“Unfriendly and offputting.”
Review of River Cafe

River Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Freshly Ground Award winning "Locally Roasted" Coffee. Delicious Homemade Light Lunches. Afternoon Cream Teas with Homemade Scones & Cakes, Or "High Tea"(Sweet & Savoury) by The Millpond of River Eye, Or in the barn. Open 7 days from 10am-5pm(Seasonal hours apply from November-February).
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This cafe is at the back of the old mill in Lower Slaughter. It is now a gift shop which is a nice enough place. We stopped for cream tea in the afternoon and I was a little shocked to see the signs put up everywhere. At first I thought perhaps they were meant to be funny but they clearly arent. We didn't have any children with us ;nevertheless the warning signs were extremely off-putting.I remember one saying children on the rampage will be asked to leave!!! Another one asking you not to climb on the table!!!!

The tea was good though when I asked for an additional cup, I was refused. There were almost three cups in the pot so I thought Id share a bit with my daughter. The scone is alright, have tasted better!!!!

The location is very good but the tea taken here was the only unpleasant part of my fabulous Cotswolds trip. I had taken snaps of the signs and will try and post it later.

3  Thank srilatasriv

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stopped by after our walk for tea and we had the cream tea. The tea was good, the scones were fresh, the cake delicious and the service was friendly.

1  Thank Smeets P
Reviewed 11 May 2014

After reading the reviews I was taken with them and had to sample it for myself. The two of us drove here specially to take afternoon tea and cake. It was warm enough to sit outside and the sun shone down on us in what is a lovely quiet setting. The Café was in an unusual setting I mean to get to it you walk through a very interesting array of gifts and bric-a-brac before finding the door to the café. After you order you help yourself to a seat cushion for the outside seating which was very much appreciated and just relax by the water and enjoy your refreshment. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

1  Thank hockneyhockers
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Childhood memories brought me back to lower slaughter and the River Cafe!

This cafe is located at the back of the shop in the Mill. The staff are friendly and the drinks reasonable, unfortunately the scone was a little tasteless but the overall experience was very nice!

We were lucky enough to have a sunny bank holiday when we visited and it was lovely to sit by the mill pond, be visited by the local wildlife (who scrounge for food with expertise!) and enjoy the sunshine. The cafe also appeared to hand out blankets for those people around us who were a little cool in the breeze (although we did not loan one so I am not sure how accurate this comment is)

The cafe area isnt that large so has an intimate feel but not too close to others to feel encroached by them.

Very well worth a visit to experience the calm that is very apparent in Lower Slaughter and an excellent place to just stop and enjoy the nature and peace that surrounds the location.

1  Thank MeAndMrsJonesUK
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Terrible coffee but great traditional cream tea. Only enough jam for one half of my scone though. Would visit again and avoid the coffee