“Fantastic wall and drift diving”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bunaken Island
Living Colours Dive Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bunaken Island
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My elder son Varun and I stayed for 5 nights (from May 6th till 11th) at the Living colors dive resort. Pick up and drop off service from Manado airport was good. Visa on arrival at Manado was easy.

Living colors has 3 levels.
There is a small beach hidden behind mangroves; dive centre and “safety stop”, the bar, is on level 1.
After climbing 70 odd slippery steps one reaches level 2, where restaurant is located.
Individual bungalows are a few meters up on level 3.

It rained on most days in the evening, and restaurant & rooms were full of lizards and bugs sitting on beams and ceiling. Bugs used to drop on table from time to time. Probably nothing much can be done about them, as it is a rain forest and effectively their territory. But it was uncomfortable. Rooms were made of wood and there were dark corners. Big water bottle was provided in every room and there were plenty of charging points. 24 hrs electricity was generated by resort’s Diesel generators. It must be expensive to provide such a facility in a jungle.

Dive centre was well stocked, there were 3 power boats to take customers to various dive sites. Jr. staff carried equipment from boat to dive centre and back, and we got exactly same equipment, BCD, wet suite, fins, every day. It was a nice. 2 German make Bauer kompressoren were there. Air tanks and quality of air was very good. On many occasions I found my tank with 260 bar pressure!! Ali, our dive instructor is a lovey human being. It is a pleasure to spend time with him. He makes quality bread which was served every day for breakfast. It was really delicious. I think it is his hobby.

We visited 8 sites in 4 days. Most dive sites are 8-10 min away by speed boat. . The most memorable were Sachiko’s point, Lekuan I and molas whip wreck near manado (30 min away). Bunaken walls were magnificent, sheer vertical drops with infinite varieties of corals and fish. Mild currents used to take us away allowing us to view the beauty of nature. We saw a huge turtle at Lekuan I; it had taken shelter in wall cave. Visibility was excellent, 30+ water was clean. Sea was calm. Diving in Bunaken is AMAZING !! There is a coral reef around this tiny island and drop starts about 100+ meter from shore. Good for snorkelling too.

Resort charges everything in Euros. Bunaken village is 45 min away, and the walk is thru jungle and small road. Most residents of Bunaken are Christians and Beer and Pork was available. There is a nice church there. Living colors is totally isolated in jungle and it gets boring in the evening. Owners, Mia and Jackko are nice individuals. Internet is Euro 15 per bungalow irrespective of number of devices. And it worked well most of the time. Restaurant offered buffet and it was good. Beer was Euro 3.

If diving is your objective to visit Bunaken, I will recommend Living Colors. I am told 2 fish dive resport is also good, a bit nearer to the village.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank anilPuneIndia
There are newer reviews for Living Colours Dive Resort

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Me and my husband stayed 4 days at Living Colours for diving in Bunaken and we enjoyed it. The dive center is good, the food is great, everything is very fresh and well prepared.

The rooms are good, it has a good size and it is well furnished, but there are a lot of bugs inside the room because there are some wood details in the windows that allow bugs to pass easily. That is the only point that I didn't like very much.

The diving in Bunaken is great! Visibility is +30m and the coral in the wall is very healthy. There are some points with dead coral, but it is in a good condition. I don't recommend Bunaken for someone that doesn't dive or snorkell because it is the only thing you can do!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Living Colours is nice, it's quiet, it's secluded, the food is good but 50 euro per person just feels as if they are taking the micky.

for so much money (in rural SE Asia) i expect table service and actual dessert, just a dry biscuit from the cookie jar.
i expect a good, big, comfortable bed, not a sagging, smallish double
i expect the room to be clean and well-designed, not bedclothes smelly of mold, stained mosquito nets and mis-matched furniture

These things would be no trouble at all if the price was lower. as it is, don't go there unless you enjoy the feeling of being ripped off

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Grazonb
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Hi!

I stayed 2 weeks with a friend of mine in the Living Colours Diver Resort and I have to admit it is one of the best diving experiences I have ever had! I don't have anything to complain about, on the contrary! The service is excellent, be it diving, accommodation, food, sauna...Wonderful dive sites, excellent dive master and instructors (thanks Iwan and Annika), service before and after diving is better than anywhere else. And we only 2 divers per dive master which is really luxury. No crowds anywhere!

Staying in a bungalow was very nice and you don't really need A/C. The fans are enough and it is also healthier not to have A/C.

The food is delicious with so many different dishes during 2 weeks. I don't think there was anything twice during the time I spent there.

The Safety Stop is a nice and cool bar with great cold beverages. Thank you Michael for the good service there!

