“Fantastic resort with lovely staff”

Eftalia Aqua Resort
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Turkler
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Let me apologise in advance for this long review and sorry if I ramble abit!

Just returned from a relaxing stay at this beautiful resort. We were there from 24th June til 1st July. I don't write reviews a lot but felt compelled to this time. I read a lot of the reviews before I went and was slightly apprehensive of what it would be like but a holiday is what you make it.
This was our first time in Turkey and Antalya is such a beautiful region.

TRANSFER
When we arrived at Antalya airport we were greeted with lots of reps and huge smiles and welcomes from everyone along the way to our coach.
The journey itself is quite a long time (2 hours) but it was through some gorgeous scenery and the air conditioned coach made it ok.

ARRIVAL
We were greeted by our lovely rep Vicky who helped us check in. We were then taken to our room by the bellboy and shown the various different amenities in our room. Unfortunately out patio doors were faulty and didn't lock so as we were on the ground floor we didn't feel it was safe. A visit to reception said they had no more family rooms available so was told we could have a deluxe suite incl jacuzzi for free but after being shown it by Vicky we decided against it because whilst the room was lovely it would have meant 2 more beds added in which would have made it cramped because we were 4 adults (my kids being 18 & 19) Reception immediately sent someone over to fix the locks on our doors so all was fine.

ACCOMMODATION
We had a family room on the ground floor of one of the annexes and it was AMAZING. So spacious with 2 bedrooms (1 with double bed & 1 with 2 single beds plus couch). Free safe in room and free mini-bar that got replenished 4 times during our week there. Also there is a hair dryer provided. The air conditioning is really good. The maids are absolutely lovely. Cleaned our rooms every day, left clean towels (although they only ever gave us 3 bath towels). A few smiles and a small tip goes a long way. They made our beds differently every day and left flower petals and made our blankets into swans one day. On our 2nd to last day she gave us a bottle of wine which we didn't take because we don't drink and on our last day she knocked and gave us all hugs.

WI-FI
This is free and was a bit hit and miss and sometimes quite slow but it did work!

RESORT
The resort is huge. There are numerous pools and so many places to sunbathe and eat, both by the actual hotel and on the beach (Eftalia island), that I didn't bother counting! Eftalia island is reached via a small underpass that you walk through and then you are in heaven. Gorgeous grounds with gazebos everywhere. Beachfront restaurants, snack bars, patisserie, shops, ice creams etc. millions of big slides and a brilliant kiddies pool area with pirate ship etc. We did put out towels on the sunbeds at 8:30am (free towels provided by the spa in hotel). Lots of sunbeds and parasols free but some people were rude and try to steal yours!

FOOD
The food could be better because it is geared more towards Eastern European people and not so much towards English. But there was plenty and it was always fresh and there was lots of choice as long as you're not too picky. I loved the rice and salad bar. The chicken and fish were nice too. But beware of the millions of flies which can't be helped because of the closed one end/open one end design of the restaurant. You get one free a la carte meal per week and we dined at the grill restaurant on the beachfront which was a lovely tasty meal with attentive staff.

STAFF
The staff at eftalia are amazing and as long as you are polite they will do anything for you. ADNAN at the lobby bar and Efes beer bar was outstanding always ready with a big smile and a greeting of "How are you?" and "See you later". The lady standing outside the restaurant every morning to greet you with a beautiful smile. The boys inside the restaurant clearing the plates always ready to smile and have a joke with you. Our bellboy who always shouted hello when he saw us.

GUESTS
I had hoped that the other reviews about rude guests were exaggerated but unfortunately they are true. They really don't think that they need to queue! I did meet some really lovely people from England there.

SPA
Myself and my daughter had a fab Turkish hammam in the hotel spa on our first full day there. Sauna, Steam, Jacuzzi, Full body peeling, foam massage, face mask, full body massage all for £25 each (90 lira).

