All reviewssteeped in historymid waleswarm welcomekevinwyecyclingrestored
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Just stayed with a party of 5. Excellent disabled facilities. What a wonderful place, steeped in history and a great host. Would not hesitate to stay again, wonderful scenery and great warm welcome from the locals.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Carbillvic
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We have just returned from a few days stay at the Clochfaen in their self catering cottage. The two cottages are located just behind the main house and Aubrey's Bed and Breakfast.

We stayed in the two bedroomed cottage known as South Cottage which is well equipped for a small family (there are three of us and the cottage can easily accommodate four). The adjoining cottage is three bedroomed and together both can cater for a large group as well.

We had a very warm welcome from Kevin, one of the owners, who is extremely helpful.

If you are looking for a base in mid Wales where you can have a bit of quiet in the evenings, then this is the place for you. This is about my fourth stay - obviously we love it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This is my first go at leaving a review of the here so bare with me lol! I have actually stayed at the clochfaen once before in 2008 and both visits have been top notch! Each time I have been with a group of five or more an its never been a problem, and Kevin makes us feel welcome all the time. And the value for money is excellent! Each time when we have arrived Kevin has rung ahead to the pubs to check availability for meals for us then brings out tea and cake etc, and as echoed above the breakfast is amazing! Both times we have gone to our rally at sweet lamb and not need lunch due to the breakfast. And finally the little details really highlight the clochfaens qualities, like mini toothpastes in the bathrooms, slippers in the bedroom and at breakfast there are bucket loads of juices to choose from and more. I hope this review does justice to the clochfaens because it's a real lovely place to stay and I'm from Devon and would travel the 250 miles just for a night away ;-)

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 19 June 2012

3 of us stayed here on a boys week-end away doing the Trans-Cambrian cycle route ((www.imba.org.uk). We arrived late in the afternoon to be given a welcoming light tea / coffee with home made biscuits. Safe storage for the bicycles was also provided. The accommodation is spacious, clean and also included our own Aga heated lounge area including Sky TV and internet access.
2 pubs are in the near-by village and we had good food and beer in the one we tried.
The cooked breakfast was 'spot-on' and plentiful. We also had access to coffee making facilities.
One of the bathrooms is equipped with a 'walk-in' bath for the less-abled. The whole of the guest area is disabled access friendly.
If you are in to historic buildings then this will be another plus point as this house has bag loads of history - just ask Kevin.
Clochfaen is an excellent Bed and Breakfast and sets high standards. It is a well run business, giving guests just what they need. I commend it to you.

Room Tip: There is a double room with en-suite, 2 twin rooms and a bunk bed room. Good access for mobility impaired.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Short-breaks-only
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I had a weeks holiday coming up, the first week in October and I thought about spending time away nearer home, I had been fortunate to visit a few countries abroad over the last 20 years, but I was tempted to be a little enviromental if possible, do as little travelling as possible, spend as little as possible and perhaps explore another country that had a different twist on life, including its history. I chose Wales, Mid wales. I wanted a bed and breakfast, something cosy, welcoming, quiet, though if there was company I wouldn't complain. I searched the net around Llanidloes, found a few places, but liked the look of The Clochfaen. I wasn't wrong in my choice, it is a beautifully restored place, full of charm, character and warmth and just a stones throw away from Llangurig village (pubs, village store) and a 10 minute drive to Llani. It is set halfway up a hillside, has great green field views and is about half a mile off the main road up a long lane adjacent to the village store. The Clochfaen is very hospitable and welcoming, Kevin, the proprietor is a great host and cannot do enough for you. The room I had was charming, comfortable with more than enough facilities (Sky tv, safe,radio alarm, sink unit) whilst adjacent was a great shower room. There was a very nice cosy lounge (with sky tv) and a radiating Rayburn heater. The breakfasts were second to none. cereals, fruit (forget 5 a day, this was 10!) and a great full English with all the trimmings. I had one every day to set me up, I often didn't need to eat again until 5 p.m. I can highly recommend The Clochfaen, its perfectly placed to explore Mid Wales and the coast, so whether you want to explore or just relax, read, fish, walk and cycle, try The Clochfaen. You'll get a warm welcome on reception too!! If you are lucky and you and Kevin has time, he'll give you the history on this place too...and it has some!!

Room Tip: They all looked good to me, but talk to Kevin about your requirements.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo