“60 YEARS REMEMBERED: Three days, three generations, PARTY!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Otivar
Palacete de Cazulas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Last week we spent three days at very beautiful Palacete de Cazulas in Otívar, Andalucia, Spain with three generations of family and friends, topped off by a fabulous party catered by Los Laureles restaurant in Almuñecar. First the palacete, which is an historical "manor house" with formal salon, game room, library, formal dining room, etc. or outside living with gorgeous views over the valley and mountains of Otivar...several different comfortable areas for dining, relaxing, etc. There is a swimming pool, tennis court, badminton court, hikes...lots of information is left available for guests and ours used all the facilities, enjoyed the formal gardens and two different hikes.

We used the entire house, plus one of the cottages, each bedroom has its own bath, and although you can self cater it is not easy to shop from a distance and Otivar itself has few grocery possibilities. We opted to have the very capable palacete staff cater every meal, although we provided our own liquid refreshment. We chose the menus from their lists and they did all the shopping, prep, serving and clean-up, wonderful! I had read from one review that there was not enough food: we found there to be plenty for everyone, with left-overs. We also opted for extra cleaning help for bedrooms and baths, well worth it.

We used a mini bus service, Gonzymatis, to take us to visit Señorio de Nevada vineyard in Granada and transport guests from the coast to our party, which capped our time at the palacete.

Room Tip: All are good, all different, read the brochure to choose double or single beds, views are different...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FMH2013
There are newer reviews for Palacete de Cazulas

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I recently had the pleasure of attending a wedding here. What a location and venue! The house itself is beautiful and the views surrounding it across the valley are just amazing. It was so peaceful and quiet and from our arrival we immediately felt chilled out. The gardens were lovely and well maintained and the pool area was fantastic, especially the poolside bar!! The terrace areas were nice to sit and have a drink as a couple and also in a group. The chapel were the wedding took place was so romantic and the drinks on the front lawn with spectacular views over the surrounding countryside made it an amazing day with so many fond memories. I would highly recommend this venue for an intimate wedding or a special occasion. If food is not provided, it is best to shop at one of the supermarkets in Almunecar, as there is only a small shop in Otivar.
I would however recommend that the owners install ceiling fans in the cottages, as the rooms can be stifling, even with the shutters down. Also sensor lighting in the courtyard at the back would be great, as torches are needed after dark to reach the annex cottages.
Overall we had a fantastic time at Cazulas and intend to return to the area again in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bangorbabe
Reviewed 18 June 2013