DAY TRIPS
We didn't book any excursions with Thomson. We took the free bus provided by the hotel on the wedsnesday morning at 10am to Konakli market and had a wonder around for 2 hours. The coach took us back to the hotel at 12:30. Then on Friday we took the local Dolmus into Alanya which cost 16 lira for 4 adults. Just walk to the main road outside the hotel, take a left and cross over the main road via the flyover. At the bottom of the stairs there is a barrier but if you look to the right there is a break in the barrier. This is where you flag down the bus to Alanya. The bus drivers are all lovely and willing to help you. Trip took about 25 mins and you just get off at the bus station. There we walked thru market and went to the harbour which is stunning. You do get hassled by the locals asking to take you on the boats or to take you up to the castle but just be polite and smile and they leave you alone. Walk through the shipyard at the end of the marina and you can buy tickets for 10 lira each that gets you entrance to the following 3 places:- the shipyard with stunning breathtaking views, the red tower and also Damlatas Cave which is by Cleopatra beach (no4 bus from bus station).
On another day we went into Alanya again and took the no 4 bus from the far side of the bus station up to the castle for 2 lira each. Entrance to the castle was 15 lira each. Breathtaking views but not that big!
I have to say that on the way back from our first visit we got lost trying to find the correct bus stop and the locals were so nice. Coming over and helping us. It must've been obvious that we hadn't a clue so they took pity on us! In the event we got a taxi back to the hotel for 50lira after haggling it down from 75lira

SUMMARY
All in all it was an amazing stay which made our first visit to Turkey quite special. Yes there are rude people there but there are anywhere. Yes the food could be improved but only because of different tastebuds and I quite enjoyed everything after the first day! We certainly never went hungry. We didn't encounter any trouble during our stay but did see that the window in the Efes beer bar was smashed one day. It is a huge resort with amazing facilities with staff that work round the clock keeping it clean. Go with the intention of enjoying yourself and I'm sure you will have a fantastic time. :D

• Stayed: June 2014
19  Thank ms_ling_69
Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel from 19th June for a week. Arrived at hotel at 4 in the morning, Room basic but clean .No problem with communication with staff.Food was very basic the same food was served for lunch and dinner at the buffet resturant? The food consisted of pasta, rice, chips, salad, burgers and fish. Breakfast was terrible only went twice in the end we decided to wait to 12 to eat at the snack bars. The beach was amazing we didn't expect it as wasn't promoted on thomsons website. It consisted of a whole stretch of pools, bars and resturants. During day the resturants was snack bars and night al carte. Slides were great at hotel and beach no waiting time. The entertainment was the worst I have seen. Lots of Russians and Germans that were extremely rude. Great week overall but a week was enough for us.

7  Thank lorraine m
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Visited here from the 7th to the 14th June, beautifull hotel, clean, rooms cleaned everyday, food was brilliant, only downfall was wifi didnt work all week. We were put in a room over looking a farm which was not pleasent, we asked if we could change rooms and thanks to our thomson rep, we were put in a presidential suit, over looking pool and sea, it was one of the best rooms in the hotel, the hotel is full of germans and russians who have now patientnce and wont wait in ques etc instead they will push there way through, staff are pleasent, over all we had a brillilant time. Alanya is about a 20 miunete bus ride from outside the hotel.

3  Thank sab37
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Got there at 4 am in the 10th June rooms not ready had to wait an hour with my 3 yr old grandson when we got our room some polish woman went to attack me as my grandson was excited and making noise. The slides and pools great but to many ignorant pl for me good was rotten breakfast was pancakes lunch we did at beach as that was the best place to eat night food was rotten drinks man the served me rotten vodka in the 24 hour bar that wasn't even vodka more like paint stripper was ill just with the smell of it and if u want to keep ur room on u can't hotel is over booked will not be back

2  Thank SHAZZA01
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived on the morning of the 21st at 4am rooms spotless lovley friendly staff and plenty of pools and slides we have one 7 year old he loved the slides and beach a short walk, watch the small shop as they rip you off, place is full of Russians and very busy at meal times had soup and me and my husband had food poisoning on the wed and still have spent 3 days in our room with diarrhoea stomach cramps and vomiting evening entertainment was rubbish we were bored every night and it was to far into the nearest town all catered for the Russian german and polish but the rooms were great fridge stocked with coke fanta and beer clean towels and sheets bus transfer from the airport 2hours I wouldn't go back here if there was more entertainment bars and stuff to do maybe yes

