“sleep and eat there, but do not dive !” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bunaken Kuskus Resort

and 1 more site!
Bunaken Kuskus Resort
Paris, France
“sleep and eat there, but do not dive !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

The resort is fine, basic and simple but nice, and the food is very good.
About diving, I must say I have never felt safe with the equipments, and with the staff lack of responsibility :
- The equipment is old and not well maintained : the air was really smelly when I arrived; I complained several times and after it was better, so I guess we have to ask for good air ...
- I noticed a lick in the regulator on the boat, and one of the boat staff said to me "No problemo !!" Well, we were supposed to dive till 30m, so a lick is a problem, and especially when the lick is strong enough you can clearly hear it on the boat ! Of course I asked for a new regulator, and I got one. Under water I got a small lick again, in the inflator, so I asked to carry on the dive up to 15m ... after that I start being stressed by each equipment, knowing that the staff was not that concerned about my safety !!
- My guide was not professional : first he was a little bit too much familiar with me, which is not helping making me feel comfortable, also one day he took a beer between the two morning dives .... and finally he was not able to show me much in general.
- The resort manager proposed to 2 beginner divers - with the Open Water and only 12 dives - to go deep to 40m !! And also to dive at night ... I told him they could not do that with their level, he said that with them it was possible ... Knowing they do not have any emergency equipment, I was shocked by this behaviour. The beginner divers were too ...
So, please, stay with them on earth, but do not dive here, especially if you are unexperienced.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank LauJunguiri

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Bunaken island has similar type accommodation. What makes Kuskus different is the staff, who are genuinely friendly and helpful. At night time they form a band and with their guitars they add some organic Indonesian fun. Food is good (compared with some of the other resorts). Diving is well organised and the toilets in the bungalows truly original and imaginative (see photos)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JohnYannopapas
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed next door but was sent here as there was a tie-up with Jusuf's Resort for dive trips. Jusuf is a well-travelled local who used to work in the NGO scene and has keen interests in marine conservation work. His resort is still quite new, but I have no doubts that the rooms are clean, and food is great.

His employees are friendly and took care of me during my dives. We spotted dolphins at a bay, and the boatman actually steered the boat towards them, and we had the marine animals swimming alongside the boat with us for quite a while! That was truly an experience I will never forget. The pricing for dives are also among the cheapest on the island, and that's because Jusuf makes full use of locals and sends them to be certified as divemasters (although many choose to move elsewhere to work after that because of a higher pay).

Do email them and ask for a package for both accommodation and dives. I am sure you will be able to find something that will suit a budget traveller.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo