“It was going well and then ...”
Review of The Stowey Arms

The Stowey Arms
Ranked #2 of 2 Exminster B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The room I stayed in was comfortable, the bed was firm but comfortable and the room itself was bright, clean and I was glad to have a walk in shower. The system to get from the bar to my room was a nightmare as it was all done by a keypad at doors and having mobility problems going up and downstairs when the door entry system was so difficult to cope with meant that after my evening meal I stayed in the bedroom which was not terrible as it was comfortable and the TV was OK, as long as the signal remained constant. My problems started with a shower the next morning which took about 10 minutes to warm up. I had a lovely shower and felt enlivened only to be utterly disappointed when I came to use my bath towel ... it had a previous user's stains on it! My disappointment did not stop there as I went down to breakfast which had obviously been set out the night before with cling film over the sugar bowl which meant that when I looked inside the sugar bowl there were two ants entrapped in there running around like they were in a velodrome. Suffice to say I shall not be returning!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank KatefromChard

Reviewed 8 June 2013

Although local we have not been to the Stowey Arms for some time., but as it was not far away thought it nice to revisit. The past visits have always been good, but this time we were very disappointed. The meals appeared to be micro waved in most cases, and were probably bought in with a price which may appear to be profitable, but the final presentation proves different. Whilst the young lad was polite etc, he was inexperienced and it may be the chef was as well. Looking around we noticed others leaving some items as most had the same. Hopefully, next time we visit things will be back on track. A tip though, give the onion rings a miss they were left behind on most dishes.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank redlandrover
Reviewed 24 December 2012

The pub offers both English and italian food. The Chef, Antonio is brilliant and his food is far better than the Italian restaurants in Exeter itself. I can highly reccomend the pizza's which Antonio impressively spins on his hands. We even asked for a vegetarian pasta dish one day and although there was nothing on the menu Antonio created for us an amazing Sicillian pasta dish with aubergine, courgette and pesto. It was easily the best pasta dish we have ever eaten out. Under the new management I expect this restaurant to go from strength to strength.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2012

What a great find! We stayed in nearby cofton and went in search of a good pub dinner and stumbled upon this one. Very accommodating to our party who arrived for dinner before the kitchen had opened. Antonio the chef has a great personality and is clearly passionate about his food. He even threw in a pizza making lesson for my 3 year old daughter!
If you want delicious food, great service and a friendly atmosphere, this is the pub for you!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Sarah_Steptoe
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I booked a Sunday lunch here to day for my elderly parents who had just returned from along trip to a funeral. Suffice to say they wished they were still there. The Sunday roast was truly awful. Burnt carrots, under-cooked cabbage, beef that looked as thought it may have been bought from a car boot sale (and overcooked). A truly bad experience. The next table asked for a refund and got it. My parents being old and not wanting to complain (and me not wanting to make a scene), paid up. This place looks like it's waiting to be sold off to make room for the building site next door with attention to match. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank MalcolmMcDonough
Reviewed 5 October 2012

The stowey is often the place we head for on a saturday night as the food and the company are excellant.
two weeks ago my wife fell over and hurt her leg
would just like to thank the young man who picked her up and gave her first aid.

i did not know his name but have since found out he is called Barry and would just like to thank him and the lady who works at the pub for being so kind. look forward to our meal on saturday

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Leonard D
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Pluses
The room was excellent, very clean and apart from the distinctly average shower, very good value. The card system worked well.
Minuses
Poor reception, had to wait in bar queue, young lad knew little.
No one to do breakfast, chef arrived at 8.40 (breakfast 8-9) - and we had to be in Glastonbury at 1030.
Will be asking for cost of motorway breakfast buns taken on the run to be refunded.

However it is possible that this was a blip, although there was a similar incident the day before recorded in the visitor book.

This is a lovely pub with rooms, and a potential goldmine. Just need to do a bit better.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Palaeolithic

Been to The Stowey Arms? Share your experiences!