It's hard to put into words just how spectacular El Palacete de Cazulas is. Review websites seem hardly worthy of such a hidden gem. In some ways, I didn't want to leave a review so as to keep Cazulas our wee secret, on the other hand I feel the need to spread the word about it's beauty, seclusion and wonderul history. A week before we (32 of us - full occupancy including the two annex cottages) left to spend 7 days at Cazulas for our small family wedding, I read a couple of reviews left by someone who had not enjoyed their stay. I was stunned that anyone could find fault with Cazulas. Having spent our time there, I am at a furthur loss as to what the real issues were. Cazulas is a one off. An unbelievable, dreamy, picture perfect place. It's wonderfully manicured gardens are looked after with such love that the long days toiling in the sun are well worth it. The various path ways lead down to the bottom garden where we and our guests had canapés and champagne. The views do not need praised. They are of course wonderful. Cazulas is large enough of a venue that 32 adults can 'do their own thing' without stepping on each others toes. It is however small enough to be intimate and secluded. You are safe in the knowledge that this wonderful place is all yours for the duration of your stay. Just to clear things up, the drive down to the Palacete is fine. Anyone who says otherwise is a nervous driver/passenger. Once down to Cazulas, the main house towers over you. The lovely original cobbled entrance way is an immediate sign of what's to come. The main house is the show piece of the Palacete. Restored magnificiently, the rooms have immense, high ceilings and thick stone walls to keep the rooms cool - no need for air con. Our room was the bridal suite. It's huge, with an amazing bathroom, original tiled floor, four poster bed, beautiful full length shutters, which when opened let in lovely Andalucian light. Our views were down to the gardens and beyond. Really special. I won't obviously go through all the rooms, but need less to say, they are all wonderful. Room 6 especially (one for the in-laws if you are there 'en famille' for a wedding or something similar). The house is fully equipped with a large lovely kitchen which caters for all eventualities. Everything from the smaller details to the large pieces are stunning and so well cared for. The attention to detail is something like we have never seen before. A TV room, library, living room all help you feel like this your own home for the week. Peppa the head maid is great as is the taxi mini bus driver whose name I have forgotten. Both really helpful. On the day of our wedding, we ordered 32 continental breakfasts and Peppa organised it and it was delicious. No stale croissants as mentioned by a previous visitor. The added touched like the tennis court was a real bonus. It never needed sweeping (as grumbled again by the same previous reviewer as the stale croissant issue) - when does a court need sweeping, unless you are Rafa Nadal...?? The swimming pool was great, we got it heated and it was a lovely 28 degrees all week. The private chapel was the selling point for us originally. Everytime I think back to our time there, I think about the chapel straight away. It's just so beautiful and added to the originality and emotion of our aactual wedding day. I won't go into which suppliers we used as it's not related to Cazulas although I will say that everyone we used were brilliant and English speaking so there was no issue with that. We absolutely had no need for a wedding planner - do it yourself!!! It's far more rewarding and will save you money. Do not get scraed into thinking that just because it's abroad you have to get a wedding planner - you really do not have to get one! We were looking for originality for our wedding and we certainly got that. I cannot think of anymore adjectives to describe Cazulas. It's just one of those places. Words do not do it justice and it will be forever in our hearts. Our families loved it too and really helped make the palacete shine through. We'll be back to visit Cazulas - a trip that I will look forward to for the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
14  Thank CAROLLIE27
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We have just returned from 4 days spent with close family and friends celebrating our wedding at Cazulas. It was the most amazing day and weekend and the venue really made it all so much more special! From the moment we walked into the grounds, we were in love with it as were all of our guests. Words can not describe how beautiful Cazulas is and it will hold a very special place in our hearts for many years to come! It really was everything that we could have hoped for and more.
We could not recommend it enough as a special and intimate wedding venue.
A big thanks to Richard and Peppa.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2013

As soon as my husband proposed I began to look for a wedding venue, this was my first choice. Something about it grabbed me, (I think because there was a chapel right next door to the venue, pretty lazy, I know) . We booked it without seeing it and then visited in the pouring rain of January where we met the owner, Richard for a reccy of the place. We were not disappointed - despite the awful weather, we had definitley made the right choice. We booked the big house and the two cottages for a full week to celebrate our wedding on the 25/05. The house looked even more beautiful in the sun.

What can I say, the wedding was amazing, we had 50 guests in total and everyone had positive things to say about the venue. It really is spectacular. People walked around in wonder. The chapel fit us all comfortably with only a few standing, the lower garden with excellent views of the valley hosted the cocktail hour and the gravelled area beyond the pool (where we usually sunbathed) was where we enjoyed our wedding breakfast. We cut the cake in front of the lighted pool and had our disco under the large tree beside the outside bar right there by the pool. It couldn't have been more perfect, helped by our Spanish wedding planner Jenny (why doesn't everyone have a wedding planner, perfect organisation and not a moment of stress!) and private caterers. If you are looking for a wedding venue in Spain, I can seriously say, look no further.

In terms of the house and its facilities, it was brilliant. All of the rooms (all ensuite) are different and grand. The owner Richard has clearly put a lot of time and effort sourcing beautiful furnishings, paintings and ornaments in keeping with the grandeur. This is his own home and you can see the love and attention he has paid. The Briadal suite was hugely grand, almost bigger than our flat at home!

For the first night we had organised a paella meal for everyone via Richard at the house, it was not cheap but it was well worth it and was served by the staff in the house. This was a great meal and we would recommend it, who wants to cook after travelling all day to get to your destination? The house also provided us with a minibus to collect the guests for the wedding day who were not staying with us, this was very easy to organise and better than cabs. We just got everyone to meet at McDonalds in Almunecar and then dropped them back to thier hotels at the end of the night.

