“Excellence in the face of jealousy”
Review of Red Lion Hotel

Red Lion Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llanidloes
Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Llanidloes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2013

A thousand monkeys working at a thousand type writers for one thousand years could not begin to explain how spectacular this place is. From the god like staff to the Michelin star worthy food this humble Hotel has it all. It prospers where others fail.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Bixlar

Reviewed 14 August 2013

A group of us stayed here for my partners 40th birthday on the 13th July and our stay here was more than adequate. We had a brilliant weekend. The rooms were clean and comfortable and well worth the money. It was very busy when we were there as it was Llandiloes carnival and the weather was fantastic so everybody was out! It was quite noisy as our room was above the pub and overlooking the street but this didn't bother us as we were partying too and we still had a good nights sleep. The staff were friendly and helpful and we had a huge cooked breakfast next morning served at the early time of 8am as they had to get the Sunday carvery on but it was worth it. Don't know what time they serve drinks to at night but after standing at the bar for 5 minutes or so we were told that the bar was closed.....so we went to bed and had a cup of tea!
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

If you want complete quiet DO NOT go to this b&b!! It is, after all above a pub and a very lively pub at that. The people who work there are very friendly but not in your face, rooms are clean and tidy and prices are reasonable. The food was more than adequate.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Probably not the place to go to for a special occasion however if you just want a quick, tasty Sunday lunch then this cannot be beaten and represents incredible value at just £5 for adults and £4 for children. They offer a Nut Wellington and Veggie gravy if requested. Meat eaters in our group said the quality of the meat was excellent. Arrive early to avoid the queues as this is very popular with locals.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
ChappieUk, Public Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for your positive review. We do try to offer the best possible Carvery for the price and we pride ourselves on the fact that we have many returning customers week after week. 165 last Sunday to be exact! And having a lot of vegetarian customers, we like to cater well for them also. Kelly. PS we do have many groups that come here for special occasions. We have catered for weddings, anniversaries, birthdays etc etc - we put extra special effort into making it look as good as possible for each individual occasion...just saying ; )

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed here for three nights, the hotel has been redecorated and is ok, but a little noisy with the bar directly below. Our booking was messed up though and two of us had to sleep it he same room despite booking separately.

As for the restuarant, I would never recommend it to anyone. First night, ordered food then waited 1 hour then were shown into the EMPTY restaurant and asked what we wanted to eat!
Second night, exactly the same except we were served our food and then told one of the items was not available. Then given frozen (literally) potatoes. The restuarant was practically empty.
Third we all ordered lasagne and then an hour later were told there was none available.

If it had been my choice we would not have gone back after the first night.

AVOID.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Julian S

I need to respond to this in the most polite way I can, it will be hard. Firstly, a lot of you did not stay here and I feel, after speaking to the staff that night, that you were one of the people staying elsewhere - despite what you say. You were in a very large group and were asked to order your meals that morning - you did not do this. You were called to the restaurant when your food was ready, which is a practice we always use. Food runs out - it happens. Lasagne is a very popular choice and, had you ordered it in the morning when you said you would, it would have been available. We also had other large groups eating that night and they had ordered first - you had to wait. The staff can only work as fast as they can - we put quality first & timing second. Again, had you ordered when you said you would, the food would have been ready when you wanted to eat. Lastly, all of your group were asked the next morning if their stay was alright - they all said they had had a great stay, most thanking us very much, so.....if you did stay, why did you say nothing then and instead write it on here?? Kelly

Reviewed 11 May 2013

The rooms were OK, comfy beds and all amenities you would expect for the price, although the remote for the TV didn't work. I needed a really good nights sleep having ridden there from Shrewsbury but the noise from downstairs was very loud and made sleep impossible. THe pub has pumping music until about 01:30. The staff were nice and friendly and helped us store the bikes.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Thanks for your review. I'm afraid that, yes, we do have the bar open until around 1am on a Saturday night as we are a pub also. I cannot do much about this I'm afraid but we do warn about it on here and on our website. Also, the noise from the other pubs on the street is well out of our control and they can be just as bad. As for the television remote - they all work, it's just that some people fail to read the instructions provided as to how to turn the television on successfully. We have tried it since reading this review and it worked fine. Thank you, Kelly

Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

Having read a negative review below, I think some people either trump higher than their own fundament or simply enjoy being bilious.

I've stayed at the Lion numerous times over the years and have never been left wanting. The most recent stay was a single night 29th March.

I booked the room at the shortest possible notice (about eight p.m. on the night of my stay) and from the off the demeanour of the staff was as pleasant as anyone without a giant ego could wish for.

After a very hard day I was exhausted and in need of a comfortable bed and a warm room. Both wishes were fulfilled admirably. Sure there was noise from the bar below and it carried on until I fell asleep but I used that secret invention obviously not known by some - earplugs.

After the kip I needed, I polished of the giant cooked breakfast and about a gallon of tea and went on my way feeling a good deal better than the night before.

The rooms and corridors upstairs are spotless and pub downstairs is (wait for it) a PUB. I wouldn't want to perform open-heart-surgery in it, but neither will I need a wash after sitting in it for a few jars.

If you want a cheap , no frills place to get your head down after traversing the hills I don't think you can go far wrong. If you want a boutique fluff-fest and your sense of worth massaging... you're odd.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you very much for your positive review. I found it very pleasing to read and it's nice to give the staff some good news. Thanks again, Kelly