“We would choose this B&B again anytime!”

Lea House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Lea B&B and Inns
Redhill, United Kingdom
“We would choose this B&B again anytime!”
Reviewed 18 July 2010

What a super place this is - a fantastically attractive, characterful and well-kept house! Caroline is an excellent and entertaining hostess, and pays a lot of attention to ensuring her guests are comfortable. The standard of everything is very high. Loses one point overall for the slightly inconvenient shower arrangements - mean and picky of me perhaps, but otherwise I couldn't find anything to fault! Well done, Caroline!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Devon
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I feel as though we stayed at a different B&B than the other reviewers!
When we arrived early evening we were ushered in by the rather frosty, terse owner, and made to fill out forms and select breakfast before we had even put our bags down or taken our jackets off! We were not offered a choice of time for breakfast - the landlady dictated it - the first time I have ever come across that!
Although the rooms were mainly clean and comfortable, we didn't feel particularly cared for or looked after - it felt more that we were merely tolerated than welcome.
I gather the breakfasts were lovely - tho unfortunately I didn't get to take mine as I had a bad stomach!
We certainly didn't experience "the extra mile" that other guests have mentioned...
Maybe we just chose a bad day??

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank Janie56
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 August 2010
I am very sorry this guest feels she did not receive the care she expected. I am a little surprised by her first comment as it is pretty common practice to be asked to register when you arrive at a b&b or hotel. I do ask guests to choose their breakfast in the evening and, when a group arrives in the evening, as in this case, it is easier to request they do it before they disperse to their rooms. By the way, I have a 2-page menu and an AA breakfast award which means I offer too much choice to have everything available in the morning, without prior notice. As regards the breakfast times – this lady was in a group of 3 and it is a little difficult to seat everyone exactly when they want, as everything is freshly cooked by me. I believe her 2 friends actually chose the time, as far as I can recall – but I always offer a choice, although it may be a little earlier or later than their first preference, if others have already booked those slots. On the morning of their stay, I was told by her friend that this lady wanted to sleep in as she was unwell, so we did not disturb her, nor ask her to vacate the room, which meant they did not eventually leave till nearly noon, which delayed our changeover process considerably. This we accepted with good grace and made no extra charge.
Isle of Man
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Lea House is situated in a really nice village, surrounded by beautiful countryside. The house is lovely and we stayed in the "Hay Loft" room, which was a large bedroom with ensuite. The decor was quaint and the room was spotlessly clean and well equipped. Caroline goes the extra mile and there were lots of little touches that make all the difference - not just a hairdryer, but shoe cleaning, hot water bottle, the offer of a flask of fresh milk if you prefer to the little plastic cartons- to name a few... oh, and even a room rabbit soft toy! The guest information file, full of. local places to visit, and reinforcing the friendly welcome was very useful and there were current magazines in the room and WIFI. The gardens at Lea House are beautiful for guests to relax in, or there is a CAMRA pub a few doors along which serves good pub food at reasonable prices. We chose Lea House because Caroline has gained the coveted "egg cup" award for her breakfasts and we weren't disappointed, home made bread, fresh local produce and not just the traditional English breakfast but fresh fruit, smoked haddock - nothing was too much trouble. There is so much to do in the local area, we visited the Birds of Prey Centre and Goodrich Castle and went canadian canoeing on the River Wye, we will definately pay another visit and would recommend Lea House if you are looking for a special place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 19 June 2010

We have recently stayed at Lea House in the ‘Hayloft’ room and found the room to be anything but a hayloft, everything about it is spotlessly and immaculately kept as indeed is the rest of the house and grounds. Caroline is the perfect host with a local knowledge par excellence of every aspect of your visit to the area with helpful hints on how to get the best from your stay. Breakfasts are simply superb. We stayed three nights and enjoyed it so much we asked if we could stay a further night. Yes said Caroline and you can have a 10% discount on your whole stay if you are doing four nights instead of three .We wouldn’t have known this or expected it (she didn’t have to offer it ) as we were only so glad to be able to stay the extra night in such a lovely place. So any suggestion as in a previous review by people who have never even visited this charming house and met the host personally that she was greedy or a hardnosed business woman is totally out of order. She is a very fair person who goes out of her way to look after her guests to a very high degree and we would certainly recommend her and Lea House to the most discerning clientele.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gre1951
England
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Caroline's B&B lived up to our expectations. She was the perfect host: attentive without being intrusive, informative and engaging. And a breakfast to die for. We stayed here during the Hay Literary Festival. A good drive away but a chance to enjoy the Golden Valley route in warm sunshine.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GreedyGourmet
yorkshire
Reviewed 1 June 2010

1st class guesthouse, we stayed there for a week. Everything about Lea House was superb, from the bedroom, the visitors' lounge, dining area through to the well-kept garden in which we were invited to relax. Mrs Anderson's excellent advice on local eating places and visitor attractions was very helpful and welcome. She certainly went the extra mile and beyond, even loaning guests ordnance survey maps of the area for the duration of their stay. The breakfasts were a delight, including local produce, home baked bread and home made conserves. All in all, our stay at Lea House was one to remember.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank womblewellington
Beckenham
Reviewed 23 May 2010

We booked to stay 3 nights in July & sent a deposit but 3 months before our visit because of circumstances outside our control we had to telephone to ask Caroline if we could change our dates to the previous week and also decided to stay an extra night. She said she had those 4 days free but we would have to lose half of our deposit. We felt that was really greedy and would detract from the enjoyment of our stay. It was not what you would expect from a friendly B&B. We were not cancelling our visit just moving the dates by a week. We wrote to her explaining how we felt and asking her to reconsider but the outcome was her taking our deposit and cancelling our booking. Our impression is of a hard-nosed business woman who puts profit before people: not quite the warm and friendly ethos we had hoped for!

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Glenise
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 May 2010
As this is the first negative review I have received, I obviously take it very seriously and I am very sorry that these would-be guests feel this way. However, when a booking is made at Lea House, it is made very clear that a 25% non-refundable deposit is required to secure the dates requested. Unfortunately this couple wished to change to a new date and therefore cancel their original booking. As a gesture of goodwill I offered to return half the deposit which I felt was a fair compromise. They resisted and said they wished to cancel if I did not refund the total deposit taken. My business is my livelihood and therefore I must take a businesslike attitude in the way I run it. I am sorry if this is not appreciated by all.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lea
The King's Head Hotel
#7 of 42 in Ross-on-Wye
Wilton Court Hotel
Wilton Court Hotel
#1 of 42 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to Lea House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!