You get towels on arrival including beach towels which were helpful. Kitchen was well stocked with utensils and we made use of the barbeque. Cleaners come daily but do not clean the bedrooms. There is a pool table, table tennis, bowls, sky TV (with sports channels) and free wifi which even worked by the pool and in the gardens. It was nice to catch up with things back home.

The local village of Otivar is only 15 mins drive up and down hill, there is a small shop, chemist and bank with cash point, there are two restaurants, that we saw. Both served good food. There is a bigger shop further down the hill just outside the village of Jete, you could get away with doing your weekly shop there, if needed.

Almunecar had the big supermarkets, but the beach was not that great. We preferred to drive to Nerja the next resort along. Had a nicer beach and more lively resort.

I didn't have a problem with the mountainous drive up to the house, but some did find the journey traumatic even as a passanger so be warned. This only affected about 3 in our group of 33 though, so I wouldn't let it put you off. Most people managed well and actually preferred driving at night as you can see the lights of the other vehicles coming. Just drive sensibly and take it slow and it is not a problem!

We visited the Al Hambra Palace in Granada, we booked on line before hand, it is well worth a visit. The journey there is through the sierra nevada mountains, you have to see it to believe it, breath taking!

Other than Granada and Nerja we were mainly quite content to just stay around the house and lounge by the pool. We had 5 days of perfect weather, it gets very windy and much cooler at night (there were electric heaters in each room which we found we needed at night) but this just blew away the clouds for the next morning for bright sunshine. We did not need to pay to heat the pool, just kept it covered over night.

Hayfever seemed to be a problem in our group, so come prepared if you suffer from it.
We basically all hired a car (and a 9 seater van) for the week as this was the cheapest way to get from the airport (took about 1.5 hours), starting from 60 euros from Malagar car.com, they were pretty good. We used them in January too, much cheaper than Avis and the like.

Overall, this house is beautiful, the gardens are amazing, it is a fantastic wedding venue. The booking and communication was very easy and professional. I will never forget this week. I highly recommend this rental.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank ZoeEnfield
Reviewed 1 June 2013

From the moment I walked into Cazulas I was besotted. It was so much more than I expected, even better than the photo's I'd seen . It's truly magical. Steeped in history .... beautifully restored... and eloquently kept. The gardens took my breath away, as did the view. I really loved the whole feel of the place .. Off the beaten track, away from the new and the norm ... if you want different, then this is it. The family that own and run this obviously have a passion for all things bright and beautiful. I took my children here last year (6 and 8yrs) and they loved it. It was a true palace to them. Antiques, nic naks and quirky galore. There are not many places like this around. It's not a chain of hotels and that allowed it to show its true charm .. its totally individual. With your best group of friends and family, I couldn't think of anywhere better to be.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bexwalters
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We never thought that we would be able to write such a thing following a stay away but in Cazalus we found the perfect place to stay. The surroundings were truly spectacular - among majestic mountains with breathtaking views over a lovely valley - but they were only part of it. We had wanted to stay in a grand Spanish house full of authentic architecture and atmosphere - and Cazalus was exactly that. Our beautiful room with long shuttered windows overlooked the Moorish garden - birdsong, jasmin, filtered sunshine - lovely to wake up to. We are private people and there were so many places on the estate to choose where we could relax and be secluded or(if we felt like it) spend time with other guests in the evening with a glass of wine under a flower laden pergola.
They have their own private chapel which must be wonderful for weddings and we were able to find a moment to walk in and renew our wedding vows.
We have stayed at Cazalus several times now - and feel we must be attached by an invisible length of elastic!
Love the fact that the owners are warm and friendly but in no way obtrusive. When you want a few days away that's important as so many times in other places we have had our stay spoiled by owners trying too hard to ingratiate themselves.
We just find it lovely in every respect and come away smiling - a happy time every time!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sally M

Been to Palacete de Cazulas? Share your experiences!