“Charming Cotswolds” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Slaughters Manor House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Slaughter
“Charming Cotswolds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Enjoyed a very relaxing stay at this Cotswold gem. Food was delicious and the staff are both knowledgeable and friendly. We stayed in a Classic room at the front of the Hotel over looking the croquet lawn. The General Manager Abbi is a real star and saved the day on Sunday evening, ensuring we were fed and watered after walking out of the Slaughters Inn across the road. See separate review!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Dear SteakandSalad,

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us, and we are so pleased you were able to have a relaxing weekend here! Jamie, our chef was also thrilled that you thought so highly of the food!

It was disappointing that our recommendation of an evening at our sister property, The Slaughters Country Inn didn't go to plan, and on behalf of our colleagues, please accept our sincere apologies.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!

Abbi & the LSM team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

This is the archetypal English country house hotel and it's a very good one.

It's a lovely old building (Grade 1 listed I believe) set in nice gardens. To the front is a croquet lawn with mature trees and behind another lawn area with flower borders and a small vegetable garden. There is also a tennis court. There are a number of tables with umbrellas where you can sit for a drink or a meal or just to enjoy the view. I think a bit more could be made of the grounds with more flower beds and by extending the vegetable garden.

The interior of the building is full of nice furniture, comfortable sofas and chairs, interesting paintings and tables. There are lots of public rooms of various sizes so you can always find somewhere to tuck yourself away. (They do weddings.) I was there in high summer but I'd like to go back in winter and can imagine sitting by an open fire and looking out on a snowy landscape.

My room was excellent, historic structure and modern fittings. A lovely bathroom with a beautiful free-standing bath and a walk-in shower. The bed was very comfortable and there was a good flat screen TV and DVD player.

The restaurant is excellent. For lunch you can have a full meal or a light lunch which you can take in one of many rooms. For dinner there is table d'hote menu and a tasting menu (and vegetarian menus). Everything was very well cooked, well seasoned and beautifully presented. I particularly liked a Crab Tortellini with a Lemongrass sauce. I had dinner on 3 nights so tried a lot of dishes and the standard was high throughout. I had a chat with a fellow guest about whether this was Michelin star quality food (he thought it was). My opinion is that it is close but the chef needs to let his hair down a bit more as the only thing the food lacks is a little excitement. The wine list is pretty good, something for everybody and every pocket (this is not a cheap hotel so my comment should be seen in that context). Breakfasts are great (some lovely bacon and marmalade) and I do like a hotel that can offer a wide range of teas and not just English Breakfast.

The staff were very friendly and generally very efficient, nothing was too much trouble. Now, if I may nit-pick, to achieve Michelin status the restaurant staff need to be perfect and whilst they are very good, I neither saw nor experienced any serious errors, they could be a little sharper. Understand that I am being hyper-critical here!

All in all I had a fantastic break at this hotel. I enjoyed everything about it and it gave me what I wanted, a perfect country hideaway where I could read and relax in peace and where I could enjoy great food and wine.

Very highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Covenant
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Covenant,

Thank you very much for your kind and comprehensive review! We are so pleased you had an enjoyable time with us, and it was our pleasure to have you stay with us for your little break.

We have taken all your constructive feedback on board and discussed with our teams, and we hope that next time you visit, you will enjoy yourself as much as this time!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We visited the hotel to take afternoon tea. Initial impressions were good, the grounds are nicely presented, there is adequate parking and the hotel looks well maintained. The interior was equally smart and immaculately clean. The staff were polite and friendly throughout our visit and afternoon tea itself was very good. Sandwiches, cakes, tarts and scones were very tasty and well presented, there was a good selection of teas and coffee available. Overall, a great experience and we will certainly consider staying here in the near future.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Gourmet_Porker,

Thank you for your review of your afternoon tea experience. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us and that you are considering returning so soon!

You might like to keep an eye on our website or social media pages as we often have special offers that you might like to take advantage of!

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future,

Kind regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We wanted to enjoy high tea while on vacation in the Cotswolds. We stumbled on to this manor when we found the manor in Upper Slaughter was closed for visitors for the day. Luckily someone mentioned there was another manor for tea, and we literally found this manor by chance. Unlike some of the other remarks below, we had an absolutely lovely time. We were quite obviously American tourists and not dressed for anything as nice as these surroundings. We had prompt, courteous service in a large room with fireplaces, chess board, and many windows to enjoy the beautiful yard. The food was delicious and all the staff were quite helpful and accommodating and did not ignore us because of our casual attire. After our return to the States, I emailed the manor to ask about how to find Granny's Garden tea which the wait staff had recommended we try, and the email reply was immediate and very helpful. I would definitely recommend this manor for tea and a pleasant relaxing afternoon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Dear Michelle F,

Thank you for your kind review of your recent visit to Lower Slaughter Manor and I am delighted you spent an enjoyable afternoon with us. The Granny's Garden tea is quite popular, and it's got such a lovely name!

Maybe on your next visit to the UK you might consider treating yourself to an overnight stay!

Isle of Palms, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed at Lower Slaughter Manor as our base for our Cotswalds holiday. It is nicely secluded in very pleasant surroundings. Our room was on the top floor, though, and there is no lift; but the valets were very helpful in getting our luggage up the stairs. The reception staff were very responsive. We did have a few issues with the room - e.g. trying to get the shower to work - that was frustrating, but the staff explained that there is a long list of maintenance items they are working on. The restaurant is very nice and spacious, and the breakfast excellent. We were disappointed to find out that the Chet's style was very haute cuisine - creative designs in small portions. The quality was very good, but we had been hoping for more of an English style menu befitting an English country manor. There are plenty of excellent English restaurants in the surrounding area, though, and we took advantage of those. Overall, on our next trip to the Cotswalds I think we will book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Avoid a top floor room assignment
1 Thank Oak_Arbour
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Oak_Arbour

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us and I am pleased you found the staff to be helpful and responsive.

