“Bad experience”
Review of The Stowey Arms

The Stowey Arms
Ranked #2 of 2 Exminster B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was the first and last time I will be going to the Stowey Arms, had a fish and chip lunch (Friday 21st November) almost inedible and very expensive for a pub lunch only one other cusomer in the bar.The New Inn Alphington is much better quality at half the price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank TonyN22

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Dirty, smelly, frightful place. From the bent cutlery and dirty glasses to the bad beer and the inedible food.

With so many good places to go in Devon why stop here. To be avoided.

This could be improved by being refurbished. Gutting and starting again. Some slightly worn around the edges places have character, a quaintness about them. This is just bad.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank DevonTurnip
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Was staying there for a total of 8 nights in August. At first I only planned to stay for 3 nights, but then extended my stay for 2+3 nights. Felt immediately welcome by the very friendly staff and many locals that frequent the pub where they serve lots of tasty beers at reasonable prices. Can definitely recommend the Stowey Arms and will most certainly come back.
Just so you are aware: It's a Bed & Breakfast with 4 rooms on the first floor and a pub/restaurant on the ground floor. If you require graveyard-like silence you should probably reconsider.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

I would not recommend this place to anyone. The food is terrible and the roast potatoes were hard. Also they don't welcome you at all. They said homemade food but it weren't it was all makro food. You go to the till to pay for the food and the man who served us his breath was discussing. The price for Sunday dinner was a rip off because the food was all makro food and not homemade. A truly bad experience.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Staceybabee92
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The room I stayed in was comfortable, the bed was firm but comfortable and the room itself was bright, clean and I was glad to have a walk in shower. The system to get from the bar to my room was a nightmare as it was all done by a keypad at doors and having mobility problems going up and downstairs when the door entry system was so difficult to cope with meant that after my evening meal I stayed in the bedroom which was not terrible as it was comfortable and the TV was OK, as long as the signal remained constant. My problems started with a shower the next morning which took about 10 minutes to warm up. I had a lovely shower and felt enlivened only to be utterly disappointed when I came to use my bath towel ... it had a previous user's stains on it! My disappointment did not stop there as I went down to breakfast which had obviously been set out the night before with cling film over the sugar bowl which meant that when I looked inside the sugar bowl there were two ants entrapped in there running around like they were in a velodrome. Suffice to say I shall not be returning!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank KatefromChard
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Although local we have not been to the Stowey Arms for some time., but as it was not far away thought it nice to revisit. The past visits have always been good, but this time we were very disappointed. The meals appeared to be micro waved in most cases, and were probably bought in with a price which may appear to be profitable, but the final presentation proves different. Whilst the young lad was polite etc, he was inexperienced and it may be the chef was as well. Looking around we noticed others leaving some items as most had the same. Hopefully, next time we visit things will be back on track. A tip though, give the onion rings a miss they were left behind on most dishes.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank redlandrover
Reviewed 24 December 2012

The pub offers both English and italian food. The Chef, Antonio is brilliant and his food is far better than the Italian restaurants in Exeter itself. I can highly reccomend the pizza's which Antonio impressively spins on his hands. We even asked for a vegetarian pasta dish one day and although there was nothing on the menu Antonio created for us an amazing Sicillian pasta dish with aubergine, courgette and pesto. It was easily the best pasta dish we have ever eaten out. Under the new management I expect this restaurant to go from strength to strength.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exminster
Exeter Court Hotel
#10 of 31 in Exeter
Travelodge Exeter M5
Travelodge Exeter M5
#22 of 31 in Exeter

Been to The Stowey Arms? Share your experiences!