“perfect family holiday”

Establo San Rafael B&B
New York City, New York
“perfect family holiday”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

A stay with Brenda and the animals is a life-affirming, perhaps even life-changing experience for anyone. She is an extraordinary woman and horse-woman, who can teach dressage to a high level on her much-loved horses, and also has the patience to help a distracted small boy begin to notice the wonders of the natural world. Beyond her human family, and their dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, goats and guinea pigs Brenda has a toucan who lives in her shower and a goose who follows her over the property. My son and I have stayed with her five times in as many years, flying down from NYC: each time has been different, and each wonderful: we have hiked up the river to the bat cave, swum (with and without the horses) in natural pools and waterfalls, sat by the fire pit under tropical stars, slept in a treehouse, seen parrots, monkeys, sloths and crocodiles in their natural habitats, watched sugar cane being processed, worked daily with the horses in the ring and out of the trails and -- this year, special treat, ridden the horses in the sea! If I need to justify spending the money for another visit to Brenda I have only to look at how much my son grows -- in patience, kindness, and happiness-- each time. I can't recommend this too highly.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank julietf457

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My time at Establo San Rafael was incredible ... since the day I left I have been hoping to go back!
I fell in love with the horses, the farm, and the trail rides, and Brenda and her family quickly became some of my favorite people. They are welcoming and friendly, and endlessly patient coaches.
The trail rides through the forest and mountains are beautiful; racing up "Galloping Hill" is a great adrenaline rush; there are hikes to waterfalls and plenty of animals to keep you entertained. The horses are incredibly well-cared for, and you will love getting to know them!
There isn't anything at ESR that I wouldn't rave about! Whether you go by yourself, with a group, or with your family, you will have a great time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Gabi B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Establo San Rafael was more than I had hoped for. I travelled from Canada to Costa Rica alone and really didn't know what to expect. I spent three weeks on the farm and can honestly say that by the end of the third week I was wishing I had more time. The horses are beautiful, well cared for, and full of personality. There is a horse for everybody, whether you're a beginner or have been riding your whole life. If you want to improve your dressage I would definitely reccomend E.S.R; Brenda is an amazing coach. The trails were beautiful. Everyone about the area is beautiful and even if you aren't into horse back riding there is a waterfall/swimming hole nearby that I visited a few times.
Overall, my time in Puriscal was amazing and I would definitely reccomend this farm to anyone.

3 Thank JustineWP
#1 of 3 in Santiago de Puriscal
Hotel Villa Colon
Hotel Villa Colon
#1 of 2 in Ciudad Colon

Been to Establo San Rafael B&B? Share your experiences!