“Perfect resort and excellent diving”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bunaken Island
Living Colours Dive Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bunaken Island
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Thank you very much to Mia and her team for excellent diving holidays!

We enjoyed every part of it: beautiful bungalows (where you can feel the very feminine Nordic touch of Mia in curtains and small details), beautiful terrace which has very comfy sofa and sun bed, very relaxed Safety Stop bar, very very tasty meals, smooth and friendly service, including pick up from Manado etc.

And diving is excellent as well. Beautiful steep coral walls with a lot of small fish and turtles at almost every dive. I expected more big stuff (we only saw a few White Tips) but I believe it is seasonal. We were not lucky, but our fellow American divers even saw a dunong during snorkeling at house reef.

Especially nice are night dives. I really have to agree to the Resort management that they might be the best in the world. You have a night dive at a steep wall, with occasional currents (which sometimes can get quite strong) and with different creatures at every kick: different kinds of crabs, including my favourite Sponge Crabs, Mantis Shrimps, huge Nudibranches, sleaping turtles, Scorpionfishes and many other creatures which I am not knolegable enough to name.

Big thank you to the dive guides - their English is very good and they really care about you and do their best to make you happy.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 January 2014

This place is a total hideaway. When you are getting closer by boat you really cannot see the place from the sea until you are really near and can see a little opening. Behind the mangroves is a hidden gem. I loved the quietness of the resort and the scenery from the "restaurant".

My partner and I spent 10 nice days eating, diving and talking with the other guests. If you appreciate a relaxed atmosphere where things are not taken too seriously this is your choice. The food consists of among other things many shades of chicken. Fish dishes were always fresh and tasty. Many thanks to the resort's great cooks.

The bungalow was cleaned very well every day. I must though say that if you cannot stand big spiders, geckos, worms (kaki seribu), lizzies and insects this is really not your place to stay. This is not about the resort, it is about the nature in this part of the world.

Diving around the island is good. Nice walls, turtles, white tip sharks, colourful fishes and corals and if you are lucky dugongs are here to make your divings really nice. Divemasters are locals and they should improve their english, but with big smiles they create a good and relaxed atmosphere even if they do not keep a proper briefing before diving.

We had such a nice holiday here with people who have a great sense of humor. Thank you so much!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed in LC for 13 nights in bungalow 5. The bungalows are in the jungle so you can expect that not everything is luxorious. Shower is gas heated so it's either hot or cold. And because the bungalows are in jungle there are sometimes unwanted visitors during the night (bugs, centipedes and crabs).

It is very quiet there that it took me couple of days to adjust (I live in busy and noisy street). I had to put on both of the cooling fans in my bungalow to make some noise so I could get some sleep. Sometimes there were some weird noises coming inside the bungalow: gekko trying to kill a grasshopper, gekko stuck inside a night stand drawer, crab knocking over a toilet brush or a crab trying to get outside between ceiling and wall boards.

I did 28 dives with LC. Most of them were wall dives around Bunaken, but also couple of muck dives, a wreck dive and a day trip to Bangka islands. My favourites were the Bangka pinnacle, the wreck, the muck near the wreck and leguan 2. Least favourite was the Fukui. Most of the dives were around 60 minutes. The longest one was 90 minutes.

Thanks to Mia, Heini, Ali, Juliet, Nelwan (too bad he left), Vikli (remember the buddy check), Iwan, Freddy, the boat crew and the cleaning lady.

Also thanks for the birthday cake. It was very delicious.

..dive same same but different...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed in Living Colours for 8 days in November 2013. The resort was very nice and cosy, staff was friendly and professional, food was good and diving easy and comfortable. There are about 10 bungalows, and we were pleased with ours. It is not a luxury one, but very cosy and comfortable. We loved sitting on a couch on our own terrace and reading or watching our photos of the day. The only complaint is that there is no mosquito nets in the windows, so you will get bugs inside the bungalow, but not too much, and there is a mosquito net around the bed.

The diving is made easy and comfortable. The staff will take care of your equipment, even put your set together and rinse them afterwards, so you only need to go to the boat on time and not worry about carrying anything yourself. There are maximum 4 divers / DM (guide), so not too big group, but typically there are other boats at the dive sites as well, so you will see a lot of divers underwater. The diving is mostly wall diving, which is very nice and beautiful. There are also "coral garden" type of sites, which are imo even more beautiful.

If the place is full or too expensive for your tastel there is a resort called Lorense right next to Living Colours, and you can stay there but dive with Living Colours.

Overall we loved our stay and diving there, and would definitely go back there and recommend this to everybody who like diving!!

Room Tip: There is a family bungalow with more room than the other bungalows
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IiIjankukka
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed with Living Colours for 9 days for diving in Bunaken marine park and had great time! The resort itself is located in beautiful setting and all facilities are cosy and well kept. The bungalows have large patios for chilling out between the dives and the beds are comfy and equipped with mosquito nets.

Diving is good in Bunaken. Some of the dive sites are quite crowded at times but you can still see a lot and corals are beautiful and in good condition. Most dives are wall dives so in case you don't like that Bunaken is maybe not your place. The best part is, however, the service level in Living Colours. You don't even have to touch your gear between the dives - the crew brings everything to the boat and takes care of cleaning and drying after the dives so you can focus on the essential, relaxing in the Safety Stop bar over a beer ;)

All in all we had great time and would go back any time!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I visited Living Colours in June 2013, during my 5.5 month sabbatical around South East Asia for 11 days in total. I cannot find anything negative about the place, it was indeed the highlight of my whole trip in all aspects!

The owner Mia was very professional and explained how LC operates - with all inclusive meals, this is the perfect resort for a solo traveller. Dining area consists of 2 large dining tables plus some smaller tables, so it is easy to talk with all travellers during common meal times and to share pictures and videos from previous dives. Heini and Al were the perfect resort managers, with great positive attitudes and always in a good mood, never too tired to join you for a quick beer at waterside Safetystop bar :)

The rooms were spacious, with mosquito nets covering the whole bed, floor-standing fan that you could move around te room or even to the veranda if you wanted to chill in your hammock. Good-sized bathroom with western shower (hot/cold) and toilet. The room was kept very clean, towels changed when needed and mosquito repellent provided as spray and smoke, which was quite enough to keep the buggers out during night-time. No in-room safety box, but you can give your valuables to the owner for safe-keeping in their office safe.

And the diving - what can I add to all these great reviews? Simply superb. Great muck sites with lots of seahorse and nudies, turtles, octopus, boxfish, moray eels, frog fish etc. To name a few. My only "disappointment" was that I missed out on seeing a dugong family, that was spotted only 5 days after I left Bunaken! The dives were reasonably priced, and they also added some special boat trips such as dolphin tour to the itinary during my stay. Great fun, even got to see one under water :)

I would definitely recommend Living Colours to any travellers who are keen to have a great diving vacation! I am already going back to LC this December for another 9 days; can't wait to see everyone again and to get back underwater!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank GreatAdventure2013
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Two years ago we stayed at the Living Colours Dive Resort for the first time. We were very happy to come back, this year, for an 11 day stay. Not so much had changed:
- the diving and snorkeling was still the best and so were the staff on the boats. One gets very spoiled here as a diver. My friend had had a medical treatment, and he did not once have to lift his tank into the boat after diving: was always helped.
- the staff helped my friend with photography, and his results - with a photo lamp, not a strobe - were stunning. Surf to [Zenfolio] and [Sander van Hulsenbeek] and you can find out.
- the diving spots are still superb, but on the inner side of the boomerang shaped island, the plastic-bags - refuse problem (coming from Manado) looked worse than 2 years ago.Shame on the local governments!
- the restaurant staff was still in total swing and the food was superb and varied everyday. As I said two years ago, I have an Indonesian background so I can know :)
- nice new touches in the rooms: one's own water-cooler, also with hot water for tea and one fan per bed.
the wifi - quite a feat they even had it two years ago - had much improved. But it is satellite based and not much good during a rainstorm :)
- the bar now has wine - order in time - and it is not bad at all.
- the sauna is for aficionado's, but what a start for an evening!
Rumour has it this is the best dive setup on the island, and we are not surprised it is. Committed, safe, confident and friendly, a pleasure to be with. If the eye is critical, a little new varnish here and there in the resort would be pleasing, but we know this is a brutal climate.
Excellent! That is our opinion!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 16 in Bunaken Island
Siladen Resort & Spa
Siladen Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Siladen Island

Been to Living Colours Dive Resort? Share your experiences!