“My name Hans Gert Broeder, also known as Papa Hans or Bunakenhans. I am a professional underwater photographer. I photog”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bunaken Island
Daniel's Resort aka Daniel's Homestay
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My name Hans Gert Broeder, also known as Papa Hans or Bunakenhans. I am a professional underwater photographer. I photograph on Bunaken for years, so 6-7 months annually. My base is always my favorite resort Daniel's Homestay. I feel happy and contented there . Many of my fotos I have to thank the excellent crew. What the dive guides discover and show is incredible. In this Hotel they have the best-value. There are 3 profuse meals, delicious, evening also usually meat or chicken in curry, not only fish, fish, fish as I got on the Togian. Even at breakfast, the excellent cooking-ladies offer also nasigoreng or pancake (That's not to be taken for granted in Indonesia), and not always egg and toast with marmalade. Added is always a small fruit salad, what more could you want? In the evening I recommend the soup, mother's style. Incredibly for a budget hotel. The cheap rooms are decorated according to simple but clean and the bed, mosquito net intact. There are also slightly more expensive, even aircon up, something for every taste. They are also family friendly. A few weeks ago a couple of Poland with 2 children (3 and 5 years) where here. Dad and Mom went diving and the little children where staying in the Boot.Die crew took care for them and teached the 5-year old snorkeling. I could and should also shoot pictures of them, hilarious and delicious-looking. Table tennis is also available here, also unique in Bunaken. Chess players are wanted. Not that the resort does everything 100% (times clamps the window or the door creaks, etc.) is understandable, it is not in a 4-5-star box and just .. in Indonesia .... Oh I would have completely forgot, the great garden, the BEST of the island, is also mentioned in the Lonely Planet praised. Have a nice day, greetings from Bunakenhans

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank bunakenhans

Reviewed 8 June 2013

My partner and I spent 4 days recently on Bunaken Island, off the north coast of Sulawesi. We chose Daniel's Resort/Homestay because of the economical cost and a few good reviews posted on Tripadvisor. While the location is wonderful, with great reef snorkeling right off their beach, unless you book in advance, tell them that you are DIVING several days and can be assured that their is no VIP group at the same time, I would advise you to go elsewhere.

We arrive on the afternoon boat and, after being registered, we were shown to our shoddy quarters (broken windows that could not be kept open for a breeze), we were summarily ignored. Attempts to ask about joining a dive trip to snorkel - as advertised - were met with an incredulous "No". The food was not enough for the people being served and for the first two days we were compelled to share food for four among six people, some of whom were famished after two dives. This did improve after I voiced concern, however, the behavior of the dive staff did not.

My partner wanted a refresher dive course. The dive master spoke with her, indicated a good possibility of going the next day and told her he would meet us at lunch. He didn't make an appearance until that evening, didn't offer an apology and only said he "was busy" with another group.

Thank goodness we met Jean-Pierre and Hans (I hope that I've remembered correctly), two regulars who gave us valuable information on where to snorkel and, in JPs case, let us join his boat for a morning.

I can't say how the experience differed for the large group of french divers who were there during our stay, but they seemed to be getting much more attention, bountiful meals and daily room cleaning, all denied us at Daniel's. And...lest I leave the impression that I'm hard to please, I'll be writing about other homestays in Indonesia, the great majority of which were superb!

Chip Scialfa
Calgary

Room Tip: Tell them you are diving.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Chip S
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We (a young couple) have had a lovely stay on this lovely island - it was one of the highlights on our journey round the world. Daniel's homestay did the best to make our stay a great experience. They have had organized a fairly priced pick-up from the airport (100,000 IDR, Daniel and his son have picked us up themselves) and droped us off at a hotel to spend the night (Celebes close to the habour). The next morning, they have picked us up again and we have taken a speed boat to the resort (200,000 IDR for the whole boat). We know that you can have it a little bit cheaper when you take a metered taxi from the airport and then, take the public ferry to Bunaken. But it would take you more time and bargaining power and you would need to walk from the village in Bunaken to Daniel's homestay (about 20 min), which can be exhausting in the heat. We thought it was quite comfortable this way as we have arrived at 9am and could spend the whole day in the resort.

We have taken the cheaper bungalow option which is 20,000 IDR per person, including breakfast, lunch and dinner and tea/coffee and water as much as you want (there are no restaurants on Bunaken). The bungalows have not been fancy but have all you need and in this wooden houses with outside bathrooms you get in holiday mood immediately. I think this is the best option for budget travelers and we have heart from other travellers that there are no cheaper places to stay on Bunaken (we could not check it though). We got upgraded to a better bungalow (25,000 IDR) as there have been loud construction work in the bungalow next to us. We have not asked for this and it was very nice of Daniel's to offer this. However, I am sure that all budget travellers will be happy with the cheapest option that I have described before.

