“A unique experience”

Ranked #1 of 1 Blanchland B&B and Inns
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“A unique experience”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

As with any hotel, there was the odd niggle here and there (eg. mixed up room service order) but in terms of the big picture, this is a very special hotel. The hotel, as well as the village around it, oozes character and ambiance, history and intrigue. The staff could not do enough to please, nothing was too much trouble; Kenny was happy to take us fishing in the local river, Angela (our waitress at breakfast) provided us with plenty of useful local knowledge; chef Simon devised an imaginative vegetarian dish for my wife and a well-received dinner for our very particular 8 year old son. Food was faultless and served in an elegant dinning room overlooking the garden and the church next door. The room was tastefully done, with various unexpected goodies; Hypnos bed, feather toppers, pillows and duvets etc. Very attentive staff, great attention to detail (such as useful the daily flyer telling you what's on where). I hope they let us know when they get the giant spit roast going in the banqueting room! This is a place to come and relax and if you can avoid letting small lapses cloud your judgement, you will have a memorable experience that you will want to repeat.

2 Thank Bllywhzz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed for one night on the 14th May in the suite and it was fantastic. Had evening meal in the restaurant which was delicious and all the staff were friendly and welcoming.

We will definitely be coming back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Durham
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Our son's wedding reception was held here and we stayed overnight. The recently renovated rooms are all tastefully decorated and finished to a very high quality. Food was delicious, drinks reasonably priced and all aspects of the service were excellent. I know that the help given to my son and new daughter-in-law as they planned their wedding was invaluable, and the attention to detail given by the staff was noticeable. Blanchland is a lovely village with excellent walking on the doorstep. They are obviously expecting walkers as guests and whatever the weather those log fires will be very welcoming. We will be returning to enjoy this lovely hotel again.

1 Thank Susan E
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had heard some good and bad things about the Crewe since it reopened but as chance happened, due to a family crisis we needed to have a meal close to home so I booked a table in the Restaurant.

If you want a cheap meal then the Crewe is not for you but if you want a very classy dining experience then it is just the place.

We were seated on time. The service was very good. Not being a fish person, a 70s Prawn cocktail was my starter choice. It was fab. Not at all bland and actually quite spicy. A bit of an improvement on Abigail's Party!

My Wife had a beetroot salad which was exciting (her words) and my Step daughter who has dined at Gordon's said her Prawn cocktail was the best she had had.

Having recently dined at the Jesmond Dene Hotel in Newcastle, I have to say the Crewe beat it for quality.

For mains both my daughter and I had steaks - her Rib eye was so large she couldnt finish it and the Crewe helpfully provided foil so Ben the dog benefitted from being left alone!

My sirloin was perfectly cooked and the chips onion rings etc were perfect. Best chips ever.

My Wife had Fish which she said was beautiful.

We also had a couple of bottles of a more than acceptable Spanish white wine chosen by the daughter which was well chilled and lovely.

My Wife an inveterate pudding fanatic has a lemon based pudding which was based on some Seaside plant but was gorgeous.

As a Blanchland resident, we had awaited the opening of the Hotel (whose rooms are stunning by the way) and we were not disappointed.

Fabulous place and a Hotel 'fit' to add to the Jewel in the Crown of the village of Blanchland in the County of Northumberland.

The staff were polite, knowledgeable and very good; the food was great and the atmosphere in the Restaurant convivial and generous.

We had a great time. Only quibble was paying extra for a very poor portion of courgettes as a side dish.

Room Tip: The rooms are simply beautiful. Ignore the Swimming pool reference because there isnt one! Over enth...
1 Thank Chris C
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Beautiful setting and great first impression but badly let down by long wait for bird sized portion of food. Waitress was cold and careless. My husband's food only arrived after the rest of our party had finished but instead of offering it for free or offer extra drinks we were actually overcharged for it! The chef needs to try surviving on 4 cubes of beetroot, a nugget of cheese and two walnuts all afternoon. Where was the bread? I could have stomached the prices if there had been a realistic amount of food for 'lunch' rather than a cocktail party snack. It took longer to read the menu than to eat the food! All very tasty but where was the love? Absolutely shocking for such a high end venue to treat customers this way. Left feeling really let down. So sad to see this historic place so lacking in spirit and north country warmth.

6 Thank Sara H
Consett
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you wish a country retreat this is the place, quiet and restful sums this location. Not so far from Newcastle or main roads it sits in a valley near the Derwent Reservoir with several Picnic spots near by. Fishing and shooting can be enjoyed in the local along with many country walks.
This place is under new management and has just reopened after renovation of the accommodation. The actual inn part to me looked much unchanged, my last visit was about 20 years ago and I was impressed with the accommodation which has been tastefully renovated. I stayed in the Blackthorn Suite with the original stone fire place now with a wood burning stove very cosy, sleeping quarters on the floor above.
At the time of my stay (two Nights) we had sunshine and the accommodation is a sun trap. Guests enter the main block by a side door through a boot room so it is ideally suited to walkers or outdoor types.
Restaurant was good for breakfast and dinner had a varied menu, quite adventurous for this area.
Main building has vaulted ceilings and reputed to be Haunted by an old lady, don't worry no chains rattling. Gardens can be used for food or drink and the restaurant has also been recently been redecorated.
Staff are small but friendly and the rooms spotless with a turn down service.
I actually live locally and spent the time there as my house was being re-wired, the dust got me down but was disappointed to leave as it was so comfortable, would liked to have spent more time there and rambled down some of the tracks. Did not ask if it was Dog friendly but if so that would be a good bonus.
Price I paid was including dinner and was reasonable considering the comfort, would look forward to another stay if I can find the excuse.

Room Tip: Have not viewed the rooms but the Suite is highly recommended
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I came here twenty years ago..........three kids later and a few pounds heavier (me not her!) we returned for an overnight stay and dinner. We had a champion room which was very comfortable, cosy and stylish. Our afternoon was spent in front of a log fire sampling the excellent ales from the bar; Dinner in the dining room was also enjoyable and the food was good however I would of preferred more game and seafood on a menu which my wife and I thought was limited and more gastro pub than fine dining (this is shooting - fishing country after all). Our breakfast was superb.
From the second we arrived all staff at the Lord Crewe were first class; Friendly, welcoming, attentive and knowledgeable. All in all this is a lovely place to stay, with a warm north east welcome in a pretty village set among stunning scenery..........We wont be waiting another twenty years to come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blanchland
Langley Castle Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bamburgh
Slaley Hall
Slaley Hall
#1 of 1 in Slaley

Been to Lord Crewe Arms, Blanchland? Share your experiences!