“A birthday group for dinner”

The Belle Freehouse & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Belle Freehouse & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 64 Restaurants in Royston
Price range: US$7 - US$39
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our fully refurbished family-friendly pub offers modern British cuisine. We have a vast selection of lagers, real ales, fine wines, spirits, soft drinks and freshly ground coffee. We are open Monday - Thursday 16:00 - 23:00, Friday 12:00-00:00 Saturday 12:00 - 00:00 and Sunday 12:000 - 23:00. Food serving hours Wednesday & Thursday 18:00-21:00, Friday 12:00-00:00 Saturday 12:00 - 21:00 and Sunday 12:00 - 16:00 . All parties/private functions catered for.
Reviewed 25 March 2018

Nicely decorated pub - young staff on a Saturday night - bar service was pleasant and efficient - dining area wasn't full (perhaps surprising on a Saturday) - nice not over complicated menu - food was freshly prepared and tasty (the piccalilli with the ham hock terrine was sensational) - a very nice evening with lots of cross table chat - spoiled a little by the noise of the hen party karaoke in the bar.

2  Thank patersa

Reviewed 21 February 2018

I had heard differing reports of the food in the restaurant here but my experience this evening was far from average. The menu is relatively short but I never think that a bad thing and the pork belly I chose was excellent. If I had one very small complaint, it would be that there could have been a few more vegetables but a starter and main course left me pleasantly full. The portion sizes are fine, not overly generous but certainly not the miserable little offerings you so often get these days that have you raiding the fridge as soon as you get home.
All in all, the food is good, nicely cooked, served piping hot by friendly staff and reasonable value for money. Certainly worth a visit.

5  Thank samsotc
Reviewed 18 February 2018

Very cold inside hardly anyone in there we discovered why. Bad service they forgot half the stuff ! It’s close to us but not going back

8  Thank MKTGRoyston
Reviewed 16 February 2018

We are so lucky to have such a great pub with excellent food in our small corner of South Cambs. Bassingbourn isn't a huge village, so to have not one but two pubs, and one serving restaurant-food as well as pub classics, is a real privilege.

We booked a table for Valentine's Day and were not disappointed. The dining room itself was welcoming and full, mostly of course with couples but one or two group bookings too. A nice buzzy atmosphere without being too noisy.

The menu was simple and the food excellent: to start we shared a charcuterie board with a selection of cured meats, salami, ham hock and anchovies. The chorizo was our favourite, and the homemade Belle's own "Piccadilly Lily" gave the meats an extra bite!

The Chateaubriand was melt-in-the-mouth delicious, again served simply with watercress, asparagus spears and sweet potato fries, and a melted chilli butter. When food is that good there's just no need to muck about with extra sauces and I think it takes a great chef to know that! As for the wine list - perfect, we chose a rioja and again, it says a lot about a place when you can choose a decent bottle of wine to go with decent food (and not at silly prices either).

Finally desserts - four amazing chocolate desserts to share, just the right balance of richness.

Overall.... we've been to the Belle a few times and enjoyed every meal. The food is fresh, homemade and delicious, the staff down to earth yet attentive, making you feel really welcome. We're lucky enough to be able to wander down the road to enjoy it, but it's definitely a village pub worth travelling to.

1  Thank Cath B
Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

I recently had a meal at The Belle Freehouse. The food was lovely, the wine was excellent and the service was smiley and friendly. I was enjoying a great evening with my friends until I was about to pay my bill. I was standing at the bar and heard a very loud and crude conversation with whom I learnt to be the owner/manager. Maybe I shouldn’t have been listening in, however it was quite difficult not to hear as the drunken voice was particularly loud. Comments of a very crude, sexual and inappropriate nature aimed at a young woman who was also stood at the bar. The woman looked very uncomfortable, shocked and upset. She quickly left. This was very disheartening to see/hear after having such a lovely evening. I would highly recommend the food and experienced great service from restaurant/bar staff, but I won’t be returning in a hurry after hearing the explicit opinions of young women by the management.

11  Thank WendySmithhh
Megan W, Owner at The Belle Freehouse & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2018

Dear Wendy, firstly many thanks for your glowing review with regards to the food, service and wine on offer at the Belle.

Regarding your comments with regards to the owner/manager's supposed inappropriate comments towards a young lady at the bar.
Having discussed this with the staff and having not had a single complaint from anyone we're all struggling to recollect when this event may have occurred?

As a business we employ a lot of young ladies and we create a safe working environment for them to operate in so they have no fear of intimidation or abuse from either other staff members or customers. As one of the owners of the Belle I personally make sure that this is the case so when I hear an allegation of the above I do take particular interest.

If this is a genuine concern of yours can I please ask that you email me info@thebellefreehouse.co.uk and I'd be more than happy to have dialogue with you. If however this pure mischief making of which I'm actually think it is then please do not expect a bite from anyone here.

As its your first review I wonder if your'e genuinely from Royston and in fact not from Botswana as I notice a previous post was taken down.

Hmmmm I wonder?