All reviews las chimeneas sole the main house made us feel perfect hosts home from home feel welcome sierra nevada alpujarras mountains memorable holiday off the beaten track his wife wonderful week paella friendly place story teller second to none
Reviewed 15 November 2018

Emma and David and their staff from Casa Las Chimeneas are wonderful hosts, who went out of their way to make our stay comfortable, interesting and memorable. The food was absolutely exquisite, every meal provided for with great care by the chefs and kitchen staff, providing for everyone's dietary needs. The accommodation was lovely - we had a fully-equipped, charming cottage to ourselves with a fireplace, constantly supplied with wood. The bed was oh-so-cosy, with a duck-down duvet, which kept us warm even when it snowed! It was my first experience of snow (we're from South Africa!) and David indulged me by driving us up to the snow-line for a moment of magic. The walks were great, no too strenuous and the scenery spectacular. There was always a car available when we reached a village at a halfway point, in case anyone had enough for the day. David is a fount of interesting historical knowledge, which he shared while walking with us. Las Chimeneas also had a handful of helpers, who kept us entertained, added conversation to dinners and hikes, and were just fun to hang out with. On a very rainy day, our hosts drove us out to Almeria, a moorish port city - it was a thoughtful addition to our holiday, to allow for the weather. The highlight of the trip, was, of course, meeting the author Chris Stewart. It was a crazy dream come true, for big fans of his books. He is a wonderful person, a great guide to the Alpujarras and enthralling story-teller. He invited us to lunch at his farm, Al Valero (yes, the one from the books!). Chris and his wife, Ana, laid out a delicious spread for us, while we lazed on the patio over glasses of wine and explored the little oasis of a garden the two of them have created over thirty years, with hard labour and loads of love. We meet the sheep, cats and dogs and crossed the famous river. We are grateful for the beautiful experience and truly memorable holiday that all these people provided for us.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

Las Chimeneas is the perfect place to base yourself to explore the beautiful Alpujarra region. Emma and David are the perfect hosts, knowledgeable, friendly, giving you tips on walks, nature or local cooking. Food and accommodation were top rate. We really enjoyed our stay here

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2018

My wife and I were looking for something a bit different and off-the-beaten track for this year's holiday and in Casa Rural Las Chimeneas we found exactly what we were looking for - and much more besides. The location is spectacular, set amidst the Alpujarras mountains at an altitude twice the height of Snowdon! The area is rich with an abundance of grapes, figs, pomegranates, walnuts, mulberries and much more growing wildly just waiting to be picked. There is also a fresh water spring just next to the Casa providing the purest mountain spring water which is ideal for filling the water bottle before a walk, or just generally to keep hydrated. There are some fantastic walks directly from the front door of the Casa and meandering from one peaceful village to the next through the wonderful countryside is delightful.
David, Emma and their team are the most welcoming hosts you could meet. Their knowledge of the walks and the area is second-to-none and they really do take genuine pride in making you feel at home. They also provide a social programme of activities that help all the guests come together. The food is amazing too, prepared by local chefs in a rustic and charming setting - the paella cookery demonstration was particularly memorable and attended by all the guests - who then had the task of eating the paella for dinner! We would like to thank Emma & David for giving us the opportunity of enjoying such a spectacular part of the world in the most welcoming, friendly and hospitable of accommodation! We don't often return to a place twice as there is a big world out there to be explored, but on this occasion, we will seriously think about a return to Casa Rural Las Chimeneas! John & Sarah

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pentland1
Reviewed 17 September 2018

I was so impressed by the food at Las Chimineas that I bought the cookbook so I could try to recreate the dishes at home. The hosts were so welcoming and made us feel very much at home. I will definitely be returning.

Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

A wonderful week with excellent hosts. David & Emma and all the staff made us feel so at home. The food is delicious and I came away inspired to try more vegetarian cooking at home.
The rooms were very comfortable with fabulous views. Andrew & Alastair were very convivial hosts in the evenings.

The yoga with Carrie was exceptional. I’ve never had such a wonderful yoga teacher and I came away inspired, stronger, fitter and definitely more flexible. I achieved more than I ever thought possible.

Date of stay: June 2018