“Excellent stay in Cakalang”
Review of Cakalang Bunaken

Cakalang Bunaken
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I've just finished five days stay in cakalang which included the advanced open water dive course. The staff and instructors were all fantastic, very patient and knowledgeable. Felt very safe when diving and was able to go at my own pace.

The food and accommodation were also very good. We could never finish all the food provided and every night we'd go for a drink.

Overall a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: June 2014
There are newer reviews for Cakalang Bunaken

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Not a lot of words are necessairy to explain that this place is thumbs up!
The owner can arrange everything for you, book flights , knows the area and the locals. And the diving is sublime!

Had a great time spending there!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I did my PADI open water course here. Ferdinand was a good and patient instructor, making it a very pleasant experience. The diving sites are of great quality, beautiful corals, reefs, many fish and huge turtles. From the boat we could even see dolphins!

The staff and owners are really friendly, always in for a chat and a laid-back atmosphere. Two nights local friends came and played guitar and singing, very nice.

The food is good, fresh fish every day.

Definitely good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is my second year diving here and it feels like coming home every time I visit. Last year I thought I would do 5 or so dives and ended up staying almost a month and ~ 60 dives.

Clean, personal and great food with fresh fish everyday.

The Dutchman (Ferdinand) and his Indonesian wife, Julie are always there to help me and all guests.

If you are in North Sulawesi and go to dive Bunaken, I would highly recommend Cakalang. High scores for rooms, food and dving and the prices are the most economical I have found in this area. Nan is an instructor offering all courses up to Dive Master.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I was staying in Cakalang resort late of November 2013.
Very good service.
Very good food with big portions of meals.
Very good prices.
The cotages are huge clean and very quiet.
Ferdinand will ask your questions anytime ...He is a gentlelman.
The crue is fantastic.
Very beautifull snorkeling just in front of the cotages.
Highly recomented.
Thanks very much all of you for your services.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The owners, Ferdinand and Julie, are friendly and welcoming. Julie helped to arrange the transportation for me, including where to board the public boat and at what time. She also helped another guest to book his onward air tickets.

The cottage was spacious and clean. There were geckos in it but they're all over the island so you'll encounter them no matter where you stay. The rooms were cleaned daily. There are no safety deposit boxes but I did not encounter any problems. The bed was soft and comfortable.
Do expect to hear the geckos throughout the night, birds early in the morning, the sound of motorcycles and people talking at night or in the morning. There is no sound-proofing.

There is free wifi in the evenings. It's understandably slow because even handphone reception here isn't good. Electricity is turned on from about 5pm to 9am daily.

The staff speak English and always have a smile to return. The food was good and they can cater to vegetarians (there was always a dish of vegetables and fish). The food isn't too spicy so it should suit most people. As one of the reviewers below mentioned, the only problem here is you will get fat. I certainly did because I tend to overeat when I'm hungry or expecting a long wait to the next meal. Meals are served 3 times a day at about 8am, 1.30pm and 7pm. The portions were large and there were always leftovers. I was hungry every day because I'm used to having my meals early, with small meals in between. There were 3 other guests. We ate, dived and snorkeled together. It's nice to stay here if you do not wish to get dizzy from meeting too many people.

The captain of the boat and the divemaster paid attention to safety and provided good service. They even helped a snorkeler who had swam too far away from her group by giving her a lift back to her boat. You can swim out from the resort to the reef to snorkel.

I enjoyed stay here, diving and snorkeling, relaxing by the beach on the hammock and playing with the 2 dogs.

Room Tip: Ask for a cottage by the mangroves to be closer to the beach or if you prefer not to climb stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank working4vacations
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed at Cakalang in february this year. Rainyseason, so: a lot of rain.
Because of all the fantastic reviews on TA we booked us a room here. Price-wise this place promises a very good deal: for 40 euros you'll have accomodation + 3 meals. Not too bad compared to a lot of other places.
Contact beforehand with Dutch owner Ferdinand was very nice - he has a relaxing and no-strings-attached way of doing 'business'.
When we arrived we had to walk for 15 minutes from the ferry, cross a little (muddy) path and there we were.. the only guests! There was no-one else.. !
The tiny resort of Cakalang exist out of two cottages and some more rooms in the main house (I think). It all looks very clean and new - but : very basic and minimalistic. In the big, spacy rooms, there is a bed, but nothing else. Which is not too bad, but some hooks on the walls or at least in the bathroom, or a shelf on the wall would be very handy.... we had to put everything on the floor now - which I really didn't like because we had a lot of cockroaches in our room.... (but well, this can happen, it's Indonesia)
Cakalang is still very new, just opened last year, and the friendly & relaxing owners are a big PLUS. Also the food (lunch & dinner) is great.
But it's still so new that there is really nothing to do or see. There are just a few houses, and that's it. Garden is still under construction I guess and there is no really good place to enjoy the sea, sky, or the mangroves.
We missed some relaxing (beach)chairs or a place to hang out - in the night-hour but especially when raining (or at times when you don't want to go diving). We did have some straight, plastic chairs on our little terras, but well..
We might have been a bit unlucky as well, because it was just very quiet... we felt very alone. No other guests and when night fell there was no-one of the staff to been seen either. We were absolutely not looking for a party-place (!), we do like some peace & quite times - but this place was just really boring.
So for us: unfortunately Cakalang was not the place to be - we moved out after 1 night. But: with some small improvements, some more places to sit/hang around it will be much better.
Again: the owners are VERY friendly, and food is great. But for us it was too quiet and still too much under construction...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple