“Place like paradise, atmosphere like hell”

Raja Laut Dive Resort
Saarland
“Place like paradise, atmosphere like hell”
Reviewed 23 June 2010

The place is good. Bungalows nice, clean, food good, diving good.

But Roberto creates nothing but a tense atmosphere. He's constantly arguing and shouting with his girlfrind and staff which results in his girlfriend crying and the staff shouting also.

On the last day he got angry with us about a misunderstanding / misinformation (matter of 2$ on the bill) and he refused to take us to the mainland. (We had to take the public boat.)

That eventually made our stay very displeasing, and is the reason why I cannot recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank Makakao
barramunndi, Owner at Raja Laut Dive Resort, responded to this review, 7 July 2010
I spoke at the telephone with this girls because I was temporary out of the resort pickin up some guests at the airport. They told me they couldn't afford to stay in Raja Laut. In the maintime they took Raja Laut boat for the transfer from overland to Bunaken Island. When I came back I found out that they decided to stay. They ask if we could help them to extend their visa but when we decided to go to the immigration office to check out, the sea was rough and we postpone. The day after they decided to continue their trip. The evening before their departure I gave their bill and they complain because I charged for the boat transfer (2 Euro). They told me someone say that they didn't have to pay. I ask them to wait for the next morning and give me the possibility to speak with my boat man. One of the two start to scream that in any case she would never pay for the boat. I cancel the 2 Euro from their bill and explain that this is the regular fare applied also by the taxi boat service and tell them they could use this service if they didn't belive me. The next morning my staff help them with their baggage. Is true I had some problems with my staff during their staying, I wrote them to apologize explaining the situation.
Conclusion: if you cannot affort to stay in one place find a cheaper one. If we tryed to help you in any way act friendly and if there is some misunderstanding we will sort it out with a smile. We are here only to make our guests happy but is probably true that some will never be. Thanks

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Chorzow
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We spent a great week (although we planned only 4 days :-) at this very welcoming resort run by friendly couple of Roberto and Sylvia. The bungalows are brand new, very spacy and comfortable. You can feel italian touch in details :-) They are loacted in neat garden and the teraces overlook the sea with Sulawesi in the distance. The food is very good and diversified including delicious desserts :-) The great treasure of the place is the staff. Always very friendly and helpful. You can see the owners, Roberto and Sylvia, always around asking if everything is alright. We had also amazing diving with them. Roberto is a passionate of the sea and reef life so he can tell (if you ask? :-) very interesting things explaining what you saw during diving. There is also a great dive master, Vanus, who can find and show you underwater the things you saw only in the books before :-) Highly recommended ! Maria and Marcin

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We have been looking for accommodation by walking on Bunaken and passed around this new resort - it was still being in the final stage of construction. We decided to take a look at the cottages and we did good. :) We have been immediately impressed with the accommodation, with the way how cottages looked from outside and inside, with their size etc. Compared to other places we have seen on Bunaken, we decided to stay at this place, simply because it was the best. And so we had the luck to be the first official guests at the resort and didnt regret it at all.

The place is brand new, looks really nice, is clean, each cottage has a great big terrace, bathrooms are nice as well. There is actually nothing negative I can say about this resort and it's accommodation. Still, I'm sure it will look even much better once all details are finished. Resort has a big green garden and very good access to the sea, which I consider a good point as not all resorts on Bunaken have this possibility.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They immediately provided everything we asked for. For example, one afternoon we laid down on the grass to take some sun and in one minute, they brought us a big bamboo sunbed without us even asking for it. Really very kind.

Regarding the food, again, I have only very positive feedback. Food was great - fish, meat, lots of vegetables, salads, fruits. You definitely wont stay hungry! I guess that places run by Italians cant damage their reputation with bad food :)

Owner of the resort is a great guy, he knows a lot about the reef, places to dive/snorkel. It is really nice listening to him talking about marine life. He even shared some documentaries, photo slideshows about underwater life, with detailed explanation of all facts. This is how we spent our evenings after dinner. He is really dedicated to his role and this was one of the things we appreciated the most of our stay at Raja Laut. I wish Roberto very good luck for the future of his resort and his activities and if he will treat all his guests this way, I dont think anyone will be dissapointed!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 7 in Bunaken Island
Bunaken Island Resort
Bunaken Island Resort
#11 of 15 in Bunaken Island
Happy Gecko Resort Bunaken (Cicak Senang)

Been to Raja Laut Dive Resort? Share your experiences!