“Very very good in a small town”

Au Chant des Galipes
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Verzy
Price range: US$18 - US$39
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had driven 3 plus hours to Verzy, after arriving in CDG Airport Paris following two flights from Malaysia. So, it was nice to settle down to a good dinner. This restaurant was recommended by our rented apartment's owner and it was just 5 minutes walk away. The restaurant had a simple decour, no big deal as this was a really small town and we were already happy that there was a restaurant for us here.
We were greeted by a bubbly waitress who showed us to our table and gave us the menus in French and tried her best to translate it for us. The guests at the next table helped out. We ordered a beef steak, a rack of lamb and two servings of duck breast. All four of us enjoyed our meals tremendously. The waitress came over often to make sure we were ok. Then for dessert, we had two portions of creme brulee, also very good but a bit too sweet for us. Please see photos of our meal. The Chef came out and we complimented him on our fine first French meal of this trip.
And the whole bill came to Euros 82, without wine. Very reasonable, I would say.

1  Thank Mah T

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Perhaps my topnotch review for this restaurant stems from the fact that I was on the route de Champagne through countless villages with no resto in sight at about 1pm..My stomach thought my head was cut off...as I had not eaten breakfast. I did not care whether the place was nice or not, I was hungrey. What a surprise to find a lovely restaurant. I had the set menu (there is an a la carte) for 34 Euros. There is another for 27 euros, but the choice was more interesting at 34 Euros. Americans and Canadians, if you think this is expensive, think again. There are 4 courses, a starter (entree), a main course, a cheese plate and an desert. I chose scallops, which were not overcooked, but a bit too salty for my taste. There were 4 on the plate however, which, in Montreal at trendy restos would constitute a main....Then came the MAgret de Canard. I was not asked how I would like it cooked, so was a bit apprehensive, but it came rare, Yum. Americans, if you want it well done, then tell them. The cheese course was tasty but too cold. IT would have been better at room temp. There were three, a French Gruyere, a Camembert, and a Blue (Ambert I think. I did not choose my desert well; try the torte de Reims...It looked better than the chocolate Creme Brulee that I had. For the price it was very good. I had a house champagne, a local product, for 8 euros, which was at least 125 ml if not 150 ml. Good value, especially if you like Bollinger style champagne ( a vernors gingerale aftertaste). I consider this to be a very good value resto as there are no added taxes or tips; for example, in Montreal, you would have to add 30% to the price; a meal like this in Montreal would cost close to 75-80 $SCDN. If, hhowever, you do not wish to spend this amount while on the Champagne route, my suggestion is to pack a picnic lunch and a good bottle of wine (or purchase a champagne on route and enjoy the gorgeous scenery at a picnic table, of which there are tons on this route.

2  Thank laficabella
Reviewed 26 September 2013

There was no menu choice but it was a nice, simple, "set" lunch in a pleasant restaurant.
The owner/waitress was particularly friendly and the service was good.

2  Thank Nick A
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed at Le Molyneux in Verzy and this restaurant is just 10 meters from the BB. This family run place was quiet at our visit with only two more tables with guests. But we had a great meal here, actually the best dinner during our stay in Champagne.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I dropped in for lunch on French Father's Day and treated myself to a coupe of the local Verzy grower champagne Lardennois, which was pleasantly full-flavoured and matched the satisfying fixed price three course menu. Despite arriving on a busy Sunday they found a table for me without any fuss. The cheerful decor of buttercup walls with red curtains and napery is very comfortable, and the service was pleasant and efficient, coping easily with local families and visitors alike. The wine list is short but has six local makers, which is an excellent opportunity to try grand cru Verzy champagnes. Au Chant des Galipes is an authentic local restaurant serving reliable food at a reasonable price, and is virtually next door to the welcoming chambre d'hote of les Molyneux.