“A room with a view...”

Villas Mastatal
Dublin, Georgia
“A room with a view...”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

What a great place ! Wow !. I have stayed in 5 star hotels, dumps and many places in between. And travel the world with my business. I also grew up on a farm, am an Eagle Scout, and appreciate all things that are nature.
This farm/hostel is a great place to learn and breathe fresh air. Javier and his wife, Raquel are VERY nice ! Any reviews that state otherwise are just wrong. If you are looking for peace and quiet; fresh pineapple, lemons, watermelons, mango, banana; fresh vegetables and mountain clean water, this is the place. As a WOOF farm/property, the organic work Javier performs is simple, yet important. The food was great, the hospitality was great and they are providing yoga, wellness, aquaponics, organic farming, and hydroponics. Cold beer from the cooler is only $2 US and the Mastatal bar is only 1/2 mile down the road. I will be making this place my "go to" for the next R&R coming up. And no gestapo bootcamp here !! They treat you like adults and join in on all the fun that occurs. It is laid back, natural, and relaxed.

Room Tip: They have 2 private lodge rooms and numerous bunks. All have electricity within reach.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank CobaltConnection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Villas Mastatal is a wonderful place to volunteer, stay, learn and make friends. The accomodation (dorm) is basic but connects you with nature. There are also private cabiñas available for couples or families. You wake up at the sound of birds, insects and frogs, overlooking the beautiful valley and mountains of Mastatal, often times seeing parrots and toucans flying by. The work on the farm could be hard at times, but Javier made it fun by playing good music in the field, making jokes all the time, and also teaching us what we were doing and why. Some days were more laid back though. The food was always good, but if you're a big meat-eater don't expect to eat too much meat there. To me it was perfect! I never went hungry, and everything was so fresh, for it came right from their land. Javier and Raquel are very nice, helpful and generous people, helping us with the language and showing us the work on the farm. My stay was very short (10 days) for my whole trip in Csta Rica was short (17 days). But I definitely recommand this place to anyone who wishes to experience organic farming and sustainable tourism while getting to learn about the local culture, the language and make friends. I don't know when yet, but I will definitely go back there at some point in my life, and Villas Mastatal will be my #1 stop in Costa Rica. ¡Pura Vida!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Sophie G
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Javier is fantastic at showing, explaining and helping you learn what his farm is all about. It was well organised in terms of work, food and responsibilities around the farm. He was very patient with us even though our Spanish wasn't very good. The setting is beautiful, one of the best toilets you will ever sit on...possibly! The dorms were amazing as it felt like you were sleeping outside (mossie nets included!). Not much in the near by town so I would recommend taking snacks with you, maybe some drink and even though the food provided when you volunteer is really good I struggled with that much rice and pasta for breakfast. But they were good at making sure all food was used up , nothing wasted but just come prepared! Loved it here....slice of quiet paradise!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jennyfish27
Sarasota
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I traveled to this farm under the strong review of a friend based on my interest in agricultural work. Intended to stay for over 5 weeks, quickly decided to cut my stay nearly in half. Agricultural work offered was minimal, the food was extremely poor and lacked fruits and vegetables for a considerable amount of time, and the family was absent most of the time and did not communicate well with the volunteers. Rules on working and eating would be changed without notice or discussion with volunteers. Directions and a main plan for our jobs were rarely received. There were several different incidents where the main person running the farm made fun of other volunteers behind their backs, and the majority of the work that we did during my time there was construction work around their house.
Considering other great reviews and the personal recommendation that I was given, my travel partner and I feel as though the experiences shared amongst ourselves and several other volunteers may have been unusual to our visit, however I believe that those intending to travel here should be warned that their Help X and WWOOF pages are not advertised truthfully.
If our expectations had been different, we may have had a better time here. If you're looking for a relaxing time in a rural area that's close to a lot of natural beauty with La Cangreja in the front yard and a beautiful river and waterfall in the back, this may be your place. However, I would not return here again with the intentions to learn about agriculture.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a close friend or a significant other, pay the extra $5 per person and...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank nat1124
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Reviewed 21 July 2012

javier takes you and and really makes you feel welcome. he genuinely takes an interest in your ideas and feedback on the farm. the accomodation, facilities and surrounding area of the farm are so beautiful with great views of the surrounding valleys and mountains. nearby are many great trails and waterfalls withing 20-30mins i highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: the dorm down the bottom is best, better beds, mosquito nets and you can wake up to a view of the fo...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank abediddie
Bedford
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at Villas Mastatal for 7 weeks. We were looking to intern/volunteer on a farm in central america practicing sustainable agriculture/permaculture. We found Villas Mastatal through the WWOOF organization, and from a friend's recommendation. Javier and his family are amazingly nice. The accommodations are dry and clean, in two open-air dorms. There is one private cabin available which we reserved. We appreciated having a little more privacy for our long stay. They use compost toilets and outdoor showers, no hot water. The food is simple and great, typical Costa Rican beans and rice, salads and fruits. Volunteers pay $10 a day and work 4-5 hours each morning in exchange for room and board, and a great experience. The work is physical--lots of digging, weeding and swinging machetes. Afternoons and weekends are completely free to hike the bordering Cangreja National Park, visit other farms, sunbathe on the yoga deck, walk into town for a beer, or just take a nap in a hammock. Oh and the nearby chocolate farm sends a guy on a motorcycle twice a week to Villas Mastatal selling flavored truffles, cookies and brownies. I have some videos of Villas Mastatal on youtube.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Santiago de Puriscal
Macaw Lodge
Macaw Lodge
#1 of 2 in Carara

Been to Villas Mastatal? Share your experiences!