Raja Laut Dive Resort
US$90
Agoda.com
US$72
TripAdvisor
The Village Bunaken(Bunaken Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgreat divingdive resortfamiliar atmospherepizza ovenopen waterhammock on the balconyfamily styleother placesfriendly atmosphereindonesian foodother guestsrelaxing stayfive dayshis wifesmall beachamedeoroberto
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stay:
Nice and cozy resort for divers. 4 wooden bungalows, all of them with ocean view and nice terrace. Very clean and spacious rooms with spotless bathrooms partially without the roof which is very smart in the hot&humid climate! Bungalows are being cleaned every second day or more often if you ask. Staff is very friendly and they will surely help you with all you need.

Eat:
The owner is Italian you can count on some pasta every now and then which is nice for a change. That said the Indonesian cook makes miracles every day. Fresh fish in all sorts of spices, sambals and curries, tempe, fried chicken or vegetables in curries, some fruits for desert. We've stayed there for 7 days and never found anything which we wouldn't like.

Dive:
Bunaken is almost all wall diving. Very healthy corral, very colorful, lots of reef fish including occasional big stuff. We've seen a couple of reef sharks, eagle rays, many napoleons, dozens of turtles. It's beautiful and very relaxing. On almost every dive you will find something beautiful. The resort has 2 boats - small and big. The small one looks like a little twin sister of the bigger one. Both are in a very good condition, and comfortable. Staff on the boat is friendly and in between the dives you can count on some water, tea and biscuits. Unlike other cheaper places which dive only in front of the resorts Raja Laut will take you to all the dive spots around the island. Dive guide we dove with was knowledgeable and very focused on finding interesting stuff. Not so much focused on babysitting the divers so weather you're a beginner or not you need to control your air, time, depth etc yourself. If you are a complete beginner you may want to ask Roberto (the owner) to dive with you instead. When we were in Raja Laut Roberto was teaching a couple of OWD and they were all happy about the way he did it. Roberto is a very friendly and open person who has seen a lot and been to a lot of places so chatting with him is a real pleasure.

We would certainly recommend Raja Laut. We had a great time, in a wonderful place with tasty food and fantastic diving. Great place, great diving.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Jeiff
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Charming private bungalow with the balcony facing a beautiful sea close to dive spots. Yummy and freshindonesian food ( ex: freshly caught fish) made on the premises. Small place (4 units I think), nice owner. Also to get a feel of the local life, the village of Bunaken is a 5 mn walk away).

The diving was good, but not as amazing as I expected. Komodo was better.

Was there sept. 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews we were really excited to stay here, however it did not up to the reviews or expectations. Upon arriving we found that both owners were absent. They were gone a significant amount of time before we arrived and failed to let us know they would not be there. The remaining staff were all Indonesian, spoke little English, and gave mediocre service (including cold meals).

We decided to stay at this resort to dive with experienced, passionate guides who loved diving. Instead we dove with an average guide, who wasn't very knowledgeable about the reef and didn't speak English all that well. The owners required a 70% deposit before arrival, told us we would be diving with them, knew they weren't going to be there when we arrived, and didn't tell us they would be absent or offer to refund our money.

While the cat is away, the mice will play.
Very disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Fuller_04
roberto m, Owner at Raja Laut Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Guest

1- I cannot accept when you write: "knew they weren't going to be there when we arrived".
Raja Laut was without me or a deputy manager for 3 weeks, 3 weeks in 1 year and this was due to an emergency as I explained you more than once.

2-I inform you about the problem as soon as I could and I explained the situation. You weren't certainly left alone, my lawyer, who speaks a good English, was in charge for the period and accordingly to a group of 5 divers that left the day after your arrival, they were more than satisfied by their staying.

3-you wrote me I didn't care about you: I contact my staff as soon you were in Bunaken to check if everything was fine, I wrote you emails during your staying asking a
feedback, I offer you complimentary spa treatments.

