My wife and I pack up the dogs for a week and stay in a cottage near Stow every year. We all like Lower Slaughter but have never been to the Manor, so I popped in and made a reservation for dinner the next day.
When we arrived we were taken down to a fairly empty restaurant that remained quiet but not "dead" all evening. The staff were extremely friendly and made us feel special. We had a drink first and looked the menu over. The ordering was fun and the waiter explained, when we asked, how some of the dishes were prepared and cooked. The wine waiter was also helpful and knowledgeable and in a very nice way challenged my choice of white wine to go with the starters, he said it may be too sweet and suggested an alternate, we went with that and he was quite right, it was a better option! We did not choose the taster menu as I have a seafood allergy but the choices on the table d'hote menu are pretty wide and should please all diners.
The breads that were brought out were great and between each course was a "pre" taster, all very good.
The meal was fantastic, certainly borderline Michelin standard in my view. Starters were delicious. For mains we had Wild Sea Bass for my wife and I tried Cotswold Beef Fillet that was out of this world. The deserts are also unbelievably good. The variety of red wines is particularly good and the Barollo we chose was just perfect and not wincingly expensive either.
Coffees, liqueurs and chocolates we decided to take in the lounge, they were dutifully brought up to us to enjoy in lovely surroundings and without being followed around to make sure we didn't leave without paying, a little thing I know but a rare courtesy we felt.
This was a great and special experience, more expensive that many dinners out but when considering the location, quality of food, fine wine and particularly the marvelous staff well worth every penny.
Thank you all so much, we shall return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lower Slaughter Manor is a stunning 16th Century Manor House, a luxurious 19 bedroom hotel located in the heart of the picture postcard village of Lower Slaughter in the Cotswolds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HRS, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Slaughters Manor House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lower Slaughter Manor Hotel Lower Slaughter
- Hotel Lower Slaughter
- Manor Hotel Lower Slaughter
- Lower Manor Slaughter