I was saddened to read that your stay was marred by some maintenance issues in the room, and as mentioned, the plumbing on the 2nd floor occasionally needs some coaxing, which I hope our housekeeper demonstrated for you. I also hope the half bottle of champagne we put in your room went a little way towards making up for any inconvenience?

With regards to the portion sizes, I have passed your feedback onto Jamie and his team. The menus are designed to leave our guests satiated without feeling too full and negative comments over the quantity of food are very rare. We will review the menus and portions moving forward however, as we would hate for our guests to feel unsatisfied. I’m glad you managed to enjoy some of the great eateries in the local area – we are spoilt for choice in our corner of the Cotswolds!

We hope you enjoy the rest of your trip to the UK, and perhaps on your next visit you might like to try our sister property Buckland Manor, near beautiful Broadway, or Lords of the Manor in Upper Slaughter?

Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed at Lower Slaughter Manor for three days. Upon arrival, we were lead to a very modern black & white bedroom, not at all what we were expecting in a country manor house. The wall paper was ripped in a few places and the ceiling paint in the bathroom was pealing. It took forever for the hot water to come on in the shower as well. Also the portions at dinner were very, very small. We only ate one night in the hotel, we were not impressed with the food at all. We are shocked this is a Relais & Chateaux Hotel. We will not be returning. There is an Upper Slaughter Manor will try next time,,right down the road. Seriously this place is very disappointing.

Room Tip: Don't bother! Try The Upper Slaughter Manor instead!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Helen B
Dear Helen B,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us and first and foremost please accept my sincere apologies that we did not live up to expectations.

It was disappointing that your stay was marred by some maintenance issues in the room and our housekeeping & maintenance teams have asked me to convey their apologies. Whilst the tears in the wallpaper are relatively recent, the wallpaper itself is something that was put up under the previous ownership and we are currently trying to source a similar match. The bathroom ceiling is unacceptable however and will be addressed as soon as possible. As mentioned yesterday morning, the plumbing on the 2nd floor occasionally needs some coaxing, which I hope our housekeeper demonstrated for you. I also hope the half bottle of champagne we put in your room went a little way towards making up for any inconvenience?

Maintenance issues aside, it is a shame you didn’t tell us on arrival that the room was not to your taste, as with 19 rooms, all of different styles, I am sure we could have found something you preferred.

Jamie, our chef and I were also saddened that you felt the portion sizes were small as we have receive excellent feedback about both the quantity & quality of the food and the menus are designed to leave our guests feeling satisfied. Jamie will take your comments onboard however and will review the menus to ensure they are value for money.

We hope you enjoy the remainder of your trip, and I’m sure you will enjoy your stay at Lords of the Manor in future – it’s a delightful hotel!

notts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed for one night on 15 July 2013 at Lower Slaughter Manor. It was a treat after visiting our family in Somerset on our return journey home to Notts. We had booked through Secret Escapes. The first sight of the hotel is fabulous, set in the centre of the front lawn. We felt so at home and relaxed in the Manor, it has a lovely ambiance. Our room was Faye in the main house. Again we felt very comfortable and slept very well even though it was during a heatwave. The room had thoughtful welcoming sherry, water, fruit and L'Occitane toiletries.

Although the room did not have a tea/coffee making tray, it does state in hotel information that this can be made available by contacting reception. I rang reception and a very pleasant member of staff quickly delivered a tea tray.

We had not booked dinner in the restaurant, but I assumed as guests a table would be available to us. On checking in at reception, we were asked if we wished to dine at the hotel and that a table was available at 8.30pm. Due to health problems, I explained that this was too late and the receptionist correctly stated she would ask her colleague if an earlier time was possible. The receptionist rang our room and stated a table at 7.00pm had been reserved for us. We really appreciated this. As part of customer service, the hotel might consider emailing guests prior to their stay about booking in for dinner. This is something another hotel in Upper Slaughter do for their Michelin star restaurant.

We thoroughly enjoyed our pre-dinner drinks and canapés in one of the lounges which overlook the front garden. All the staff members greeted us with a smile. The restaurant is tastefully furnished and the waiting staff very helpful. We ordered from the a la carte menu, which we would recommend. The food was divine, so full of flavour and cooked perfectly.

The breakfast buffet is nicely arranged, with a good selection of cereals, fresh bakery, ham, cheese and fruit. Cooked breakfast orders are taken individually. Our breakfasts were cooked perfectly.

The manor gardens are pleasant, but are being restored after neglect from the previous owner. As a keen gardener I am interested in how the gardens evolve and imagine they could be stunning. We wish them well with this project.

Unfortunately we had to leave after our one night stay, but I could have happily stayed longer. We hope another hotel offer will soon appear so we can rebook. Staying in a superior room in the main house was just perfect for us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear NottsBelle,

Thank you for your lovely review of your stay at Lower Slaughter Manor recently! The team and I were delighted to read how much you enjoyed yourselves and I'm delighted we were able to accommodate your request for a different table reservation.

We do try whenever possible to contact all guests directly when they have booked through a 3rd party site, although sometimes we struggle to get contact details, although our reservations team will make an even more concerted effort moving forward!

For a future stay perhaps you might contact us directly as our rates are the same as through a 3rd party, and we can ensure we have your dinner reservation at the perfect time from the outset!

We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future!

Kind regards

The Manor House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,002 reviews
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Slaughters Manor House? Share your experiences!