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rebecca D
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This hotel doesn't cater for English in any way what so ever!!!! My daughter was only asked two day prior to leaving if she wanted to go into the kids club as there wasn't enough German or Russian kids to go in!!! While we were there we saw 5 fights, people getting hand cuffed and police there, a man picked a chair up and threw it through a window while watching the football... Reception staff were very rude and their English was very poor.... We had to pay €5 for cocktails and orange juice at breakfast time.... So much for all inclusive!!! The kids slides were only open from 10-12 every day.... The man in the hotel shop was very rude, told me I wasn't allowed to look round I had to buy buy buy!!!!! You are also allowed to eat down on the beech which we didn't get told about until 2 days before we left. When we asked why no one had informed us if this we were told it was because we were English!!!!!! Which is very unfair.... We'd payed to stay there just as much as any German or Russian family had...... Overall this was the worst holiday by far and we wanted to come home after the first week... I will defiantly not be recommending this hotel to anyone and I have written a letter of complaint to my travel agent!!!!!! Anyone thinking of going here don't waste your money.... Defiantly not a 5* hotel or service!!!!! Terrible!!!!

4  Thank samantha093
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just back from a 2week break. Arrived at 3am and had our rooms ready but put us in small rooms although we paid for family rooms, after some conversations with the manager we moved the next day. Rooms are spotless, maids in everyday although they short change you on the towels, we sometimes had 2 between 4 of us. Walls are paper thin, can hear every little thing and because most folk at this hotel are rude they didnt care how much noise they made! Mini bar wasn't stocked everyday like it was meant to and again after talks with the rep that changed and got mini bar every 2nd day. There's a market every wed and hotel puts on 2 buses, the amount of people waiting would frighten you! I had a baby and carried her so pram could be folded down and when bus arrived all hell broke loose! Everyone pushing and shoving as if there was some type of world disaster was happening, my little boy was pushed out the way by a 40 something woman all for a seat on the bus! On the back it was worse, I tried to get on the bus with my baby and again people were pushing my baby to get in the bus, now she's 10months and a elderly woman had her elbow at her chest to move her out the way, I ended up shouting so loud to say I had a baby and to watch her, I was shaking due to the shear volume of people. I wouldn't recommend going to the market unless you had to get a taxi. The water park was fab, plently to do there. U have to watch ur kids all the time, life guards were a bit useless! Theres also a huge pool at the other end of the hotel, one warning it can get very slippery id recommend pool shoes for kids. The beach is a short walk under tunnel and has extended from last year, lots of slides for kids and adults and a big pirate ship so plenty to do. Although ques for drinks/ice cream can be bad! The hotel food is good not brilliant just average. Again ques can be long and people cutting in can be frustrating! My son and baby got ill with the soup, one was sick and the other got bad runs due to eating it! And 2 other members of my family got ill with the food so be casreful. Going later for brekky and dinner is better so much more quiter! The people in the hotel are mostly Germans and Russians who have the most attitude and rudeness I've ever seen. Its disgusting how they treat you, that's what I hated about this hotel, cutting the que for the lift when I have a pram was a joke and they could have just went up about 10stairs to reach the lobby. I'd highly recommend going out of hotel up a small dirt road to local market for choc/sweets even inflatable rings/lilos, they charge more than double at hotel but at market great local prices! If you want into alanya town its a 20-30min bus journey which costs 3 1/2 tl which is 1pound, ask ur rep where to get bus as its too hard to explain on here. Alanya town is lovely the harbour is gorg with the big pirate ships although u will get hassled from people to get on their boat. Overall there's plenty to do at this hotel, most staff are friendly, the hotel just needs to keep up with the growing number of guests. You do need to push the manager to get stuff sorted or they wont do it. If you don't like so many Germans/Russians please don't come here cause its a hot spot for them. I don't think I'll be back due to them unfortunately

Room Tip: If you small kids you need a family room, they will try pawn u off with a 4 man room and class that...