“Great value, warm reception, comfortable rooms, perfect location. Recommended.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Lion Hotel

Red Lion Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llanidloes
Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Llanidloes B&B and Inns
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Having read a negative review below, I think some people either trump higher than their own fundament or simply enjoy being bilious.

I've stayed at the Lion numerous times over the years and have never been left wanting. The most recent stay was a single night 29th March.

I booked the room at the shortest possible notice (about eight p.m. on the night of my stay) and from the off the demeanour of the staff was as pleasant as anyone without a giant ego could wish for.

After a very hard day I was exhausted and in need of a comfortable bed and a warm room. Both wishes were fulfilled admirably. Sure there was noise from the bar below and it carried on until I fell asleep but I used that secret invention obviously not known by some - earplugs.

After the kip I needed, I polished of the giant cooked breakfast and about a gallon of tea and went on my way feeling a good deal better than the night before.

The rooms and corridors upstairs are spotless and pub downstairs is (wait for it) a PUB. I wouldn't want to perform open-heart-surgery in it, but neither will I need a wash after sitting in it for a few jars.

If you want a cheap , no frills place to get your head down after traversing the hills I don't think you can go far wrong. If you want a boutique fluff-fest and your sense of worth massaging... you're odd.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChappieUk, Public Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review. I found it very pleasing to read and it's nice to give the staff some good news. Thanks again, Kelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

Have eaten here regularly on both Sunday (Carvery) and weekday evenings (bar menu) and food is generally of good quality and well cooked, and reasonably priced, however I have never stayed here but know the town very well and know the pub itself has a regular and sometimes loud clientelle, popular in a town with an amzing amount of pubs.
I read a few of the previous reviews and have to agree with certain points but there are two sides to every story and i see where some of the reviewers are coming from - take for instance the somewhat offputting signs in the restaurant like " take what you want and eat what you take" and "only one yorkshire per person" which is scribbled on a note stuck on a plastic storage container holding the puds on top of the hot counter. The serving staff are young, somewhat lacking in respect especially when it comes to serving the meat (carved in the kitchen not on carvery counter in front of you) and woe betide you if you complain about anything as ladylady (Eileen) has a sharp tongue and a quick fuse. These comments shouldn't put you off if you like a substantial dinner served with all the trimmings and a choice of 3 meat gravies and condiments. Booking on Sunday lunchtime advisable but if you fancy taking your chances you casn collect your meal in the restaurant and bring it into the lounge to eat at one of the many tables (although the sofas are comfortable they are in need of refurbishment and can be a bit low to sit on to eat a meal). The pub has atmosphere, decor is beams and brass and if olde worlde suits you this pub has that charm. Great selection of real ales, beer/minerals prices reasonable. Worth a visit if in Llanidloes.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for a good review. I do feel however that naming people on the site is rather inappropriate and not nice. We have had a lot of the hotel refurbished and redecorated now and to be honest, the settees in the lounge bar are not generally for eating on. We have an abundance of other tables and a 40 seat restaurant - but there again, with around 150 on average for Carvery every week, it would be hard to find another seat unless you book in advance. Thanks,Kelly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

First of all I would like to appologise for not writing this review sooner as I have been stopping in the Red Lion for the best part of three years on and off as I am a contractor working in the nearby town . So after reading some of the reviews on this site which to me are pretty appalling and well out of order this is my opinion of a very well run accommodating family business offering excellent value for money accommodation , the opportunitty to relax in the bar or chill out in your room . At the end of the day this is a very old building with many of the original features loads of character . I need a value for money hotel which gives me the flexibility to come and go as I please and also due to starting early in the morning do me a deal on bed and evening meal instead of breakfast as I'm not ready to eat anything at 5 in the morning . The food is exactly what I'm looking for either a big roast dinner or steak and chips, although the summer ploughmans is something else and has now become my most eaten dish with extra bread of course as this can't be beaten . Yes the hotel can be lively but this is more for the weekend than through the week and go and join in the fun at weekend as all are welcome down in the bar areas or the separate restraunt area but I have always eaten in the bar area myself as this is where I'm most chilled out. Yet again I appologise for not writing this sooner as I have been well
Looked after over the last couple of years or so.
Many thanks Nick ( red army )

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Nickandjacko
Thank you Nick. We look forward to seeing you again!! Kelly
Abbots Langley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

i stayed here with 2 friends and found the pub, food, staff and accomodation value for money,
The Landlady got up to put us a breakfast on the table at 5.30 am, and she also had a very cheery smile, considering it was the middle of the night!! she also provided a packed lunch for us,
I would stay here again,

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your positive review. We do like to accommodate all visitors as well as is possible. Kelly
Warwick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

I only wished I had read the reviews before entering this place for a Sunday lunch with a relative and family 5 in total. Everything said in previous reviews about it being old, unclean, with uninterested shabby staff is true. The food was truly awful the meat was all bits everything was so disorganised, just dont bother with the sunday lunch you will be disapointed. On a brighter note the Timothy Tailors Landlord bitter was good,

