“Lovely location but surprisingly disappointing stay.”

The Slaughters Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Slaughter
Wales
“Lovely location but surprisingly disappointing stay.”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here with my Mum in February as a treat having purchased afternoon tea for two online as a Christmas present for my Mum who adores the Cotswolds. When we arrived on the Sunday the whole of the downstairs bar area was completely flooded due to drainage problems - not the hotels fault at all but we had not been informed of this prior to arriving at the hotel after a long drive and we had very much been looking forward to spending the Sunday evening by the log fire in the bar relaxing together over a glass of wine. Had we known the downstairs area was flooded we would have chosen to rearrange our stay for an alternative date.

We arrived mid afternoon and were told that our room was not ready which I was surprised at given that the hotel did not appear very busy. As we were not able to access our room or the bar area we had to wait around quite a while with no suggestions of where to go to get tea/coffee etc from the girl on reception. When we did check in our twin room was lovely, really clean and stylish with a lovely view of the village.

Afternoon tea itself was beautiful, we really enjoyed this - really nice selection of homemade cakes and plenty of tea. In the evening we had to have our meal in the hotel restaurant as the bar remained flooded. The restaurant interior itself was very dated, with stained carpets and chipped tables although I understand that it has since been updated. The staff were pleasant but the service was very impersonal and the restaurant felt quite stuffy rather than the relaxed atmosphere we had been anticipating for our stay.

The next day we were woken by the horrendously strong smell of paint stripper as they were refurbishing the main staircase and hallway outside our bedroom - we were given no warning regarding this. The breakfast we had was lovely, well cooked and a good range of options available. When we checked out we were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay at all or if we would return, and no apology was given for the inconvenience of not being able to utilise the full facilities of the hotel due to the flooding; whilst we accept that this could not be helped there was very little effort made to ensure our stay was a pleasurable one. It just felt as if the staff didn't really care whether you were comfortable or not.

I rarely write negative reviews but I had been expecting so much from this place and when you pay quite a lot of money for a one night you expect excellent quality and service. This is a beautiful part of the world and I think this place could be brilliant with a little bit more TLC and staff training on customer service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HellasWales
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear HellasWales, your review does bring up some bad memories from 3 month ago, when us, as much of the south west we endured some very heavy rain which put the whole area under water. Unfortunately it was on the Sunday of your arrival that our defences were breached, we did attempt to contact all of our guests, but unfortunately some were already on route, as you must have been.
I am pleased that you were happy with your room and enjoyed your afternoon tea.
You are indeed correct about our restaurant, it has been fully refurbished, with all of the chipped tables replaced and thee mirrors are all gone! It now look just a stylish our bedrooms and much more in keeping with the rest of the Inn.
I am sorry you did not get to enjoy an afternoon tea by our open fires, but maybe you could come back and enjoy a afternoon tea in our splendid garden this summer?
Stuart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
melbourne
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I rarely write bad reviews, but this place offers appalling service considering the prices paid.
We booked two rooms. One a bit more expensive than the other. The toilet broke within minutes and could not be used all night. No apology and the occupants had to walk to another wing of the building to use the toilet in the other room. When discussing a late checkout the next morning I mentioned the broken toilet. The girl said "oh yeh, i saw a report about that". We were given the option of a later checkout but we did not use it. No other compensation offered. It will be interesting to see if the hotel offers any compensation now that this review is published. Not having a toilet is a fairly big deficiency. Scroll down to see if the hotel bothers to reply.
BREAKFAST
What a joke! We went to breakfast 30 mins before it ended. Only a few dry, burnt-looking, inedible pastries left despite the menu saying three types would be provided. No bowls left.
Table not set. They make the toast for you - you can't do it yourself. Six half pieces of toast provided for a family of 5 - haha - are they serious. More came when we complained.
No sugar on the table. No jam. No butter. Had to ask for more butter when the extra toast came.
Requested baked beans and mushrooms on toast instead of the full breakfast. Was given TWO mushrooms and a tiny 5cm wide mini-bowl of beans on the plate. No extra toast. Complained again and more beans came, but NO MORE MUSHROOMS. And there was more. It was just simply unprofessional, sloppy and made me wish we had not stayed.
This is a 2-star place in a wonderful location. The owners also own a more expensive place across the road, but if they do not provide service here you cannot expect them to provide service elsewhere. It reflects on their business style. If it offers a deal without breakfast - take it. If you think you might need a toilet during your stay - bring a potty.
If you are used to 4 or 5 star hotels give this place a miss. If you are used to 1-2 star service give it a try but pay triple for the experience.
Overall - stay at one of the many local pubs rather than here because it will spoil an otherwise perfect location.
Beds were VERY comfortable. Heated towel rails. Furniture was an odd, poorly maintained collection. Not antique or new - just tired and shabby

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank cbz_9
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
I am of course very disappointed to read your review, and as you will see below i respond to all feedback on here, good or bad as most of it is very constructive is helping move our business forward, but i feel you have been a little harsh with your review, and do not take kindly to guests thinking the threat of a bad review will get them money off
When something such as a toilet breaks at night there is not much more we can do than offer to move rooms or use the facility of another room, i do apologise again that this happened.
With regards to your breakfast experience, i am pleased that we were able to get you, extra toast, butter, jams, baked beans and i am sure we would of only been to happy to get you an extra field mushroom if this too had been requested.
If you would like yo talk about your stay further and have some constructive comments i would be happy to receive a call at the Inn
Regards

