“awesome!!”

Bunaken Beach Resort
Sydney, Australia
“awesome!!”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

After looking on the trip advisor and lonely planet I was a bit confused as to where to stay. it is mostly cheaper to take packages when diving on bunaken. I don't normally like packages as I am a bit tight and normally like to hunt out the best prices. Staying with bunaken beach resort was awesome. Having walked all around the island and checking out other resorts, it is definetly the best value for money and the location is great. Transfers were included in the package and they were really smooth, no waiting around wasting time.

All staff members were fantastic, nothing was ever a problem. The food was perfect also, always plenty. all tea, coffee and water were free, which is a bonus when you consider other places like the togian islands sting you for 10000 a bottle.
The diving was also great and very flexible.
The only thing negative I can say is, and its not related to bunaken beach resort, that the marine park fee of 150000 is the biggest load of crap ever, I have never dived in such crap, plastic bags floating ever where, plastic cups etc..
I know everyone think the money goes to cleaning it up and so the locals don't fish in the area, but I was there for 6 days and saw locals fishing and no-one cleaning up anything. I asked a few locals where the money went and appartently 15000 goes to the local library and the rest to some government official, classic Indonesian corruption!!! If I ever return I will refuse to ever pay the park fee and if no-one lets me dives, I wont dive

Thanks everyone at bunaken beach resort, Maxi, Bram, Victor and Fitli especially.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank john c

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first
cornwall
Reviewed 9 October 2011

If you're snorkelling the house reef is really easy to reach the best I've seen anywhere in the world. If you're diving the dive guides here are excellent, and about 50 dives ranged from very good to breathtaking. The place is very consistent. I don't feel that in three weeks we had dived enough, and some sites merit repeated dives, so we will be back.

Accommodation is clean and basic, and having toured the whole island the gardens are the best by a long way. The resort is very efficient, thes staff friendly and helpful. Pickup and dropoff at the airport is excellent. The food is a bit limited for vegetarians, but the fish is excellent, and some evenings we ate really well.

The whole atmosphere is of intense relaxation. It's not luxury, but does attract a clientele of genuine divers. Brilliant. Thanks to all the staff, if you read your own reviews, and see you again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank garrykingofsurf
Cornwall, UK
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We were lucky enough to spend 3 weeks here during August, diving every day. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The garden bungalows are particularly good as the gardens are the best on the island. It is very good value and we enjoyed the fresh food very much - we missed it once we had gone! The rooms are basic but all essentials are taken care of and the cleaning is regular. We had our own dive gear, our dive trips were relaxed and rarely did we dive with more than 2 others. We saw so much it is impossible to tell you. The tidal refuse delivery is sad for the island but i'm sure this will eventually be sorted as with so many other environmental concerns - from what we saw - its all going in the right direction. Strongly recommend a visit. Thanks

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nelliemarton
Grahamstown, South Africa
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I had an extra week on Sulawesi and decided on the spur of the moment to visit Bunaken and was relieved to get a room at BBR. What a great week. The price is very competative compared to other similar places on the island and the staff are super. I asked for a transfer and from the moment I arrived at Manado airport to the moment I was dropped there again I was well looked after.

I must hasten to add that this is in a non intrusive way. I had been travelling for a while and wanted some relaxed easy time. Unlike in so many other parts of Indonesia I was left to enjoy myself as I wanted to. But when I had a cold, one of the staff went to the village to find me cold and flu tablets, when I went snorkling for the first time another staff member took me out and showed me around the coral reef ten metres into the sea in front of the resort.

My bungalow on the beach was basic and lovely. For the last two nights of my stay I moved to one of the rooms in the beautiful garden and it too was everything I needed. The included communal meals were simple but tasty.

Bunaken itself is simply wonderful. The people are so friendly to the visitors and simply walking around the island is beautiful. And the fish and coral ... I gasped and swallowed a lungful the first time I put my head in the water!

I have only two crits:
1. The beach gets a bit of litter on it each day - washed up from Manado. With the potential to be simply idyllic I'm not sure why, at low tide, the resort staff don't collect it up and keep the beach a bit nicer as an area for guests to enjoy.
2. The equipment is sometimes old or broken. Many guests were complaining about masks resnted for diving or snorkling. Bring your own or check carefully. I found this quite frustrating. I didn't dive but one of the other guests actually said some of the air stuff was leaking.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Greenhatgirl
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Stayed here for 5 days in July in one of the two ocean view rooms, we went to Bunaken for diving.
The resort is nice with a beautiful garden, and oceanview rooms has a nice view and are nice as well, pretty basic with a nice place to sit outside.
The snorkelling outside the resort was spectacular but you have to swim out to the drop off.
Diving around Bunaken is good if you like wall dives as we do but we were not to happy with our diveguide who turned up sick two days and hangover the third day complaining that he could not go so deep, the only time we saw him enthusiastic was when asking for the tip.
With a better diveguide I would give 4 stars.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank L_Kongo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2011

It was $30/ person/ night, including all three meals. Rooms are quite simple with cold saltwater in the showers. Each room has a hammock on the porch, which was quite nice. The hotel is on the beach and there is great snorkeling a few metres away. The hotel also sent a friendly staff member in the water with us at no charge for an hour, who pointed out various fish and coral on the reef. That was extremely helpful, especially since this was only my second time snorkeling and I was a little nervous

Food was excellent and they were very accommodating when I told them I'm vegetarian. However, they have a communal table where all the guests eat together. That was nice at first but it got boring soon (my bf and I would have preferred to dine by ourselves sometimes too)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Belgique
Reviewed 4 April 2011

This hotel reminds me something like the far end of the world.
It was magic of situation and people.

We have met all the people and all were interresting. Customers and staff.
It is no a normal place. Only special people go there.
But this is linked more to the location of Bunaken Island that is difficult to reach.

You must know that hotels on such Islands in Indonesia do not often offer warm water, wide choice of self-service food etc.
Considering this, this hotel is perfect for what we there for : the sea ;o)

Price is ok, rooms are ok, people are nice (service and customer). Nature is incredible.
In-cre-di-ble.
I love snorkeling... And this will be my reference for a long time !!
I wish I ignore Bunaken underworld... Even Kenya or Cuba looks poor now ;o(
But since you are there... now this : There is nothing on earth that is cheaper, easier and more beautiful to see than the coral and fish around bunaken.

• Stayed November 2010