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ChappieUk, Public Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
I am sorry you feel this way...but you one of a very small few to think this. We have, every week, 90% return visitors, over 100 customers for our Sunday Carvery. Last week alone we had 164. Bad value? Seriously? It is one persons opinion I suppose. It is a very personal statement saying that our staff are shabby. And I really cannot see why you thought it was disorganised - unless you were one of the many people who didn't book in advance and therefore could not find a table? Our meat is all locally bought so that is personal to them too. But yes, our Real Ales are great - which is why we have been in the Good Beer Guide and Real Ale Guide for the past 10 years. What I would like to add, unrelated to this post, is why do TripAdvisor fail to put up our good reviews? We've had 2 people in the last few weeks say they have added theirs....but nothing. Odd.

Travellers are raving about these Llanidloes hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

My girlfriend and I were running late for a camping trip in the lovely Llanidloes and we didn't fancy pitching a tent in the wind, rain and dark! So we googled B&B's in Llanidloes and came up with the Red Lion on Longbridge Street. What a mistake! The pub downstairs was dirty, smelly, greasy and tatty but because I'd called ahead to reserve a room I thought I'd be polite and at least view the room... and to be fair, the room was surprisingly fine... the bathroom was from the 1970's but all we wanted was a clean bed and a good nights sleep! So as it was now 10pm we decided to stay...

DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP!!!

By 11pm the pub beneath our room was bouncing despite being rather quiet when we first arrived. This went on to the small hours and even after the pub had closed, the revellers moved to the beer garden and car park to continue with the racket. I actually telephoned the bar at about midnight to ask how long the noise would go on for... the lady said she would try to turn the music down... but if anything, it seemed to get louder! She told me that this was one of the quietest rooms ... but we might as well have been sleeping on the pub floor!!

The next morning we braved the dump downstairs to go for breakfast... everywhere was covered in a film of grease from the fat fryer in the kitchen; to give the whole place that "not been painted since the smoking ban" look. It was the greasiest experience I've ever had. I felt like I'd be raped by a pig!

Upon leaving... (and what annoyed me the most) was when I complained to the village idiot working at reception (which was in fact the bar) she said that "if I had have wanted a good nights sleep, that I should not have stayed in a town!" What a simple minded comment to make. Then the manageress / fat fryer supervisor came out to add weight to the Simpletons argument... she had the cheek to say that I was only complaining to get a reduction in price... so I threw my £60 across the bar and set off across the threadbare, putrid carpet (which in parts is held together with lashings of duct tape) to reach fresh air at last.

I'd like to point out that I have stayed in towns and cities across the world... and I am not for one minute suggesting that people can’t have a sing and dance in a pub all night long if they want to (I enjoy a party as much as anyone else!) ... but it's not fair for some publican to make profit from letting out sleeping accommodation knowing full well how loud it gets... it should be one or the other. The two should not be mixed unless adequate sound proofing or distance is placed between the party and the sleeping accommodation. At the very least, they should have warned us about how noisy it gets and we would have happily moved on to another B&B, there were enough to choose from, and the next day we realised that they were much nicer and less expensive!!

Don't let my story put you off Llanidloes though the village is lovely and so are the people (except the two dopes I spoke to at the Red Lion!) Also the campsite at Dol Llys Farm in Llanidloes was excellent... and the nice lad there loaned me an air mattress because I had forgotten ours... and it was far more comfortable than the bed in the Red Lion haha!

I know worse things can happen in life but I had to have my rant after the way we were treated at the Red Lion!!

PS: this B&B looks NOTHING like the photo shown above!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Mike C
I am sorry but this is coming from a man who threw his keys at the 65 year old Landlady, was rude to every member of staff, ate ALL of his breakfast but still complained and, had he waited, would have received a refund because he was unhappy. Well, unhappy was not the word but I am trying to be polite here. We do offer bed & breakfast in an en- suite room, with free tea, coffee & biscuits, free shower gel & shampoo in the rooms. The breakfast consists of a choice of cereals, fruit AND either a continental or full English breakfast....all for £30!! What planet do you come from if you think that is bad value?? Actually, don't answer that. The rooms do need updating but we are waiting for CADW to put through our planning application to get the front done up ( hence the picture being different) and do not want to update until this is done. As for the carpet, we had it ripped by someone and it costs £3000 to do - this happened just after we had had it. We are replacing it, but as I have said, this will be done in due course. And the place is not dirty at all - environmental health just gave us 4 stars for our cleanliness etc. judge for yourselves people.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

bank holiday monday just gone, on our way back home, we stopped at thisl pub for a meal. The pub was very busy when we walked in. on ordering our food we were told by the bar staff that there would be a wait for our food as it was so busy. we were glad when the food arrived quicker than we expected. our steaks tasted good as had been cooked to our request. we also found the kids meals adequately sized which suited our children. we would definitely eat here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jayne r
Thank you so much for your positive review. I do so hope you can join us here again. Kelly