“Outstanding accommodation with friendly and professional staff”

Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kesgrave
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Outstanding accommodation with friendly and professional staff”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I have been traveling and working in Ipswich for over 3 years now but none of the local hotels seem to fit the bill for various reasons. A work colleague mentioned Milsons Kesgrave Hall and since then i have never looked back. Well presented clean and tidy rooms very quiet, excellent food at reasionable prices and the staff while very friendly also very professional making it a home from home.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Only consider staying here if you get a good deal including breakfast and dinner. We saw this on Mr & Mrs Smith and so our expectations were reasonably high having always been impressed by their recommendations in the past.

The room was freezing cold when we arrived and the heating didn't work. We called reception but after 30 mins of nobody turning up we got fed up and headed to the bar to warm up! Although the rooms are spacious and the beds are great, the rooms are not particularly clean - we had finger marks all over the bathroom mirror and had to call reception for clean wine glasses as the ones in our room were filthy and had clearly not been cleaned since the last few people who had stayed. The reception said they'd bring new ones immediately but these materialised after about 2 hours, by which time we'd got bored and already headed to the bar to get a drink there.

We also asked for some fresh milk (as advertised on the bedside table) and despite waiting for 30 mins for this, it never materialised. After eating in the restaurant that night, the lady on reception who we spoke to said she'd written down a note to bring us some milk but had 'got busy' and therefore not bothered (our room was 30 secs from reception/kitchen). She said she'd get some brought to us but by this point we didn't believe it so waited around to collect it ourselves.

Our newspaper also never arrived (by this point we expected nothing less!) and when we checked out it was sitting at reception, about which the lady made another excuse.

On the plus side, the staff in the restaurant and bar were excellent and the grounds and building are very nice. I had a hair in my dinner that night but the waiter was very apologetic and took it off the bill.

This place is ok for a cheap break but it is not a 'luxury/boutique' hotel as advertised - the little things like cleanliness and service DO matter and are what distinguish an OK hotel from a good or great one.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank sc137
Ipswich
Reviewed 4 January 2011

My husband arranged dinner for my family and I to celebrate my 50th! And then booked a night in one of their very nice bedrooms. Rolltop bath in the bedroom looked very inviting until we got in and felt the scum all around the bath and then found the toiletries bin still full from the previous guests! We decided to not let it spoil our stay and cleaned it out and re ran another bath. On checking out the next morning only an apology was offered. And we were asked if we had reported it at the time? We were hardly going to ask the cleaner to come and clean it out whilst we sat on the bed in our robes with our chanpagne in hand. My husband emailed the company and received an answerphone message saying they would like to speak to us direct. I rang the hotel and they had no record of this but said they would get someone to get back to me. They didn't. As it is a local hotel I visited the restaurant for a meal with some friends near the Christmas break and mentioned that we were still waiting for the call, once again they said they would get someone to get back to us. They haven't!! Very disappointing and despite the food being exceptional, am very reluctant to visit again on principal!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Willyk
London
Reviewed 20 November 2010

1:Location= I was on my way to Ipswich. The hotel is easy to find. It's well indicated getting close to it. 2:Building= Very nice house. The garden and the overall are well looked after. It's a little bot of a hidden gem. The interior design is great too. 3:Welcome= I had the welcome I was expecting from a hotel like this. I had gone for a b&b + dinner package (which is always a bit more expensive) and I wanted two separate invoices (one for dinner and one for the stay). I was promised this shouldn't be an issue. I was disappointed with the level of service when I checked out. The lady at reception (a different one) obviously didn't want to help me. She spent 10 minutes on the phone without even acknowledging me! When I asked for the two separate invoices, she said it wasn't possible...I had to negotiate and insist! I felt bad...Disappointing! 4:Room= Great rooms, very modern and trendy. lots of space 5:Bathroom= Very trendy too! 6:Dinner= Great food! 7: Summary= Is this hotel becoming victim of its success? Customer service is important, especially when your prices are in the 4 to 5 stars bracket. I am disppointed and I don't know if I will go back. Check my reviews. I have visited all the best hotels in this country. I am always very fair with my reviews.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank lefrancais
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2010

We went for our wedding anniversary, bit of a last minute booking but the reviews were good and it was close to where we needed to be. Firstly, the beds are amazing, Sumptuous! We both slept like babies...blissful. Rooms themselves were very nicely decorated and spacious (deluxe) but lacking something in terms of comfort and ambience, given the hotel status and room rates. The spacious bathroom had a comfortable 2 person bath and a big shower...although our shower pressure rather lack "umph". The restaurant on the other hand, is hard to fault. Even though they don't take bookings, if you are resident there you definitely get special treatment so long as you give them advance warning about what time you will turn up. We ate there both nights and had 2 wonderful meals. No complaints. I would definitely recommend it so long as you are not one of those couples (like us) who tend to be overly critical of your hotel room because it really was very comfortable for a few nights away.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline C
essex
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Like other hotels with the milsoms branding, close to perfection. People that know how to run a hotel, from check-in to check-out, with just the right level of attention from the staff.

We had a room away from the main hotel building and with just some minor details (where to plug in the hairdryer) it was superb. We used the bar a couple of times and the service there too was friendly and attentive. Breakfast first rate with local ingredients and plenty of it (no marmalade though).

One to note for the next time we're in that area.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Stuttgart
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Milsome Kesgrave Hall is a historic place and you cen see it everywhere in the house. The Manor House has been carefully and stylish changed into a great Hotel with beautiful rooms overlooking the park. A nice outside dingin area is there for summer and the bar and restaurant serve excellent food in beautiful ambience.
If you are around Ipswich, make sure you pay a visit to Kesgrave Hall.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kesgrave
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
The Brudenell Hotel
The Brudenell Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aldeburgh

Been to Milsoms Kesgrave Hall? Share your experiences!