Sent from my iPad
Wales
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night during the Easter holidays and were met with a very warm welcome by reception staff who told us we had been upgraded to a cottage. She offered assistance with our luggage and escorted us to the cottage making sure we had everything we needed. The cottage was delightful, well furnished and had a well appointed bathroom, two sitting rooms and a bedroom with a huge bed. The grounds were very pretty with a stream running through it,well tended lawn and there was a beautiful outdoor seating area for drinks or afternoon tea which we made good use of. Indoor bar area was modern but cosy with a massive fireplace and comfy sofa at one end. The whole setting of the hotel and the village itself was picture postcard pretty. We had booked a table in the hotel restaurant which was newly refurbished to an excellent standard. After being shown to our table We were given a complimentary glass of bubbly ..a good start. The service was very attentive and friendly but we found the food to be overpriced for what it was. I orderd Cotswold chicken breast with baby gem, sproutings and potato confit in a tarragon sauce, delicious to be fair BUT a disappointing portion. 3 baby gem leaves, 1 'sprouting' and five teeny potato thingies no bigger than my thumb nail. I am a petite 5ft 2 and this didn't touch the sides. A serving of carrots or indeed any other veg or potato was available at an extra cost of £3.50 which on top of £18 for chicken is rather steep in my book. My husband ordered an 8oz rump (questionable) served with fries, quite literally this was all it came with, not even a grilled tomato. My sticky toffee pudding dessert was equally disappointing, not sticky at all, no dates or raisins in it, more like a miniature tasteless steamed pudding. Normally I may have commented to staff but felt a bit uncomfortable doing so as we had received a room upgrade and the staff were so nice. All in all although I felt the restaurant was poor value I would definitely recommend this hotel and the area and would return again in the future but maybe eat elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
BOB31, General Manager at The Slaughters Country Inn, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear WalesMrsDavis, I am pleased you enjoyed your room and our picture postcard location, but I was disappointed with regards to you comments about your dinner with us, I think you will find that our menu is very competitively priced in our location and that our flat iron steak is 8oz, and is served stripped back with house fries and watercress garnish to allow for a great price point of under £16.
I am also delighted to announce that we had our first AA inspection just after Easter and the restaurant has been awarded 2 rosette’s
I do hope we will see you again, and that you will have a better dinner experience.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We were very impressed during our stay here with the quality and comfort of the bedroom plus the room had an amazing bath, however the service in the restaurant was ok but not great. Good value food for what it was. We would recommend to others.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear past guest, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, and found the food to be good value for money
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were given a 2 night stay for our honeymoon, staying in the Caccia cottage. All I can say is wow, totally amazing. Everything was perfect, friendly staff and a real quality establishment. We had breakfast each morning which was all fresh local produce. A real treat!

1 Thank Mike S
Dear Mike S, I am glad you enjoyed your honeymoon treat. I hope we see you again soon.
Baldock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed here for three nights the weekend before last which was the beginning of the school Easter holiday break..... What a fabulous hotel and area! Our room was very comfortable, Queen size bed, small sitting room and fabulous bathroom... clean towels each day, plenty of hot water. Didn't have much of a view (our room was called Common Lane), but to be honest, it didn't matter... we were out enjoying the beautiful countryside and sunshine and came back for a small rest before going out to dine. We ate twice at the hotel, both meals were superb, and the staff were very helpful and apologetic when the potatoes were missing from my dish. That, if I could call it a complaint, would be the only thing. They are happy to let you have another serving of say bacon if you don't like baked beans, at breakfast, which was also superb. The bar area is quaint, and the ceiling gets lower and lower the further down the rooms you go; but it's character! Those over 6' would need to stoop but who cares! You are sitting down to eat!

The surrounding countryside is just breathtaking; we noticed how few cars and people there were about, and how the locals kept their properties and gardens looking spectacular. There are some fabulous walks to do with pub stops en route too... what else could one ask for? A short walk into Bourton on Water where we spent a pleasant afternoon.

All in all a fabulous stay and would definitely go back. If only people could focus on the good points instead of picking on minor things... I have stayed in some really good and bad hotels, but this one definitely gets the thumbs up and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We were in the courtyard area... quiet and private.
1 Thank KarenF66
Dear KarenF66, thank you for your fabulous review, I will look forward to welcoming you back soon.
South Molton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night over the weekend for our wedding anniversary. What a beautiful location! The weather was perfect which made it all the better. We stayed in the Godolphin room (there is a history to the hotel and every room name). Our room did not have much of a view but the room itself was fabulous with a huge Queen size bed and fabulous 4 piece bathroom with roll top bath and large shower cubicle. Could not fault the room at all except for the view. We ate in the bar of the hotel as the restaurant was closed for refurbishment but the food was excellent and service was good. However, it was only at breakfast where we found fault with the service. We were served by a young lady who looked as if she had just got out of bed. Her hair was a dreadful mess and she really was not with it at all. She did not direct us as to the breakfast buffet and barely offered us tea or coffee. This was our only disappointment though and did not spoil our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Telsy57, thank you for choosing us to help celebrate your anniversary, I apologize for the member of our breakfast team and corrective training has been given.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lower Slaughter
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,259 reviews
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,046 reviews

Been to The Slaughters Country Inn? Share your experiences!