“£1k more for the same in Spain!!”

Club Mermaid Village
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Turkler
Dundee, United Kingdom
“£1k more for the same in Spain!!”
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Myself,wife and 3 kids have just returned from a great 2 week stay and Club Mermaid,kids aged 16,15 and 2.There is always going to be a few minus points for a holiday which costs £2k for 5 people for 2 weeks all inclusive so im not going to dwell on these minor issues others seem to capatalise on.I can only speak for us and the people we met that the Club Mermaid is a fantastic place for the price.Imagine this....,you arrive tired at 5 in the morning after longish transfer and get to the room to realise you have forgotten the baby buggy at the airport!!!,oh my god we all thought,80 miles there and back and only if it was there at all?.How do we get 2 yr old to sleep for 2 weeks without it!!.Down i go to reception at half 9 and tell them of my panic.The manager came out and i explained to him.He took me back into his office,got me coffee and biscuits and called the airport in Turkish after doing all the donkey work on the internet for me and found the buggy registered at lost and found.He then got me a private car at 12 with driver who took me straight to airport,right to lost and found and there it was,thank god!!,i was then as it was lunch time taken to a authentic turkish restaurant up a back street and treated to a local kebab meal with many trimmings,at no charge(obviously i had to pay for the car and him to drive me which was very reasonable),then on way back to hotel he went to a garage to get me a can of red bull(must have looked weiry,haha),was back in resort by 4 a very happy man indeed.Anyway back to resort.The eldest kids we barely saw because they were in a safe complex and met many friends,the wee one was loved by all the staff from waitresses to cleaners,who gave him lots of hugs and kisses,love kids in Turkey and do not be offended by there genuine love of kids,especially a blond 2 year old.They gave him cars to play with at the table and everything so fab.Please understand one thing,if you are polite and friendly and treat people with the respect they deserve they will always smile back.Germans were ok but the russkies....well.The little man enjoyed his routines too which included feeding the 6 ducks at the ala carte pond,throwing stones in the waterfall etc.As for the drinks rule,we were delighted the 16 and 15 yr old were given different coloured bands for their wrist,this meant no alcohol to be served and if alcohol was on their table and no adult present it was taken away,a very simple but effective idea.2 drinks is enough at a time and if there is 3 of you then 2 of you go to the bar at same time.....its not difficult!!!,food was reasonably repetative but always found plenty to eat and great variations of local cuisine to try,if you dont like if leave it but at least youve tried it.Overall a great 1st experience of Turkey and will go back,bye bye Spain and you overcharging ways!!.We took Euro and Lira and this was a good mix,buses cheap as chips and plentiful with good conductors who help with stops etc.Go and have a great time at the Mermaid and if you go with an open mind and not nit pick the stupidest things then you will have a fantastic experience.

3 Thank Rgunited57

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
northampton
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Just returned from our 2 week family holiday at club mermaid, Alanya ......Here is my review...

1) Location....Not great....it is not the middle of nowhere but quite far away from the main town of alanya and 100 miles away from Antalya airport ( expect a long transfer ) our transfer was 2 1/2 hours but we met people there that took longer ( 3 - 4 hours ) .....

2) Check in / room ... Check in was swift and easy then shown to our room ( room 1302 ) nice view of the relax pool but on the 3rd and top floor with no lift and after two weeks of up and down the stairs it takes it out of you...other than that room clean, comfortable and a complimentry mini bar consisting of a carton of fruit juice, 2 ltr bottle of water and 2 bottles of sparkling water......be advised you only get this once and is never replenished.....

3) Restaurant....plenty big enough but up stairs so anyone with walking dificulties may strugglea bit....food was ok not as good as some parts of turkey we have been to but enough to eat and plenty of choice...

4) Bars.. This is where it gets a bit stupid....pool area bar clean and serves all inc drinks all day from 10 - 6......after this you must use the anfi bar at the animation area......there is a silly rule of only being allowed 2 drinks per person.....HOW PATHETIC....a family we met had 2 adults and 1 child so could get the 2 adults a drink but then had to queue up again to get there 6 year old a drink.....this needs addressing but they will never change it....

5)... PROBLEMS.....One day i lost my necklace and thankfully was handed in by a dutch tourist to the hotel reception.....when i went to reception to get it back i was told that i had to prove it was mine as and i quote" It didnt have my name on it"...get real its a gold necklace not a school t-shirt....i showed the gent my ring and watch and said my name isnt on these so do i have to prove these are mine aswell........i was made to feel like a criminal and lost a lot of confidence in the place then.......secondly one evening i couldnt get my safe open ..so i trecked to reception and told them what happened only to be asked....what do i need my safe open for....hello its my safe and it has my belongings in it....why wouldnt i want it open......they told me that it could not be opened untill 9am the following morning...to be honest i think they just like to be akward towards english....anyway after about half hour i got it open so problem solved.....

