The Village Bunaken
US$36
  • Restaurant
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
Siladen Resort & Spa(Siladen Island)
  • Pool
Onong Resort(Manado)
Bahowo Lodge(Manado)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsa small swimming poollow tidegardens are lovelybeautiful coral and fishgarden cottagewelcoming ownersgreat dive spotsother guestsbuffet stylesmall resortone thing to noteother placeshot watera wonderful place to staywi fidelicious dishesdietary requirements
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The pictures are bang on. The owners (and daughter) are absolute gems… Angelina radiates warmth and happiness! Jochem has built some seriously rad custom fiberglass boats (that my husband and our other friend drooled over our entire stay!)… with 4 of us/2 couples, we had a dive boat to ourselves the entire time. I think there are 3-4 boats (?).. however, you can walk right out to some incredible coral and sea life right in front of the resort - a beautiful wall about 200-300m out.

Diving: We cant say enough about our DMs Salim and Rafi – beyond their skills (which wee top notch) they were both very helpful, friendly, and chat with you the night before to plan out your dive (in addition to detailed pre-dive briefings). They took excellent care of our gear as well. We were spoiled with rays, sharks, giant sea turtles.. to the most exquisite nudibranch and coral..

Food was excellent –truly appreciated them taking extra effort for my husband and I who are vegetarians. Loved that everyone can sit together.

Rooms: we opted for the beachfront huts – which are surprisingly massive and steps from the water. These rooms do not have a/c as there is a breeze from the ocean… we found it a bit hot (randomly still nights) but totally worth it.

Spa was fabulous – like a secret oasis, fantastic massage.

Also they have a curmudgeonly old dog, a hilarious puppy and 2 sweet, sleepy cats. Having them around absolutely made our stay feel more like home!!

This might be my longest post ever on TA!. If we can ever make the long haul from Canada again, we would be here in a heartbeat!! Best of luck Angelina, Jochem.. and the future little boss of yours! ☺

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Having come to Asia to dive the Phillipines for a month with Malaysian friends I had to quickly organise another trip - solo - so returning to walls of Bunaken was chosen. Resort had high reviews and I was lucky to get a booking the following week (place is full most nights). Small quality family run resort with great staff, very well presented (Balinese style) and good food at very reasonable rates. If you happy to dive (or snorkel) and relax in chilled environment you cant go wrong. Bonus of a couple of single rooms too so no single price loading if you can get into them. Set in mangroves no swimming beach but you not here to swim on beach (could on higher tides though). Actually I tempted to write a bad review so i can get in upon my return next year but owners deserve recognition for what they achieving here. Staying on Bunaken smart as no trips from mainland for dives so all just around corner or in front. Stayed in numerous places in Indo and Malaysia but this rates as one of my best stays. DMs are great and saw a lot of big and small.

Room Tip: If you two then beachfront prob best but garden rooms 30 secs away from water.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank OceaniaDiver
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My wife, 3 year old daughter and I spent 9 days at this wonderful little resort. The owners were very helpful and nice, especially towards our little daughter. She also enjoyed the pool, which also was nice for all of us, when we weren´t snorkelling. The ladies in the kitchen made very good, fresh and varied food. There is a coral shelf very close to the resort. You only have to swim 100 meters or so to get there. There is a nice village about 10 minutes walk away. We definitely want to come back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My partner and I had a fantastic week at the Village Bunaken. Lots of the resorts on the island are dedicated dive resorts but this one is fine for non-divers too, which we prefered as it's more laid-back.

The transfer from the airport was fairly smooth - there was a slight confusion over who was going to drive us from the airport to Manado port because our flight arrived early, but this was soon sorted out.

Jochem and Angelina greeted us with a very warm welcome. We booked a garden view bungalow because my partner wanted aircon (not really needed in my opinion - the weather is not overly hot and humid), which was clean and spacious. I read a previous comment that the water pressure in the shower was not great, but I found it to be fine.

The food was plentiful and varied. We also liked the low-key evening entertainment of improvised live music.

The staff are all very friendly although their English is limited.

We both had a massage at the spa which was very good.

The house reef is perfect for snorkelling. You have to swim a bit to get to it, but the water is crystal clear and the reef starts at less than 50cm depth at low tide, with an amazing variety of fish and corals.

The diving was relaxed and well organised, with most of the dive sites 5-20mins boat ride away. The dive team were fantastic. We were really spoiled in that they carried and set up all our gear between dives. We were offered coffee, snacks and the chance to sunbathe in between diving. Salim and Rafi, the two dive guides, briefed us well, ensured the dives were safe and were excellent spotters.

We originally booked the 5-day diving package, but we had so much fun we actually did 6 days of diving, 15 dives in total including a mandarin dive and a night dive which were both excellent. The reefs are very healthy and colourful, but bear in mind the majority of the sites are wall dives with strong currents at times. My favourite dive site was Lekuan I - the currents can be a bit hairy but I lost count of the number of turtles we saw. We got a bit bored with wall dives towards the end so the dive crew let us do 2 muck dives on the mainland for a bit of variety.

All in all we loved this resort and if we ever visit Bunaken again we will certainly go back there.

Room Tip: If you don't need aircon then go for a beach-front bungalow.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aliog
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a lovely resort and probably one of the better ones on the island. The owners and staff are very welcoming and I echo most of the positive comments recently posted.

I wanted to make a point that I had not read in the recent posts. This is one of the best dive centers we have used, we went with our own equipment and on the first day, the dive team collected it and looked after it from there on in, setting it up every day, cleaning it and returning it clean and dry on our last day ready to pack. The staff were professional and made the experience fun throughout, the boats (designed by the owner) are perfect for diving and luxurious compared to other dive boats on the island. Thanks to all the dive masters for making this great trip. Some of the boat crew even play instruments in the bar of an evening, this is a real treat.

If I I can offer any feedback, it would be great to see the resort make better use of fish and offer BBQ fish as an alternative to the stir fry/curries. Food on the whole is excellent however we would have loved to drop a few of the rice meals and replace with BBQ fish and salad.....

Thanks for a wonderful holiday, we will see you again.

Room Tip: Sea view - we stayed in room 3 however all 3 of the rooms appear well located.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple