“First class”

Ranked #1 of 2 Lea B&B and Inns
Coventry, United Kingdom
“First class”
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Excellent breakfast and accommodation. The owner gave helpful advice on the area which contributed to the enjoyment of our stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Almeria, Spain
Reviewed 9 August 2010

This is a charming bed and breakfast in a lovely rural location. The service is efficient and superb breakfasts with delicious local provenance set you up for a day's sightseeing! The rooms are comfortable and the village is quiet, but ideally situated for exploring the Wye valley and into Wales. Our schedule meant we didn´t really have time to take advantage of the pretty garden and the beautiful lounge, with its fascinating ornaments. There is a wealth of information for the visitor to the area available at Lea House, and we have no hesitation in recommending Lea House to other visitors to the area.

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights, Caroline was very helpful making sure we had plenty of information about local places to visit -even loaning us a map with everything marked on it! It got us out of a couple of difficult loction spotting incidents! We ate at Lea House on the day of our arrival-Caroline is an excellent cook-and she's willing to share her recipe for homemade ice cream-delicious. I worked my way through the breakfast menu-I can recommend everything and Caroline was obliging enough to cook me an excellent marmalade omelette on my last day-I have suggested she adds it to her menu!! Really comfortable bed and huge bedroom. Great location. Recommended

Liverpool
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We spent 2 very enjoyable nights at Lea House last week. The House was easy to find, and though it is 4 miles from Ross on Wye, was still in a picturesque and convenient spot. We stayed in the Cider Room, which was fairly large, comfortable and spotlessly clean. Caroline provides a tea tray which is re-stocked every day with tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc. and a jar of cookies which we thought was a lovely touch, we have stayed in 5 star hotels who do not provide this. The bathroom for this particular room was next door (I think all other rooms have en-suite) but as it was ours exclusively and was very well stocked with complimentary toiletries this was not a problem. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice, and although Caroline does try to steer you towards a specific time, she did accommodate us when we needed an early start. Lea House has WI FI, and will even lend you a net book if you need it.
Caroline reccommended an Indian resaurant in the village of Lower Lydbrook callled River Spice which we tried, and it was fantastic, one of the best Indian meals we've had. The second night, exhausted from a 14 mile canoe trip we decided to fall into the pub next door, and although like the last reviewer we found the service slow, it was just great to be able to walk next door and not have to drive anywhere, as so often happens when staying somewhere rural.
All in all, fantastic value for money, at £65 a night, We certainly would not expect anything more in this price range. Thanks to Caroline for a lovely stay.

Walton-on-Thames
Reviewed 20 July 2010

A good B&B and I'd recommend it to anyone. Slight negative on being asked to choose breakfast for the next morning immediately on arrival. Could ask for more leeway here, maybe fill out a tick list and leave it downstairs? No breakfast if you forget? Just a thought. Food is excellent, we also had an evening meal and loved it. Avoid eating in the pub next door except for fresh sandwiches.

Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2010

What a super place this is - a fantastically attractive, characterful and well-kept house! Caroline is an excellent and entertaining hostess, and pays a lot of attention to ensuring her guests are comfortable. The standard of everything is very high. Loses one point overall for the slightly inconvenient shower arrangements - mean and picky of me perhaps, but otherwise I couldn't find anything to fault! Well done, Caroline!

Devon
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I feel as though we stayed at a different B&B than the other reviewers!
When we arrived early evening we were ushered in by the rather frosty, terse owner, and made to fill out forms and select breakfast before we had even put our bags down or taken our jackets off! We were not offered a choice of time for breakfast - the landlady dictated it - the first time I have ever come across that!
Although the rooms were mainly clean and comfortable, we didn't feel particularly cared for or looked after - it felt more that we were merely tolerated than welcome.
I gather the breakfasts were lovely - tho unfortunately I didn't get to take mine as I had a bad stomach!
We certainly didn't experience "the extra mile" that other guests have mentioned...
Maybe we just chose a bad day??

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank Janie56
hollysmum_8, Owner at Lea House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 August 2010
I am very sorry this guest feels she did not receive the care she expected. I am a little surprised by her first comment as it is pretty common practice to be asked to register when you arrive at a b&b or hotel. I do ask guests to choose their breakfast in the evening and, when a group arrives in the evening, as in this case, it is easier to request they do it before they disperse to their rooms. By the way, I have a 2-page menu and an AA breakfast award which means I offer too much choice to have everything available in the morning, without prior notice. As regards the breakfast times – this lady was in a group of 3 and it is a little difficult to seat everyone exactly when they want, as everything is freshly cooked by me. I believe her 2 friends actually chose the time, as far as I can recall – but I always offer a choice, although it may be a little earlier or later than their first preference, if others have already booked those slots. On the morning of their stay, I was told by her friend that this lady wanted to sleep in as she was unwell, so we did not disturb her, nor ask her to vacate the room, which meant they did not eventually leave till nearly noon, which delayed our changeover process considerably. This we accepted with good grace and made no extra charge.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lea
The King's Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llangrove
The Bridge House
The Bridge House
#4 of 43 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to Lea House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!