6) Plus points... Met a lot of good people here.....Mark, leona, Anita, Lorna, Si, chan and kids, Ian and family, the 2 scousers,,,,sorry guys cant remeber ya names and anyone else we met ...you guys made our holiday and without you all we would of gone insane so a big thank you to each and everyone of you......also Sebastian, veddy, louisa, checov, monica and all other animation team you guys were amazing and we want to thank you for all your effort we love you and miss you all....

Forgot to mention for an all inclusive hotel all you get is food and drink...everything else has to be paid for and for me that is not all inclusive

Overall a good holiday but only thanks to the company we met up with......would i go back here...No but the only reason is purely for the location and what ya dont get for ya money.....still an enjoyable holiday and average hotel..........thanks for reading and if you go try and enjoy.....

Room Tip: Get a room with a pool view as all other views are not that good
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I arrived at Mermaid Hotel early morning and was greeted by a lovely receptionist. He welcomed us, showed us to the room and didn't hang around for a tip, we still tipped but it was nice to see he wasn't expecting it.

our first thoughts were 'oh my god, what have we done'. Our garden view was a pile of sand and wood and the room was basic. But when the day dawned and we went to breakfast, things seemed a lot better. The room was spotless and you get used to the odd car going past your balcony.

The entertainment wasn't brilliant, but what was expected from an all inclusive hotel. They were brilliant with the children and on a whole it was quite funny. We didn't see it every night but people seemed to enjoy it!

The waiters were excellent, Managers constantly surveyed the place and made sure everything was clean. Every day we saw AT LEAST 3 managers checking the cleanliness of the place which we thought was brilliant.

The food wasn't amazing, I found the Germans and Russians were catered for better than the English were, but you always found something, the bread was brilliant and never ran out. The salads were or a huge variety and if you're confident with eating meat, there was always a hot meat meal on offer.

Buses - if you want to shop, take the shuttle bus to the bottom of the road. cross the road and flag down any bus going to Alanya. It will cost you 3.5 lira each at most. In Alanya you will find lots of shops and places to eat, cheap as chips. Do not use a taxi, 60 lira one way. Absolute rip off.

Lastly, first aid. I had a reaction whilst at Mermaid and had to call a doctor from the onsite facility. He was there within 10 minutes and was extremely friendly. After my injection i suffered an anaphylactic fit, they were brilliant and did not leave until my pulse had returned to normal.

MY ADVICE:
Give it one day to get used to
Go to breakfast and dinner as soon as it opens to get a nice seat
Use the pool bar for daytime coffees and snacks
Use the laundry service if you're packing light, cheap and quick!
If you can use euros, then do, they prefer this to any other currency
Make sure you have emergency cash as they do no accept card at reception
Enjoy it, use the shuttle bus and public transport

I spent a week here and was worried after reading reviews. Just remember to push the Russians and Germans back as much as they push you - you have paid just as much to be there as they have.

I would recommend this place 100%

* Clean
* Friendly staff
* Lots of food
* Easy access out
* It just takes a day to get the hang of routine!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are for 3 or less people, quieter than family block
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank PhoebeTann
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Just come back on the 1st oct 2011 from this Hotel and what a week it has been.
People will say when in Turkey knock off a star off the Hotel Grade. This is a 4 star hotel and a very good one at that. The only reason I think this is not a 5 star is because of the location? Having said that, Alanya is about 25 mins away on a bus that runs from the Hotel or on the main road a 10 min walk away and it costs 6 lira, not much is it and not a big deal either. The beach isn't the best granted but that isn't the hotels fault, you can travel out to other beaches. However I am a pool person and the pools are excellent especially the small one renamed "LITTLE BRITAIN". The big pool has water slides which the adults use more than the children.
The food here was good and varied, I was here for a week and I didn't get bored of it. If you go for longer then you may become tired of it, so go at least once to the A la carte restaurant on site. OK it ISN'T part of the all inclusive package, but I went to Egypt this year aswell and the A la carte WASN'T included there either, so this in normal. It is worth spending money for 1 night isn't it? You won't get a good steak at home for a fiver so have one in Turkey. There is also a BBQ everyday just as lunch time starts in the restaurant, so you won't starve. And also the pancakes in the afternoon are worth having. These are also free but tipping the lady who makes them is a must. When you see her make them you will know what I mean.
One downside are the Bloody Russians and Rude Germans you have to encounter but hey we know what there like, just be as rude and don't be too polite when it comes to queueing.
The drinks system is max 2 drinks which is fine unless your an alcoholic. People complain about this. how many drinks can you drink at any one time????? The bar finishes at 12 midnight which a lot of hotels in Turkey finish at 11pm.
I could go on abou tthis place but all am saying is, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED unless your Victor Meldrews Family.
Hotel rooms were great.I had a twin with a pool view and a great shower and flat screen TV in room. What more can I say?
Ally and his beautiful wife were very welcoming and sat with us most evenings in the bar. any problems were rectified immediately. If your looking for a great holiday in Alanya then Club Mermaid is the place to be.....HAPPY FRIENDS! You know who you are! Thanks for a great week guys, until the reunion! Keith and Tony from Liverpool.

