“Peaceful, pastoral setting, with some problems”

The Slaughters Manor House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lower Slaughter
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Driving up to the hotel is like entering a film set - this hotel is very beautiful and stately. Our room (Maela) was spacious and smartly designed with an modern Asian flair. It had nice touches, such as the decanter of sherry on a tray, which was complimentary; there was also a dock for ipads on the wall, which was very handy. On the whole, the room and bath were clean, efficient and best of all, pleasing to the eye.
Sadly, the service we received wasn't quite as efficient as we'd have liked. Our waiter was more interested in chatting with the couple at the next table, about croquet rules, than he was about seeing to our order. He apologised to us with a smile, but then went back to the table to finish off his discussion before going inside to to place our order.
The same thing happened at the dinner table: our food would arrive with a great degree of solemnity, and we'd have to ask for our wine to be poured. It could take a few minutes for this to be done, which meant our food got cold during the wait.
As for the food itself, it was delicious, but I didn't like that I had to either choose from a 3 course a la carte menu (no ordering just a salad or just a main - you have to order all 3, at a set price), or a 7 course tasting menu.
We lurched from the table after dinner, feeling far too full and slightly perplexed as to why the hotel wanted to stuff us like a Christmas goose.
In short, I did enjoy our stay, but with (dare I say) reservations about the slowness of service and lack of menu flexibility.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family, including 2 children went to the hotel for cold drinks on a hot afternoon. We were told to sit in the salon where a member of the bar staff would come for our orders. 15 minutes later, having seen no member of staff we left. A local pub gave us excellent service! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dpp44
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear dpp,

Thank you for taking the time to review Lower Slaughter Manor on TripAdvisor.

I do remember your family coming to the Manor, the tables outside where full in the heat of the sun all afternoon on this particular day, and if I recall you wanted to sit on the grass and have a drink to which I responded due to Health and Safety I would be unable to serve drinks unless seated at a table, this I’m sure others will agree would be correct answer given children playing on the lawn outside.

My porter David tried to assist you with some chairs outside, inconveniencing other guests to borrow chairs from their tables, in the end you decided to seat in the corner of the salon and a hat was left behind and a young blonde girl came back to the hotel to collect.

I can see why it took 15 minutes for you to get a drinks order taken when sometime was spent rearranging furniture outside, only for you to decide to take a seat inside, so my apologies if my team didn't respond quick enough to take a drinks order within the 15 minutes you mention in your review. I’m disappointed that you say you never saw a member of staff as I’m sure you spoke with me personally.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Booked for a saturday and sunday night. We were met in the car park by the porter who took our cases and gave us some information about the hotel. No check in as booked on line. Excellent.
The hotel is right in the heart of many places to visit. Do the walk through the village to the mill shop. By the way the vegetarians ploughman's is the best we have ever had. Then continue on to upper slaughter well worth the walk. Very pretty.
We ate out both nights as the hotel dinner price was rather costly.
Would stay again the room was fab and very clean. Staff very helpful.

3  Thank JAMMY53
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My Wife and I picked this Hotel through an offer from Secret Escapes.
What a wonderful choice :-)
Everything about this hotel was great. Proper liveried staff, afternoon tea in the gardens, and a delicious 5 course taster dinner in the evening. We even had free sherry in our room!
All aspects of the Hotel were immacuately fininshed, including our room, bathroom, and public areas.
I can thoroughly recommend this Hotel, and the staff.

Room Tip: Away from the extractor fans, or request they switch them off after the Restaurant has closed for th...
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Housekeeping was terrible - soiled towels provided and more soiled towels arrived after complaint. Floors not cleaned properly. Meal service slow and order forgotten. Breakfast buffet was miniscule. Laundry service (in-house) very poor - shirts looked like they were unironed. Almost every day something was wrong. Never again. It was no wonder we were not asked if our stay was enjoyable on check-out are provided with an on-line questionnaire.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
2  Thank John H
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Good Morning John,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback on Tripadvisor, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback in detail should you wish to do please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

I have passed your comment onto my housekeeping team here at the hotel, I have arranged a meeting with our linen supplier on the 06th August as this is unacceptable. I'm sorry that I never got a chance to speak with you on your departure.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed for two nights with our two children in two interconnecting suites. Rooms were very spacious and nicely decorated. The service levels were a bit variable with service slow at times. However the food was wonderful and the staff were always helpful and friendly. The prices are high though and given lack of facilities I would recommend Chewton Glen as a slightly better alternative.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I could not in all honesty recommend this hotel. It is not a 5 star hotel - perhaps by location but not by service or facilities. Rooms have no room safe, mini-bar or tea/coffee making facilities . We were advised at check-in that the hotel would happily serve tea or coffee anywhere in the hotel but ONLY until 10.30am! This was also in the inroom hotel booklet. Perhaps this should have served as warning as to how poorly this hotel is managed.

We are frequent travellers, both for business and leisure - we know that the true assessment of a hotel is how it reacts to problems - in this case it was abysmal.

We stayed 2 nights booked at full price (over £400 a night) thru mr & mrs smith. Our room (Morton) was located up a steep flight of stairs - as I have a mobility issue this was difficult. The room was always uncomfortably hot - this was not due to a warm day but due to part of the floor & wall near bed radiating heat. We surmised this may have been due to plant or hot water pipes underneath as we discovered this after an uncomfortable night when we found clothes in a suitcase (on floor) felt as warm as freshly ironed. We advised the front desk that we were uncomfortable - the response was a shrug, a comment that no one else had complained and the offer of a second fan for the room! There was no attempt made to investigate the complaint. We were stunned by the response and so we went to return to our room but discovered we were unable to as it was being serviced at 8.15am in the morning!

Dismayed by this we contacted both by email & phone Mr & Mrs Smith at 8.30am & left a message asking for a callback on our mobile as we wished to checkout and cancel the 2nd night. Unfortunately this didn't occur until over 8 hours later when we were out of mobile range. After a days sightseeing we returned to the hotel - despite mr & mrs smith advising the hotel we weren't happy there was no message or contact made by the hotel. A staff manager told me the next morning that they had tried to call our room during the day but we were out! Lord knows what they think tourists do!

Breakfast was a sad affair - we noted that the number of pastries/croissants on the buffet appeared to never exceed the no of guests! On the second morning there were no cereal bowls and cutlery missing. Numerous requests had to be made for these. Porridge was ordered but arrived undercooked - we gave up after over 40 min wait for our other hot dish! There were only 2 tables at breakfast so god knows how they cope when busy!

I discussed our room problem with a manager on checkout and amazingly was told that '....you should have let us know'..'! Had to inform that we had & nothing had been done. Advised that we were eligible for an upgrade (from Goldsmith membership of mr & mrs smith) but was told that the hotel knew nothing of this! They advised Mr& Mrs Smith later that the next room category was full originally but they then had cancellations but as they thought we might leave early they didn't bother to contact us. Worth noting that the hotel only had 5-6 rooms occupied both nights we stayed...

Feedback given to Mr & Mrs Smith has been answered with '....we are sorry that the hotel wasn't to your taste' and no apology for its lack of response. The hotel has refunded £20 each for the breakfast experience!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank travelmadgirl61
General M, General Manager at The Slaughters Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Travelmadgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your recent feedback via Tripadvisor. I was extremely dissapointed to learn of your recent experience here at Lower Slaughter Manor and was somewhat suprised to recieve such a review.

I have recently taken over the position of General Manager of Lower Slaughter this month and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback in detail.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lower Slaughter
#4 of 6 in Broadway
Charingworth Manor
Charingworth Manor
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden

Been to The Slaughters Manor House? Share your experiences!