“Will be going back for sure!”

The Slaughters Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Slaughter
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here for three nights the weekend before last which was the beginning of the school Easter holiday break..... What a fabulous hotel and area! Our room was very comfortable, Queen size bed, small sitting room and fabulous bathroom... clean towels each day, plenty of hot water. Didn't have much of a view (our room was called Common Lane), but to be honest, it didn't matter... we were out enjoying the beautiful countryside and sunshine and came back for a small rest before going out to dine. We ate twice at the hotel, both meals were superb, and the staff were very helpful and apologetic when the potatoes were missing from my dish. That, if I could call it a complaint, would be the only thing. They are happy to let you have another serving of say bacon if you don't like baked beans, at breakfast, which was also superb. The bar area is quaint, and the ceiling gets lower and lower the further down the rooms you go; but it's character! Those over 6' would need to stoop but who cares! You are sitting down to eat!

The surrounding countryside is just breathtaking; we noticed how few cars and people there were about, and how the locals kept their properties and gardens looking spectacular. There are some fabulous walks to do with pub stops en route too... what else could one ask for? A short walk into Bourton on Water where we spent a pleasant afternoon.

All in all a fabulous stay and would definitely go back. If only people could focus on the good points instead of picking on minor things... I have stayed in some really good and bad hotels, but this one definitely gets the thumbs up and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We were in the courtyard area... quiet and private.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KarenF66
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear KarenF66, thank you for your fabulous review, I will look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Slaughters Country Inn

Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night over the weekend for our wedding anniversary. What a beautiful location! The weather was perfect which made it all the better. We stayed in the Godolphin room (there is a history to the hotel and every room name). Our room did not have much of a view but the room itself was fabulous with a huge Queen size bed and fabulous 4 piece bathroom with roll top bath and large shower cubicle. Could not fault the room at all except for the view. We ate in the bar of the hotel as the restaurant was closed for refurbishment but the food was excellent and service was good. However, it was only at breakfast where we found fault with the service. We were served by a young lady who looked as if she had just got out of bed. Her hair was a dreadful mess and she really was not with it at all. She did not direct us as to the breakfast buffet and barely offered us tea or coffee. This was our only disappointment though and did not spoil our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Telsy57, thank you for choosing us to help celebrate your anniversary, I apologize for the member of our breakfast team and corrective training has been given.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Located near to the A429 this stunning original 17th century coltswold stone Inn is set in a beautiful country location in the village of Lower Slaughter. My family and I on a short break to the Cotswolds recently visited the Inn for lunch. We very much enjoyed our visit, the bar with its low beams and open log fireplaces and the riverside external terrace seating overlooking the River Eye was extremely relaxing. An enjoyable lunchtime was had by all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank charles s

Dear charles s, I am pleased you enjoyed your lunch with us, I can’t think of many places better to enjoy a leisurely lunch outside next to our river,
Hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in March with family. It's in a very pretty, quiet Cotswold village which is near the larger towns of Burford, Stow-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water for shopping and eating.
I think my main quibble is that we had such an unfriendly 'welcome' I was put off for the rest of the stay. We were met by a completely unsmiling and unproactive woman on reception. She gave us the minimum information she could and almost sullenly showed us to our rooms. I was with 2 people in their late 70s and she half offered to carry their cases and despite my hints that that would be helpful she then watched us struggle with them up the stairs. I was not impressed. We also passed a workman who was hammering loudly near one of the rooms which she didn't comment on. We all know that necessary work has to be carried out but it would have been great to have a simple apology for the noise and be told what time it would finish.
I didn't eat in the hotel but twice went to get a drink from the bar and both times staff saw me but took ages to finish their conversations before coming over to serve me. It just all felt a bit slack.
I've stayed in 2 other Brownsword Hotels; at Gidleigh Park the service was wonderful, at Amberley Castle it was truly abysmal so I guess there's no consistency.
That said, the rooms were great - large with big, clean bathrooms and very comfy beds.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a nice view, most will have but mine overlooked the 'backstage' dumping are...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KLondonK

Dear KLondonK, I am sorry you were not greeted in our normal happy way, this is normally one of the strong points of the Inn. I am pleased that over all this did not spoil your stay to much.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Just returned from this, we'll it must be said: a truly amazing find of a hotel situated in the heart of the Cotswolds, Our Sunday night stay went without a hitch, after driving into what can only be described as perfect picturesque stone building with it's very quaint surroundings by the river. we were greeted by the helpful receptionist who showed us to our room, the bed was huge, and the surroundings just as impressive which had a free standing bath at the heart of the room which created the WOW, factor. Now down to the bar for drinks! Now I am not great beer drinker, but the Breakspear bitter was very palatable, and due to the fact we were booked in for dinner we could have had the Sunday roast but chose to have the afternoon tea comprising of sandwiches and multiple choices with scones and clotted cream should you wish to indulge ourselves.Having changed for dinner @7.30 we were shown our table and chose our starters which came very quickly then mains which again flowed and the service very attentive. Off then to the lounge area with drinks and relaxing space, yet another bottle of wine and it's time for sleeps, it seemed rude not to utilise the free standing bath; Absolute heaven clean crisp sheets on the bed rounded off the evening. Breakfast in the morning was adequate although not tip-top perhaps may need to focus more on the " English Breakfast" which I feel was not up to the standard they are trying to set. All in all, would certainly re- visit and look forward to coming back with the dog for long walks. We'll done to all concerned in making our stay very pleasurable.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peterj D
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Peterj D, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 4 April 2014

A one night stay at The Slaughters Country Inn on business. The Hotel is in the idyllic Cotswold village of Lower Slaughter,The village ticks all of the boxes if you are coming to this part of the world for the Cotswold experience with a babbling brook,rich golden stone buildings and a water mill, open countryside with lambs and a sea of daffodils.
The hotel is classic but at the same time modern and the staff are all friendly and professional.
When I stayed the restaurant was been refitted and all meals are been served in the bar,This made no difference to the service. The menu was good with a good choice of wines.The rooms are of high standard and meet the needs of the business traveler and the person staying for leisure.
The room rate was only £75.00 B&B and I would stay again.
The only bad point was the noise of the bins been collected at 07.30 this was not the end of the world for me as I was up and on my way to breakfast. But if I was on the full room rate and staying for leisure I would have been less happy.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the back over looking the fields.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Saracen B, I am glad that you enjoyed your business stay with us. The restaurant refurbishment is now half way through and starting to take shape nicely, will be great to have it open for Easter, you will have to come back and see how it looks

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Just spent a couple of days at this idyllic Inn and I really can't speak more highly about the venue and it's surroundings. But what sets it apart from other locations is the friendliness of the staff. Special mention to Ben and the girls on the check in desk. They were so friendly and attentive that it made us feel very welcome and at home. They are a credit to the management. Well done.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Sean 1111, Thank you for your glowing review of your stay with us. I will make sure Ben see’s your review and is suitably rewarded for great customer service

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lower Slaughter
#1 of 6 in Broadway
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Slaughters Country Inn? Share your experiences!