room for a late check out so we could have a shower before we left. They very kindly allowed us to do this free of charge as they did not have a resident for the room that evening.

Although obviously not a five star hotel, it was a five star experience (and brilliant value for money). Some five star hotels could learn that at their prices, free Wifi should come as standard, as should a fridge, and learn from the exceptional and personal customer service we experienced. We would definitely return - Aegina and this hotel are both real gems.

Room Tip: We had a street facing room which had a beautiful balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank louisebielby
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We used to stay there in April 2012, shortky before the season started.
A small, but extremely cozy place with comfortable and clean rooms, amazing owners, who's hospitality is amazing. If You are looking for luxus, hudge rooms and all the extras which money can buy, this wouldn't be your place.
But if You are found of staying in a cozy place with friendly services and feel really at home - You'd never find a better one!!
One of my best vacations ever i spent at Rachel! Fellt much more like like paying some close, but tactfull cousins a family-visit, then like staying in a hotel!!
Tidy rooms, supermarkets and restaurants are close, the beach is 1 min away and the owners do their best to make You feel comfortable!!
Thank You so much, Maria and Ioannis!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ClaudiaRuckmich
Reviewed 26 October 2013

If you are looking for a very clean, quiet, friendly and easily accessible hotel on an Island in Greece, don't look further, this is it. Service is excellent. Breakfast, whilst not extensive is very fresh and more than adequate. Basic rooms are small but there are some larger rooms available. One minute away from the marina, two minutes from supermarkets and five minutes from a wide selection of restaurants. There are scooter, quad bike and car hire businesses in the main street. The hosts John & Angelika (hope that is correct spelling), were very accommodating and made the five night stay all that much more enjoyable. The bathrooms are a tad small but I'm a little larger and found them very serviceable. The value for money is outstanding. Thank you. We really loved our stay. The island should be explored, it has so much to offer.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel Liberty 1
Hotel Liberty 1
#19 of 28 in Agia Marina
Ela Mesa Luxury Apartments

Been to Hotel Rachel? Share your experiences!