4-As for the diving: I would have been busy with your friend Open Water Course so it wouldn't be possible to dive together. We find a freelance instructor for your companion and you told me he was happy about the experience. Our dive guide is a Bunaken native and has log thousands of dives here, I wouldn't say he doesn't know the reef.

"Most things disappoint till you look deeper"
GRAHAM GREENE, The Comedians

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Hey,

I was on Bunaken in August for 9 days. I didn´t sleep in Raja Laut Resort but I decided to do my PADI Open Water Course there. The both diving instructors Roberto (owner) and Amedeu were so friendly and patient. I got a 1-1 course which one was perfect. The equipment is pretty new and works very well.
I can recommend this diving school to everybody!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2013

It's a tough place to leave, especially when you are laying in the hammock post-snorkeling and writing Tripadvisor reviews. The owner (Roberto) wasn't here when we were staying, but Amedeo, his business partner was and despite him being here alone (poor guy), things seemed to run mostly fine. The food was great, especially lunch and dinner. A few people came and went whilst we were here and we asked for breakfast to be changed to Indonesian food (Nasi and local fare), versus just toast and peanut butter/jam. They were happy to accommodate, but it was spotty. Most days we had to ask for anything more than the two slices of toast.

Lunch and dinner is plentiful and tasty and there are always leftovers. Somewhere in the middle of our stay, the banana tree that was a fixture in the dining area disappeared so our free fruit options were none-existent for a few days but later corrected.

The atmosphere is very relaxed here; it’s a small family place, with staff knowing you on first name basis. Even the dive staff addresses you by first name, which is a bit shocking if you can’t reciprocate initially. The dive equipment looks shiny and new and hisses when the right valves are opened and nobody seemed to have an issue with any of it, as far I could tell. I only snorkeled while I was here. I had a decent set of snorkel gear and having no hair, asked for a hood so as not to burn my cranium during hours and hours of snorkeling. This is the fifth place I’ve been snorkeling (Mexico, Thailand, Kenya, Galapagos before) and certainly one of the better spots. There are tons of fish of all sizes and colors, varied reef structures, hard and soft coral, and incredible visibility (50 meters) in most places. I’m not sure why people dive here, because there is so much life between zero and ten meters anyways. The “house reef”, which sits 50 meters off the shore in front of the resort, is probably one of the better spots to go for a relaxed snorkel on a lazy afternoon.

Our cabin (one of the three luxury ones) was much bigger than we thought and everything worked well. Hot water all the time, access to wifi, place was cleaned every day. There was power mostly 24/7 with a few flickers here and there, but far more reliable than we expected. The deck and hammock saw lots of use too. We extended our stay midway for another week. The kitchen staff invited us to a wedding, which was an interesting affair.

My friend took an open water dive course, a refresher really, as she had an old PADI certification, and was not too impressed with the process. First off, she asked for a private course (40 Euro or so more), but then when we got here she was only able to dive after the second day, as there were a few other new students (from another resort) taking a beginner course. She then had some problem with her ears and decided to take a break for a few days. We extended our stay, which was quite pleasant, and then the dive instructor got sick, which resulted in a few days delay and questions as to whether he could safely finish the course. At that point, my friend wanted to cancel the rest of the course and pay for what she did up to that point but was pressured into completing it, so we stayed a few more days. In the end it seemed to all have worked out somewhat, but it could have been a smoother process overall. In talking to the people who come here for diving, it seemed a great place. Maybe not for beginners and not for snorkelers. The dive master was pretty surly (maybe only to me, the non-diver).

All in all we really enjoyed our stay here and can certainly recommend it. You get to know the staff, the people on the boat and the people who run the resort quite well after a few days. Bunaken is a small island, with only 5,000 people or so, and everyone seems to be in each other’s business one way or another. Don’t expect to buy anything here, there are a few “home stores”, where you can buy cookies, some coffee, coke and beer, cigarettes but not much more. No ATM’s, restaurants, pharmacies, doctors or anything of that sort is available here.

Room Tip: Ask for bungalow #3 (superior). The other bungalows don't have decent wifi coverage.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple