“a very pleasant stay in a lovely area”

The Slaughters Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Slaughter
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Expensive but worth it for a few days away.do not expect the service and food etc that you might get in other similar priced establishments but still worthwhile.I gained the impression that they changed it from a hotel to an Inn which means they can cut down on the staff and other services,Inns do not require star ratings. For all that is worth a visit.The first time I visited it was called a hotel,now an Inn, the difference was noticeable.Male waiting staff were casually dressed wearing jeans.

1  Thank David C
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear David C, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
Best Regards

There are newer reviews for The Slaughters Country Inn

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was actually visiting on a business trip rather than a relaxing break but the totally relaxed atmosphere of both the village & the hotel made my stay a pleasure rather than a chore. My room was as you would expect from a comfortable country house with views over the stream & village. The bathroom was huge with a big corner bath & powerful seperate shower. Towels were of a generous size as were the the bottles of shampoo etc. All too often hotels skimp in this area.
A party of 6 of us ate in a private room off the restaurant in the evening from a menu that was not large but perfectly adequate. The food quality was excellent and unlike a recent reviewer the service was also very good. The hotel manager popped his head in for a quick chat and to make sure everything was Ok. Breakfast the next morning was beautifully presented with the 'full english' artistically arranged on the plate. Not large but this had the benefit of not leaving you feeling 'stuffed' at the beginning of the day.By contrast the bowl of porridge was enormous! After a comment that the coffee was a bit weak we were plied with copious amounts of hot strong coffee for the rest of the meal.
My overall impression was of a well run, relaxed hotel sensibly positioned pricewise compared to the local competition.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Allan W
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Allan W, I am delighted that you enjoyed your conference and stay with us. We do have two conference rooms at the Inn, both of which can take up to 24 delegates at a boardroom table. During the winter month’s we are offering a special mid week 24 hour rate of £139 per delegate!
I hope we see you again soon, either on business or pleasure

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Spent one night at the inn in September. The location is stunning in one of the most beautiful and quiet Cotswold towns we stayed in. We had dinner in the dining room which was seriously understaffed - 30 minutes to get pre-dinner drinks, unable to find ANY staff to get the bill when ready to leave. The rooms were tired - broken lamp teetering on a base, worn upholstery and sagging couch/chair cushions. The one positive was the bedding which was fresh and crisp and a great duvet. Overall for the price charged this inn is not worth it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank retinott
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear retinott, thank you for taking the time to review your one night stay at The Slaughters Country Inn, I was pleased to read that you were happy with our stunning location and the quality of our bed linen, but saddened to read that you had some issues in your room, and that you felt we were under staffed.
We are currently undertaking a refreshing of our room stock to ensure all of our rooms are of the same high standard.
We never deliberately run the Inn short on staff, but due to the unpredictable, nature of our business we can sometimes get caught a little short, and I apologize if this impacted on your dinner experience.
As for your comment on the poor value for money, I think that given our idyllic Cotswold location and the quality of the Inn, you would struggle to find better value for your money in the area.
Best Regards

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed one night of our holiday in this charming hotel. I liked the potted history of the place in the little book of info in our room. The Reception staff were helpful and all the staff we spoke to were very pleasant...I thought the Restaurant too garish and bright, with not a candle on the tables :0(( However, Our evening meal in the Restaurant was good, not small portions as others have mentioned and the guy serving went to pains to see that we were looked after very well (I had a problem with my meal and did not complain but the waiter sorted it and made me feel at ease). We stayed in the Cotton Hall double room which boasted a rather nice stand alone bath tub on a raised platform, with a picturesque view. There was also a good shower in the little bathroom. Our bed was huge, but cosy with wonderful feather duvet and pillows to sink into...Breakfast was fine and filling, usual things on offer - the Tea tasted extra special - think is was Twinnings English Breakfast, but maybe the Cotswold water was the magical ingredient!
There is a wonderful old Mill literally on the doorstep and we visited Bourton on the water, Stow on the wold, Cheltenham and Cirencester. I have to mention the public conveniences in Bourton O T W they were superb (yes it matters)!
A very pleasant, rested stay at the Slaughters Country Inn, thank you.

Room Tip: Cotton Hall if you are able to get in and out of the bath independently... :0)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear Firework-bang, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. As the nights are starting to draw in candles will soon be back on the tables in the restaurant.
Best wishes

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel for one night in September. The setting is very picturesque, situated next to a small river. The hotel itself is extremely impressive with ample parking. We arrived slightly before check-in, but that was no problem. The reception staff were excellent and quickly showed us our room. The room itself was awesome. A bed I wanted to keep, plus additional furniture to relax in the room. The bathroom was also first class, with a great bath. We stayed at the hotel for the rest of the evening, and ate in the bar. The food was excellent, if the portions were a tad small. Service was a very high standard, friendly and efficient. Food and drink at the hotel isn’t cheap, but it’s a fairly high-end hotel in the Cotswolds. I would suggest bar prices are close to central London. But as there is nowhere else really to walk to, then choices are somewhat restricted unless someone’s a dedicated driver then Stow and Moreton are fairly close. Overall, it a fantastic place to stay and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: try to use the specials via the usual websites to get one of the superior rooms: Angelos, Holland, W...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear travellerUK58, thank you for your kind review.
I hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We have had an amazing weekend the room was all you would expect, the staff are amazing efficient and friendly nothing too much trouble, the food was good excellent wine available.
Log fire brilliant ! would definitely come again.

2  Thank J H

Dear J H, I am so pleased you had a nice weekend with us. Now the weather has started to turn colder we have started to light our two lovely open fires in the bar.
I look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I've stayed here with my boyfriend and we had the Angelo's room.
Great location (lower slaughter is lovely and a perfect starting point to visit the nearby area).
Staff is very friendly and helpful.
Room was very spacious, clean and quiet.
Unfortunately we could not eat there (except breakfast, which was delicious) cause they had a problem with the kitchen fans but they arranged a taxi service for us to a nearby restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Stefania L, thank you for your kind review.
I am pleased to report that all is now well and we are able to now offer our full menu.
I hope we will see you again soon
Best Wishes

#1 of 6 in Broadway
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Slaughters Country Inn? Share your experiences!