“Superb Service at the Inn”
Review of Old Bull Inn

Old Bull Inn
Ranked #3 of 10 Royston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This is the first time that I have felt compelled to write a review about a stay at a hotel. This Inn catered for your every need. Nothing was too much trouble. We were staying here as we were attending a wedding about 20 mins away. We had ordered prior to our arrival a variety of sandwiches as we were on a tight schedule. The platter was excellent and very fresh. When returning to the Inn after a long day at a wonderful wedding we had a night cap before turning in and the staff even asked if we wanted another round before closing the bar.
The accommodation was very clean and comfortable and the breakfast was again not a disappointment. Again nothing was too much trouble.

I would recommend anyone to stay and this very welcoming, friendly and organised establishment.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Old Bull Inn

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Old Bull Inn whilst on business. I found the check in process quite efficient. The room itself (room 9) was totally acceptable. It was clean, the bed was comfortable and coffee/tea making facilities provided. Bedding was lovely and clean.

The bathroom was also very clean, and the shower was powerful and easily adjustable. Shampoo and shower gel were provided.

Breakfast was a pleasure too. A choice of cereals or full English breakfast were available, and coffee/tea was brought to the table quickly on arrival.

Thoroughly enjoyable!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed here in May 2013 - not my choice, I was on a training course and it was booked for me. Initially I had some issues finding it as it is tucked away and my sat nav wasn't quite close enough and I ended up driving past it twice before spotting it in my rear view mirror and getting it right on my third attempt at the one way system.
I was allocated Room 8 (there are only 11 rooms), which is on the High Street side of the hotel. It was quite compact with solid furniture, but had everything I needed and a comfortable bed. Ensuite shower room. Tea making equipment supplied but no biscuits!
The hotel is an old 16th century building so it has certain quirks as you would expect - my room had a distinctly sloping floor which had the effect of making me slightly drunk and out of control as I walked across it - as did the bathroom, when I stepped out of the shower, I felt as though I was falling towards the opposite wall.
I had read previous reviews and wondered about the noise - but I stayed Mon-Wed and had no problem at all.
Also from previous reviews, I was a little doubtful about the food. BUT this proved not to be a problem either.
I ate in the bar for three evenings, something different from the menu each time and found the food to be of good quality and generous portions, nicely presented.
I had breakfast on three mornings and took the full English, finding the bacon and sausage again to be good quality. The egg arrived poached on my plate - not a great fan, would definitely prefer fried, and on the third morning, opted for scrambled egg, which was spot on. The toast was a bit variable - random types of "cheap" bread which was a little disappointing.
As for the tomatoes, well I'm not quite sure what they do to them..... but I wish they didn't.
Overall, it was a pleasant place to stay, certainly not the formulaic hotel like the Holiday Inn etc but a lovely character building with very pleasant staff.
Probably not for people who can't cope with stairs and steps.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Krispii
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Popped in one evening for a small meal , very pleasant atmosphere, sevice was ok , menu seemed good but fairly pedestrian ,slight quirkyness about the place that made it appealing,Lots of easy free car parking in the evening, all in all well worth a visit

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MatthewVH
Reviewed 17 April 2013

It is a popular place so, by definition somewhat noisy in the evenings; and being so old it is full of stairs, steps and quirks, so if either of these things would be a problem then The Old Bull Inn might not be for you. On the other hand it is a conveniently situated pub right in the middle of Royston with ample pub or public parking. We stayed for three nights, and found the staff to be consistently friendly and helpful. We had a clean and comfortable double room, the breakfasts set us up for the day, and the two evening meals that we had there (one in the restaurant and one in the bar) were very enjoyable. If ever returning to this part of the world we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank taffandhubby
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Booked lunch here for 4 ladies. We sat and had a drink in the bar and, despite having booked for 12.30 and still sitting in the bar at 1pm, were not pressured into moving to our reserved table. We were served our meal in good time by very friendly, efficient staff. The food was good and well-presented. Not the cheapest, but somewhat above 'pub grub'.
The hotel has a very comfortable, almost homely, feel to it whilst retaining a nice formality. We lingered after all the other tables were cleared but felt no pressure to leave. (Very nice ladies' powder room}.
It's located in the centre of Royston and has a small parking area, but there is also public parking nearby.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank shirleyEastMidlands
Reviewed 27 February 2013

The rooms are nothing like pictured on the website or at least mine wasn't. I had a dated 70's shoe box with plaster falling off the walls in the bathroom, cracked walls and tired decor. It's saving grace was it was clean. This would not be anywhere near the top of my return to list!
Old Bull I'm afraid you need to raise your game!

• Stayed: February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Royston
Sheene Mill
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10
The George at Baldock
The George at Baldock
#1 of 4 in Baldock

Been to Old Bull Inn? Share your experiences!