And what makes a holiday perfect for a Finn? Well, being able to go to sauna. Imagine being in the tropics on a hill looking down at the sea enjoying a nice cold beer after sauna. The sauna is absolutely the best outside Finland!! Thank you Ali for being the saunamestari!

Thank you all for making the stay so enjoyable and relaxing! It is truly a place where you don't have to worry about anything....Just relax and enjoy the good service and hospitality!

We will be back one day....

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jarkelo
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed 6 nights in Living Colours at November 2011. We fell in love the place and we can't wait to get back there. Everything was perfect; staff, diving, food, atmosphere..We have found our paradise..

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Sanna S
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Was there in august last year for 12 days as part of a diving holiday, and although I found the experience good I left with the feeling that there is defenitely some space for improvement.
The accomodation is nice, consisting of wooden bungalows scattered on a green and well kept sloaped ground. There is no aircon, but in my opinion it's not needed because the position is such that they will benefit from enough breeze to ensure an adequate temperature (natural aircon...). Would be perfect if the housekeeping was a bit more on their toes (cleaning would never pass a barrack inspection...) and the guests could work out from day 1 what to do to obtain hot water from the gas burner, without it being scolding hot or freezing cold. All bungalows have different types of mosquito repellent, so you don't need to bring any from home.
The restaurant is on the hillside with a nice view and common tables, excellent for socializing and sharing experience with other guests. The food was always excellent, plentyfull and tasty, with a special mention for the breakfast where you could even find freshbaked bread!
But also here staff need to improve a bit... not guests job to make them notice fridge is lacking beverages (or walk down to the bar to get what they want), and they seemed to be in a really hurry to leave after lunch/dinner, leaving tables uncleaned and not making sure to leave clean glasses enough for coffee/tea. Speaking about coffee, they have local powder coffee which is undrinkcable. If you are a coffee lover, I reccomand you bring your own nescafe.
The diving operation is runned at satisfactory level, with nice good local wooden boats. Since they also bring snorkellers on board, some times they can be a bit crowded. The staff take care of all your equipment, loading it, setting it up, unloading and rinsing it. You practically only need to check it and... dive.
Being a diving instructor myself with more than 20 years of experince and several thousend dives done, I found it a bit annoying that they assign you a guide no matter what and I didn't always agreed with the chooses of how to do the dives. Will much prefer to do my dives with my buddy and not somebody else dive, but in full honesty guides were ok and very good spotters.
Only real minus point of the whole holiday was the late departure time, which results in a real rush if you want to make 3 dives a day, as was my original plan. The boat leave at 8.30 which in reality means 9 am... Most day I was back at lunch at 13.30/13.45 and departure time for the afternoon dive was scheduled for 14.30... too short a break. As result I only managed to do two daily dives. Since they have boats enough, it would be usefull (and better business for them...) if they could provide the guest with the option of an earlier (7.30?) departure. Most guest showed up at breakfast at 7.00 anyway.
Also be aware that diving staff assign you automatically on a boat which I found a bit patronizing, so check if the scheduled dives for your assigned boat is what you will prefer to do. If not you will need to insist on changing to another boat if you prefer its destination, and when I say insist I really mean "insist" since they were not particolary keen on satisfying you on this point.
Another thing they should seriously consider is providing nitrox for the guest requiring it. In 2012 I consider it a "must have" for any diving operation.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank MLS1966
Reviewed 12 January 2013

My husband and I stayed here as a treat for the finale of our month long Sulawesi trip and we left a little disappointed. Underwater activities aside, we felt compared to all our previous accommodation it unfortunately wasn't worth the money. I can understand why 'fly in fly out' travellers would be satisfied, it is professionally run and the diving instructor we had was great. We decided to leave a day early at short notice and transport was arranged for us without any fuss which we appreciated.
Down sides, the little beach was always full of rubbish which when questioned, was too much work to clean everyday as it just keeps coming. The food was tasty but went cold really quickly as there is only a few tealight burners keeping the trays warm. I understand there are a few mouths to feed but we expected a bit extra from the food. The bungalow was huge but almost empty, the running water was either cold or roasting hot. Our other problem was all the little add ons. Transfer is expensive, and surely you can have internet included if you pay 50 euro pp a night?
So it all came down to the price unfortunately, we expected more for our buck. If I hadn't been across Sulawesi I would probably be none the wiser - for diving holidays only, you will be satisfied, longer term travellers, probably not the place... Just thought I would share the advice I wish I had!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
#5 of 16 in Bunaken Island
Siladen Resort & Spa
Siladen Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Siladen Island

Been to Living Colours Dive Resort? Share your experiences!