“nice meal”

Ranked #10 of 11 Royston B&B and Inns
Baldock, United Kingdom
“nice meal”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Used a groupon voucher.On main road,Easy to find.We travelled about 20mins to try.Menu for Groupon customers is pies,Chilli,Chicken etc.Good service from host,Very clean & looks refurbished.Wife had homemade steak pie with fresh veg.I had Chilli with homemade chips.Perhaps a roll/bread added would be nice touch as gravy was excellent.Plenty on plate & hot.Both very nice.Rhubarb & Custard for dessert.Lovely.Well done.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Had a lovely weekend break there this weekend. From the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble. Agree the rooms are small, but you are only sleeping in them, there is a huge courtyard with a relaxing fountain to sit in or the spacious and airy bar/lounge.

The food was excellent - good traditional home made fare, piping hot, and served with a smile. I had a rump steak which was the best steak I had ever tasted, and when speaking to the chef/owner it was sourced from a quality butcher, and cooked to perfection. The same was true of the breakfast sausages and bacon - the quality of the food was wonderful - no short cuts here, which is refreshing to see and of course taste!!

As for the room, well I don't think in all the years I have stayed in hotels for pleasure or on business I have ever come across such a brilliant shower!! Piping hot and tons of pressure it was great!!!!

Good base for Newmarket, Cambridge, we went to the American War Cemetery at Madingley as well as spending the morning moseying around Newmarket.

All in all a great weekend break, the friendliness of the owners and the great food made our stay wonderful - thank you!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I stayed over in December, the room is dirty, and poor quality. I found hair in my bed! The shower room wasn't clean! The towel was dirty.The noise from the road is terrible!! I couldn't sleep. The restaurant food is very cheap quality. Manager was too agresive to me when I told him. Never again

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank paul s
36michelleg36, Owner at Coach House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. How ever I am a bit confused as to why you didnt come to us and say you were unhappy with your room as you stayed two nights. We would have been happy to help with any problems you faced.
I would like to say that I have stayed in the block you were in and the road noise can not be heard from those rooms even with the windows open! I am also very surprised that you found the room dirty as myself and my senior hotel assistant spent the two days prior to you stay pulling beds out and deep cleaning all the rooms in that block!
I am also confused at why you say our members of staff were aggressive to you as myself and my father were working on the two evenings of your stay and I am certain neither of us were aggressive to anybody- are you sure you are reviewing the right hotel?
I would also like to say that our food quality has always been praised by our guests, as it did on one of your nights stay as we had a large party of guests staying and they were more than happy with the food and portions that were served.
Again I am sorry if you genuinely did not enjoy your stay.

Travellers are raving about these Royston hotels

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have had the fabulous experience of the hospitality and friendliness of Michelle (owner) and her Dad John. They tell me they bought this business in February 2013 and opened again after refurbishments around April 2013 time. I haven't stayed in one of their chalet rooms, but other diners I have met, on the several occasions I have visited for the Restaurant, are impressed.

I love the fillet steak, very succulent and amazing price compared to other places I have eaten. I would recommend this business. I enjoy and work close enough to be able to visit most weeks.
I wish the owners well on what is a great little business.

Room Tip: Be honest with what you need and I'm sure you wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Julesx64
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

just returned from a great weekend .read reviews on this hotel before we went and have to say we enjoyed our stay there very friendly owners and the food was excellent .we went down for the airshow and the hotel was very well placed for duxford though the weather could have been better but thats england for you but still had a good time. we will definatly use this hotel again

Room Tip: rooms in the courtyard very qiut
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The hotel is described as 'set in 5 acres', but don't expect a quiet country retreat. This is a restaurant and bar right on the main A505, with rooms formed from converted stable blocks at the back. It was not evident to me how the 5 acres benefits the guests.

Apart from the road noise, the approach to the hotel is pleasant. The rooms form three sides of a quadrangle, the restaurant and bar making up the fourth. There is a fountain in the middle and lots of flowers at the time I was there. Very picturesque!

The three accommodation blocks between them provide 22 guest rooms of varying sizes, part single-storey and part two-storey; the upper floors built into roofspaces.

When I booked, the LateRooms web site showed no single room availability so I booked single occupancy of a double room, which cost one breakfast less than a double or twin. However, I was allocated a very small single room, definitely not 'single occupancy of a double'. I would estimate the size at about 70 Sq Ft (7 Sq M) part of which was under the sloping roof so only about 50 Sq Ft was standing height. That's not much space for £65.

The decorations appeared recent and were fine and fairly fresh. The furniture was a little battered but sturdy and there was plenty of storage. There was no table or chair in this room but no space for them anyway. There was a small TV and, even in this small room, a trouser press. There was a kettle with a selection of teas and coffees although the crockery was not washed up and the supplies were not replenished for the second of my two days.

The en suite was small but adequate for one with a slightly tired shower. The water flow from the cold tap was feeble, but this may be a feature of this room, or of the upstairs rooms. The hot water is very hot and the taps are not mixers, so children beware! There were complimentary shower gel and shampoo miniatures but no hand soap, so the shower gel had to be used.

Although the weather was not particularly hot, the room was stuffy: possibly a feature of the attic rooms. The only window was a large roof light. This cleared the air fine and did not let in water even when it rained. However, it does let in the road noise and also the sound of the fountain. The fountain is a lovely feature in the daytime, but perhaps it needs to be put to bed overnight.

Breakfast is in the pub's restaurant. There was small selection of cereals and a smaller selection of rather tired whole fruits but none of the prepared fruits, savouries or pastries I have come to expect from most hotels. Your choice of cooked breakfast is served at the table as are hot drinks, including rather good coffee served in a cafetiere.

There is a reasonable selection of evening meals at typical pub restaurant prices. Most people around me seemed to enjoy theirs, but my gammon and chips, allegedly cooked on a grill, was very oily. The hotel said that this was caused by oil from the egg on top, but that was an awful lot of oil for one egg. Perhaps the chef needs to be told about draining oil before service: it does rather defeat one of the benefits of grilling rather than frying.

There was no background music in the restaurant. I don't like loud music, but the silence meant that most people were whispering to each other, making the atmosphere rather library-like. Anyone not whispering was inevitably broadcasting to the entire room. There really does need to be some subtle 'white noise' to enable normal conversation and to cloak the food-sucking noises that travel so easily in an otherwise quiet environment.

The hotel seems to be run by a young couple with help from her father and others. The young generation seemed very jolly and everyone was eager to please. Whilst I was there, her children seemed to use the bar as their playroom. I can't know if this was normal or because a child minder was on holiday, but any guests with an aversion to children may need to be aware that child-squabbling and parent-correction background noises may be a feature of your meal, and there were even several intrusions into the restaurant of a crawling infant in a nappy. The hotel have said that the presence of children is because it is 'family hotel' but it was quite evident that the children in question were part of the family of the owners / managers and possibly, therefore, a regular feature, rather than occasional visitors.

The room rate for a couple or a family is reasonable and other rooms may be of a reasonable size. However, I do not think the rate for a single person is appropriate. Nor do I think the four star rating is justified either for the accommodation or for the breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Weezysgrandpop
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Ate here for my birthday with my family (2 adults & 2 teenage boys) on a Saturday night using a Groupon voucher. Staff were very friendly and food was delicious. There was a good choice of food on the menu but we all had sirloin steaks which were all cooked just right - couldn't fault the food at all.
The restaurant was nicely decorated and tables all attractively laid but the heating wasn't on and the weather had turned cold. I felt cold but the rest of my party were all warm enough. Initially we were the only people in the restaurant which was a shame as it felt a bit strange - no atmosphere. I guess it mainly gets business trade during the week. Eventually another couple arrived - think they must have been staying in one of the rooms. There was no one in the bar apart from the owner's, their 3 young children and maybe another staff member (chef?). I wasn't concerned about the children in the bar (unlike other reviewers) at least the parents were looking after them rather than being babysat somewhere else. However when the youngest child started to cry the other couple eating got up and closed the door to the bar so they obviously didn't like it.

As we didn't stay at the hotel I can't comment on the rooms but agree with other reviewers that the setting around the courtyard is very pleasant and had views of a lovely sunset when we were there. I would suggest maybe some lighting at the end of the building as you go out to the car park.

I would definitely recommend the food here, just hope for their sake they get a bit more custom on a weekend as it would be such a shame to see all their efforts to get the place up and running again go to waste. There were a few cars in the car park so hopefully they make more money from the accommodation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank lil.chipmunk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Royston
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10
The Cambridge Belfry - A QHotel
Orchard House
Orchard House
#4 of 11 in Royston

Been to Coach House Hotel? Share your experiences!