We have been diving (there is a diving school in the resort) in this wonderful location (so many colorful fishes, turtels and a strong current) and the dive masters have been very nice and have giving us instructions. It was very professional. However, we have had to ask if they could bring the oxygen for emergency cases every time and they did. I have suggested to improve this (but it seems to be normal in Indonesia that there is no oxygen on board so do not be shy and just ask so they will bring it on board).

It is no place for beach holiday as there is no real beach on the whole island but it is excellent for snorkeling and diving. We have also seen dolphins and pilot wales.

In total, we would recommend Daniel's and would come back.

Room Tip: Take the cheapest bungalows (20,000 IDR per person) which are pretty and offer you all you need. The...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jumarei
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I didn't have a good experience here. The manager is a fraud, he will try to get money out of you in any single way ( telling you that the only available room is the deluxe, while that is not the case EVEN IF YOU'VE PRE-BOOKED). And the equipment of the diving center is very poor.

BUT: The rooms are clean and the food is good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Traveleroneonetwo
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We spent 2 nights at Daniel Homestay and dived with Immanuel diving center (located at Daniel Homestay).
We are pretty happy with the place, the staff, and the food for the 150,000 Rupees we spent. I would recommend it compare to other places more expensive which offer the same at the end of the day.
The bunaken island are recommended for diving. The island are not as beautiful as the Toggian. So go there only if you are keen diving.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the reception have good wifi reception while the other doesn't.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank popov66
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I can recommend this very nice Resort. Ive been there for 7 days with friends. I had a Standard Bungalow . It was very clean also the Garden. The food was terrific. Ive paid for 3 excellent Meals and Accomodation per Night 15 Euro. I enjoyed the Snorkeling direct from the beach and the cheap yourneys with the Diving Boat. They charged me only 5 Euro to go together with the diverrs 2 times a day. The Staff was always friendly. Other Types of this kind of Accomodation much more expensive on this Island. . This is the place to be for all Travellers who are would like to go snorkelling and stay in a cheap and clean place.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank frangipani E
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Two separate reviews: one for the resort (nice) and the other for the diving center (to avoid)

RESORT:
The resort is very nice: a dozen bungalows surrounded by lush greenery and a slice of beach stolen from the mangroves.
The bungalows are all equipped with bathroom and fan, but the deluxe has air conditioning.
Breakfast is Western-style, with fruit and toast or pancakes. Meals include rice, grilled fish or meat, tofu and vegetables.
Often in the evenings the resort staff rigs up a jam session in front of the beach with homemade instruments! The accommodation at Daniel's Resort is extremely nice.

DIVING CENTER:
Separate mention for the Immanuel Divers, diving center attached to Daniel's Resort.
The "divemasters" are local boys with very little experience, most of them have just the open water license, briefings are hasty and superficial and underwater guides do not seem to pay much attention to their customers.
But the real problem is Stephen, a french man that looks managing the dive shop.
He's quite rude and unfriendly, but I don't care about this.
What I saw is more more important.
A guy diving with this dive shop, after 3 days dive, in the evening began to feel pain in the joints and shoulder (likely if not obvious symptom of decompression sickness).
Stephen look at him and says in front of all the people: "Are you stupid? You wanna die?".
He took the boy and brought him to the office, asking him questions and checking the dive profile.
Left the office I asked the guy if Stephen had given him oxygen, but the guy said no.
I explained to the boy that in these cases it is URGENT to take oxygen, he is back in the office by Stephen twice, but Stephen has always diminished the problem by saying that there was no need of oxygen.
At the same time gave him the address of the hospital in Manado to go the next day (is it strange if he says that there's no problem!!!)
Me (divemaster with more than 1500 dives) an one instructor try to intervened and tried to speak to Stephen and asked him why he did not given oxygen, but Stephen was "too busy" to chat with two tourists and see us made ​​a sign with his head to tell us to wait.
Shortly after he disappeared.
We took the next day the boy to the hospital in Manado and, of course, had decompression sickness, aggravated by the fact that he was not promptly administered oxygen.
The boy had to start some cycle hyperbaric chamber, losing international flight back in Europe!

Stephen has proven very unprofessional and has put at risk the health of the boy, causing him to lose a lot of money and a return ticket.
ABSOLUTELY AVOID THIS DIVING CENTER!

Remember that in Bunaken is the rule of diving with the diving attached to your resort ... the choice is yours!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple