All reviews a small swimming pool low tide garden cottage great dive spots other guests buffet style small resort fish hot water wi fi coral reef stayed nights dietary requirements prices are very reasonable beach bungalow western food every meal
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Highly recommended. I think it is the best place at Bunaken. Great small resort with lovely bungalowes and cosy swimminpool. Food delicious and good variety, they even prepare special vegetarian food for my husband, Lovely and romantic spa. Great place to meet and talk with other travelers as we could share tables during meals. Diving center is very professional with great staff. I hope to be back there one day and sure i will recommend to all my friends,

Room tip: All bungalows are great.
Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Anna D
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Great hotel, very good food, the staff is very helpful and bungalows are nice and well equiped.
We spent there 5 nights and we passed our padi advanced level: everything was very well organized and our dive instructor was so helpful. We really appreciated diving with him.

The swimming pool is very cosy and fresher than the sea. As other comments said, there is no beach in bunaken but snorkeling is excellent. You can enjoy chilling with all the accommodation of the hotel but not on the beach.

Nevertheless, there is no intimity during the meals as people have to sit with other ones. This is fun and appreciated by some persons, but we, as our unique holidays during the year, would have appreciate to have moments by ourselves in a table for two. We asked for that the last day and it wasn't a problem and we really enjoy a romantic diner near to the swimming pool and in front of the beach.

Date of stay: August 2013
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Casilda M
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Highly recommended! Comfortable spacious bungalow with nice quality finishes, comfortable bed and lovely bathrooms.
Great food, good variety, plenty of it too!
Lovely ambience, very relaxed, good to meet other travellers.
Excellent diving, with very good dive master, snorkelling from the hotel was amazing, water 31 degrees, like a hot bath!
Recommend the massage, in a lovely relaxing environment.
Very pleasant staff.
Overall good value and recommended.

Room tip: Managed without a/c, good sea breeze and fan!
Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank theporsche911
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Great location, spacious clean bungalow, lovely relaxing spa, ok food (Asian food, not great variety but great 3pm cake!), friendly staff and owners.
Amazing house reef just in front of the resort, we went snorkeling every day and it was great at each time.
Diving was also wonderful and the dive masters were very nice.
Would definitely suggest to everyone!

Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank S_Leo_S_Leo
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The other reviews described the positives of the Village Bunaken perfectly: friendly and welcoming owners and staff, good fun swapping travel stories with fellow travelers at the communal table at meal times, and an organized dive team who handle all your equipment with care and is attentive to your dive needs. e.g. I did my first ten dives after open-water certification here and was assigned my own personal divemaster because I was a beginner. The other divers during my stay were all much more advanced.

All in all, I had a great stay at the Village Bunaken, and enjoyed the underwater scenery tremendously. I read somewhere that 70% of the fish species in the Indo-Pacific Ocean can be found in Bunaken, and it looks as though you can see all of them just snorkeling the house reef!

Now, onto the "room for improvement" portion of my review...

To fellow travelers with clean-freak tendencies like me, this section is for you:
- Bring your own microfiber/quick-dry towels (you are only provided with 1 towel for bathing, and 1 for the pool; they are changed every 3 days or so, and can get smelly very quickly, since nothing really dries with the humidity)
- Since you're not allowed to flush toilet paper, there is a bin lined with a plastic bag (bag changed daily) where you can deposit your soiled toilet paper. Recommendation to owners: please purchase bins with lids for hygiene purposes. Recommendation to fellow germophobic travelers: bring extra sanitary bags so that you can tie up your soiled toilet paper after each use.
- Bring a scented candle as the bathroom will smell bad from time to time. Not sure if this is from the brackish water, from when I didn't flush well enough, from the open bin/waste-basket containing soiled toilet paper, or from some combination of the above. The resort did provide an air-freshener diffuser in the bathroom, but it didn't really help.
- Check after you flush. Since the toilets are extremely low flow, it might take more than one flush for everything to go down.
- Expect ultra ultra low-flow showers; bring your own wash cloth to help speed up the rinsing process. It took me 3x as long to shower because so little water comes out of the shower-head. I like that they're trying to save water, but this was a bit too low-flow. I ended up filling up mini buckets of water from the sink to pour over myself, which ends up wasting more water. (Sorry, mother earth!)
- Pack quick-dry everything. Laundry might never dry unless you place it under direct sunlight.
- It's the tropics. Your reading lamp might be rusty.

Don't let any of the above keep you from staying at the Village Bunaken! It's really great! These are just some of the realities of island living. And as long as you're prepared, you'll be fine :)

Other misc. tips:
- Tea drinkers, bring your own tea bags. The same kind of black tea gets boring after a few days.
- Coffee drinkers, bring your own coffee packets if you don't like nescafe.
- Bring your own surface-interval snacks if you need something other than biscuits/crackers, fresh-cut fruits, tea, coffee, and water.
- If you're prone to mosquito bites, bring lots and lots of repellant, and apply generously each time before leaving your room. Plug-ins were provided in the room and worked well; but be vigilant outdoors.
- Buy some water at the airport after you land in case you get thirsty between the airport and Bunaken.
- Wear easy-dry water shoes and shorts on arrival/departure in case of low tide. You might have to wade through mangroves to get to your boat. It's great fun, actually, but not if you're wearing shoes with socks. When I left around 10:30/11 a.m. on the boat to Manado, I waded through water that came up to about mid-thigh.
- Bring your own travel blanket and pillow if you need more than just one pillow or one sheet to sleep.

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
7  Thank SharksAreFriends
bunakenvillage, Owner at The Village Bunaken, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Thank you for your compliments and your tips on how to improve the Village Bunaken and make it an even better place. We are happy to know you had a good time at the Village Bunaken and we gladly welcome you back to see our improvements.

Some things we have already changed since your visit:
- We have put lids on all bathroom bins.
- Single room toilets have been scheduled for replacement this year.
- We have repainted the slightly rusty bed lamp in the single room.
- We have scheduled placement of an exhaust fan in the single room bathrooms.

Some tips to travelers and visitors at the Village Bunaken
- Please communicate with us when there are problems and we will try to solve them.
- Warm water pump only works from 8.30 until 20.30, because of limited island electricity at night. The flow of water for the shower will be low when the pump is not on.
- We provide nescafe and local indonesian coffee for free.
- Extra blanket or pillow are available on request.