“Odd meal in local indian”

The Royal Bengal Tandoori Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 61 Restaurants in Royston
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Odd actually doesn't start to describe what came.

I ordered onion bajhis and a chilli chicken balti. The bajhis were soft but of good flavour and the balti was also nice, but completely covered in what must have been an entire packet of birds eye chilli's. Far to many to eat, I ate 12 and still a huge mountain remained, a complete waste.

Son ordered, sheek kebab, delicious, and then chef's special balti. The latter was poor, sauce mostly tomatoe puree, not even close to a balti flavour.

Friend ordered bahjis and lamb tikka balti. The bajhis soft like mine, the balti was rather odd. Instead of Lamb Tikka, Chicken Tikka arrived. Investigations revealed minced lamb in the sauce, so a very odd combination, wrongly advertised. Friend left most of it.

Free mints and brandy arrived, nice touch.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

I have to be honest and tell you I'm reviewing this restaurant on its food alone as I had a takeaway. Although I've eaten on the premises many times over the last 20 years. Since it has been under the current management I must say I'm very disappointed. It seems most customers give good reviews just because they've hd good service. Let me tell you the food is diabolical. I had a tandoori chicken starter that was pre prepared from a bygone age & the amount of salt on it was enuf to give u a cardiac arrest. I then had a chicken pasanda. This had a chicken tika base. The meat was so obviously pre prepared then left to go cold and reheated which of course dried the meat out beyond recognition. My Peshawar naan was cold and very unsatusfying. I knew mr choudari who made that restaurant what it is today when it was called the British raj and he would never have served the disgusting excuse for food that they gave me today. Shame on you royal Bengal.

4  Thank Dannyboyba
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This is a friendly, welcoming restaurant in Royston and we have visited on a number of occasions as the food and service are excellent.
We are yet to find another venue that lives up to the same quality/taste of dishes.
We recently introduced some Italian friends to sample Indian food for the first time-they were very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I have lived in Royston all my life and this restaurant has been my favourite place to eat over and above anywhere else for years. I moved away to university a couple of years ago but every time I'm back I insist on eating here.

The decor is admittedly a little dated and the restaurant is very small, but don't let that deter you. The owners and staff run an impeccably tight ship, with a clean and bright atmosphere and great service. Plus if you haven't booked they'll do their utmost to fit you in. If you're a particularly fussy eater they are also happy to remove certain ingredients, add extra sauce/hotness etc.

I have been to a few Indian restaurants in Royston, London, Leicester (the supposed multi-cultural capital of Britain) and Hertford. Too many other restaurants leave me looking for the chicken I supposedly ordered with my greasy, mild 'sauce', but I can say with confidence that taste, quality and value for money are best found at Royal Bengal if you're looking for filling, mouthwatering Indian cuisine - it's no surprise to me that this is the number one restaurant in Royston.

The complimentary Baileys/Whisky with the bill if you're drinking will also go down a treat!

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Excellent as always. Whether eating in or taking out food is hot and tasty. They are also happy to amend dishes (increase or decrease spice level etc.)