“Food good, service correct, management below average.”
Review of Bo.Tic

Bo.Tic
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Corca
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Girona, Spain
“Food good, service correct, management below average.”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My wife and I just came back from this restaurant. We had a menú Degustació.
Final cost 90 EUR p/p.

FOOD
Food is good. Trying a bit too much to impress and very elBulli style, yet after having been to elBulli, 41º and ElCeller we no longer get surprised by textures and shapes and will judge the food per se, and here the comparison gets cruel with Bo.Tic.
Great: the sardine entrée and a citrics dessert. Quite good also the piglet we got in exchange of lamb which we didn't want. Most things were good to very good but not memorable.

SERVICE
Perfectly correct and attentive. Very much on the traditional/robotic style of serving. Not my favourite, but no fault on them. I read some criticism on them so I guess now they are asked to be very (French) correct. I read critics on the lack of knowledge of languages. Now they speak English very well. Well above average.

MANAGEMENT- Small mistakes, slight arrogance and poor attention to detail.

- When I booked I said it was my wife's birthday. They could care less.
- I said I don't tolerate cheese. They just gave me the same dishes without the cheese. Not a single substitute for it. To the point of getting a filled roll... filled with air. Considering the Chef is a co-owner, I consider this a management mistake.
- Wine is grossly overpriced for the times being. Only a mafia guy or a herein wouldn't mind paying more than twice the retail price for most wines in the list. The iPad app is a gimmick, it doesn't bring any advantage to the wine selection process and I can see a few people getting a bit stuck with it.

- The Chef didn't come out to salute and his partner, supposedly the Maître d'Hotel, only was there to say bye and take my comments with a condescending smile and saying an unfelt "your opinion deserves respect". A bit tired of these Chefs who have a sister or partner in the dining room and they both decide that prestige should be shared. Sorry but when I go out to EAT the cook is the most important person there. If they want to share the spotlight the can start cooking themselves.

- Coffees were priced abusively. Around 3 euros each including VAT. I mentioned they had charged only one and not the one we had and they corrected and charged both coffees. A missed opportunity to have a nice detail. Have I paid more for a coffee? sure, but price here is very disproportionate to the menú pricing, just like wine. Am I the only one hating to be overcharged with lateral things after being attracted by a competitive price? Considering the fates of Drolma and Can Fabes I don't think so. Everytime I went to those places I had a bittersweet feeling due to abusive pricing.

OVERALL: Good but not great. Too much of an elBulli wannabe, and once the novelty is well past, I just can't see why little tasting small balls of tomato are better than real tomato.
I believe they should try harder to please considering they had 4 people for lunch on a Friday. Seeing that one co-owner (the chef) didn't even get out to say hi in a very relaxed workday and the other co-owner could care less about what clients think, I doubt they will get this place to keep it going up with the tough times chilling the economy and the not so great location. They are young and the chef shows talent. This place with the same chef and a really good Maître d'Hôtel would be another world. Maybe the co-owner could learn and become one. The question is, does she want to?

• Visited July 2013
5 Thank A A

New Rochelle, New York
“Excellent. Innovative tasting menu Friendly attentive service.”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We had originally booked a table inside because we were told that at the tables outside they allowed smoking. When we got there, there were no smokers, so we moved outside. The outside was covered, not like the picture on the web page. They thought it might rain.

The staff was friendly and attentive. They wear white gloves when touching glasses and cutlery and they replace the napkin when you go to the rest room. This was a nice touch. Both our servers answered all our questions about ingredients and cooking techniques in English.

We had the tasting menu. It was creative and prepared well. All the courses were cooked and presented well. And the desserts were terrific.

At the end of meal, we thanked the chef for a great meal and he thanked us for travelling all the way from NY to visit his restaurant.

Getting to this restaurant is another story. We put the address on the website into our GPS and when we were in Corca. the GPS said we had arrived. We were in the middle of nowhere and there were no restaurants around. We went back and tried it again two more times--same result. So we phoned and were told that we needed to go through the roundabout at the end of Corca and continue on a few minutes and the restaurant would be on the right. Sure enough, it was. Our meal was well worth this little inconvenience

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank mjm814
australia
“Best restaurant on our holiday”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This was a superb find! We happened to be staying in Madremanya, about 10mins drive away. We found this place on the internet, saw that it held one michelin star and tried to book it for our final night of our holiday (a friday). To our surprise they had room and we had a wonderful night. The service was great (if a little over the top for our liking - for instance staff wear white gloves when bringing you cutlery, glasses, etc), and the food even better. We had one of the degustation menus and I think out of 7 courses we liked 6 of them. All courses looked magnificent. Some had more flavour than others. We left feeling extremely full and satisfied. What a find in the middle of the countryside!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank monozygote
Paris, France
“Inspired experience, top of one star”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Inspired experience this early may week in Bo Tic. Top of the one star restaurant i've been in, cleary inflenced from Can Roca which is not an issue ! We had Special menu (the most comprehensive one) in 4. Perfect execution, molecular techniques applied somewhat on traditional revisited receipes using local ingredients. Many ideas indeed, do no look for a usual restaurant there... do not look for luxury.

Some suggestons : may be one additional meat dish instead of a couple of and of dinner pastries.

Wines on Ipad is an excellent idea, many local cheap references. There is potential for further increase for this restaurant because of the overall package and technique levels. Quick discussion at dinner end with the chef, looking for client views and listening. Service quick, many efforts to speak french (quite necessary in this area though).

Price quality balance very fair.

In a nutshell we'll be back soon. Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank olivierb857
Stamford, Connecticut
“Beware of mosquitoes”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I have a hard time grading this experience. The food was exquisite, as should be expected. However, the service was severely lacking. We were seated outside and the mosquitoes were horrific. We asked to be re-seated inside, since there were 5 empty tables in direct view. We were told we couldn’t be reseated. (The tables never filled up all night.) After asking again, we were instead given a can of bugspray and told, “it really works.” It didn’t. The can was later passed around to all of the tables outside. Even if for whatever reason they couldn’t take us inside, they clearly they knew they had a problem, since they had bugspray readily available. Try something else - bring out fans, turn down the lights, anything to deter the bugs. My husband woke up the next morning with 15 bugbites and I had 11. 5 days later they still itch.

Good food, though.