Room Tip: Choose a transfer with a max of 4 stops. Still 2 hours to hotel from aiport but it will be longer if...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

just returned fro our two week holiday,we had a lovely time,hotel lovely and clean,pools clean,slides on twice a day for 45 mins,food nice but repetative ok if u eat alot of chicken and liver,pancakes nearly every morning apart from the two days we had waterery eggs,beach ok but nowt sparkling,met some lovely people the animation team especially,some of the waiters was ok but rest of them ignorant,reception cant understand ya if your english and they are very rude too,our room was lovely but be prepared for the air conditioning not working,so we had to sleep with the doors and windows open,entertainment finished and 22.30 and then u had to pay for ya drinks after midnight.they have a disco twice a week at the hotel other days its in the town centre.theres no cinema although it does show u directions to it,the beach is not as close as it says but theres a tractor that takes and brings u back,but dont listen to the really bad comments that some people have put on here its a lovely clean hotel and the holiday is what u make it.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2011

I have recently returned from a week at club mermaid village...what can I say apart from the fact that we had a brilliant time there!
We arrived early hours in the morning after a long journey welcomed by the receptionist and offered something to eat which was great as we were starving! The food we were given was fresh salad and bread with some ham and cheese...lovely!!
Our room was fantastic we ended up with a family suite over 2 floors which overlooked the pool. As there was only 2 of us we were very impressed with more than enough room.
We made lots English friends and we also met some great people from holland. We all became good friends with Ally the hotel owner, he would sit with us nearly every night and have a drink with us! I think he thought we were all crazy but he enjoyed our company and the feeling was mutual. He treated us like royalty and did a couple of really special things for us...to all our friends u know what I mean!
We also made good friends with a couple of members of the animation team and learnt the club dance down to a T! We would all stand up at the back of the bar area and would participate every night! The bar staff and waiters were great and we would always have a laugh and a joke with them even if they didn't understand us half the time lol! We did try and learn some of the language but would forget most of it by the next day. I would give us 10/10 for effort!
The food was really good aswell there was always something that you could eat. Breakfast and evening meal was always in the restaurant whereas for lunch you could either have something by the pool bat or in the upstairs restaurant. On our first day we were impressed by the chicken kebab meat and chips. Alot of the reviews are people complaining about the lack of English food...hello you are in turkey for god sake! If you want an English breakfast every morning then go to Blackpool!! The salad bar was huge and so was the dessert section and the bread was so fresh it was lovely. I advise you to eat in the a la carte restaurant, you do have to pay but so what its nice to eat somewhere different and have a romantic meal. I would also like to point out that the Russians are very rude but you need to understand that us British are brought up with manners, well most of us anyway, Russians aren't so you need to either bite your lip and just get on with it or just be a s rude as they are!
The pancakes that are handmade by the Turkish lady are amazing although if you have too many you won't eat your tea which is what I found out one evening.
All in all we had a fantastic week and we will hopefully be returning next year. So Ally if you are reading this we look forward to seeing you and all your staff again, we would also like to say thank you for a brilliant week at club mermaid village xxbecky&ryanxx

• Stayed September 2011
durham
Reviewed 30 September 2011

just got back from club mermaid village ..this is the truth,
this hotel is not all inc it is PART INCLUSIVE,
1) pool table
2)fitness room
3)fresh orange
4)crazy golf (gone not there)
5)billiards
6)towels
7)safe
8)basket ball
9)tennis
10)mini football
and more...this is what you pay for
all the rest is free.
this hotel is clean ..rooms are good cleaned everyday by maids
pools are good cleaned everyday.slides on three times a day if lucky for 20 mins
FOOD..good food salad all fresh and food ok if you like chicken in bread crumbs ,chicken in batter,
chicken in stew,chicken in soup almost everyday chicken..oops sometimes turkey..lol
THE BEACH ..dirty ,rocky,pay for mattress for sunbeds thats it for the beach
THE DRINKS,good beer and vodka,whiskey,raki,gin..dont listen to people saying small glasses they are pint tumblers round pool and 3/4 pint glasses at night you are aloud two drinks at a time but once you put them on table you can go back for more
overall i would give this hotel a 3* not 4* cos of having to pay for some little pleasures
GREED comes to mind also most staff are freindly and funny

Room Tip: do not ask for rooms near quiet pool all entertainment is right next to rooms NOISY until 12am ask...
3 Thank keith r r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turkler
Alan Xafira Deluxe Resort & Spa
#1 of 14 in Turkler
Eftalia Aqua Resort
Eftalia Aqua Resort
#8 of 14 in Turkler

Been to Club Mermaid Village? Share your experiences!