“VERY UNWELCOMING :(”

Royal China
Ranked #12 of 34 Restaurants in Banstead
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sutton, United Kingdom
“VERY UNWELCOMING :(”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I we got vouchers for my parents-in-law as their anniversary present for £70s. But they insisted we go along for the occasion as well. So we called up to reserve the place for Saturday afternoon for 7 of us. When we got there the lady at the door greeted us with - "Hello, just to let you know we will be closing in couple of hrs. So we said of- 2 hrs should be ample of time for a meal... Food comes pretty quick. During the meal we were reminded twice- that the place will be closing soon. Even before some of us have finished the waitress starts to collect our plates even without asking. So, so rude!!! I have never felt so embarrassed. We ate and left very quickly. Wrote to the manager but never heard anything back. I wish they had simple said- we are closed or can we reserve a place for you for the evening.... NEVER AGAIN!

• Visited January 2013
7 Thank Saira_Webster

London, United Kingdom
“Need improve your customer service”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My husband and I have used the Royal China for years but only in the evening. Went there today at lunchtime with my daughter. Was told there no lunch menu available, not a major issue, but no reason given. We were the only ones in the restaurant and shown to a table where the table cloth was freshly laundered but stained. The member of staff was abrupt and it was clear that the cucumber strips for the duck were old and not freshly prepared. My daughter was keen to have a Chinese so we stayed and the main dishes were good, but the service really let the restaurant down. We were finally served by another member of staff who could have been the owner and she was more welcoming, however all my previous experience have had good staff so was very disappointed with today. Hope this improves or we won't be coming back.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank JessC031
London
“At best mediocre”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Do not expect to get authentic Chinese food at The Royal China. At best it can be called some sort of Asian cuisine.
Dishes ordered : Mapo Tofu - It had Tofu and pork alright, but it should've been rather called Tofu with Pork; couldn't pass this as Mapo Tofu.
Mixed veggies with cashew - poor taste, it felt as though it was just put together ti charge us the amount stated on the menu; edible at best.
Prawn tempura - was decent. again, not Chinese, but tasted alright.
Service was rapid.
Would we visit again - No.
Would i recommend this in Banstead - not to my friends.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank varun_mukthi
London, United Kingdom
“Love it”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We always use this place, such great value for money, an the food is amazing, unfortunately, it has been closed for refurbishment for the last couple of month now opened with a new name! But everything is the same. So give it a go!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank sarn0208
“Overpriced average quality food and rude obnoxious staff and owner.”
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

My Mother, 2 children and I visited last week for an all you can eat dinner at £17.50 pp .
The food was ok , nothing special . The staff were so rude , they crammed us in the middle of 2 tables , when the end of the restaurant was completely empty .
The owner came over a number of times to tell my 3 year old son to be quiet as he was making too much noise which he wasn't .
They said they would not charge him which they did .
Very disappointing and I won't be going back .

• Visited June 2013