“Not very happy!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bunaken Island
Froggies Divers Bunaken
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Not very happy!”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Overall being by Indonesia three times and Thailand twice on dive trip I must say I had great diving there however not great stay at all, hopefully if they can improve on below comments which may give me enough reason to come back again!?

Diving:

I was welcomed with a surprise that they cannot provide Nitrox tanks however in correspondents I was told it is available, and highly recommended dive Nitrox there!

Guides tend to know the area very well but only certified as PADI Advanced Open Water Diver; being PADI Pro. Didn’t mind however in case of any dive accident I am not sure they are trained to rescue any diver!?
I dived with two dive guides during my stay Shandy was much better than the other one.

Boat crew seems careless about divers or not been properly trained as I and Shandy (Dive Guide) were left on the surface for 30 min. while we signal with SMB on safety stop as well as at the surface with whistle! Knowing condition / currents can be very rough I did not have good feeling at all!

Resort:

The resort is fairly old and not in great condition since I had time to have look around some other resorts nearby and saw them in much better condition.
Rooms are equipped with fan only however due to humidity I suggest you need A/C but not provided in Froggies.
Hot Water is available; remember water is somehow salty water not only in Froggies but whole Island.
Drinking water will be in jar and glass in the room and refilled everyday, I did not like this and I found one small lizard in the jar (No Joking)!

Food is all local Indonesian not great (I had better Indonesia food elsewhere) plus most of the times served cold and very small dish!
Tea and Coffee is available in living room (the main hall) all the time, sugar is having small ants in it so you can have you tea / coffee with sugar + ant or no sugar!!

Staffs are nice but hardly speak English, apart from Benny (GM) and Chris (Dive Instructor) who both speak few languages! I must say Benny is very helpful man!

Free laundry service however I tried my laundry on first day, given them White colour and received in Grey!

Wi-Fi is free but speed is not great at all! Took me three days to book my hotel in Jakarta!

There is no TV, no Music and no Bar in whole resort, seems like it is banned for the resort to have such thing by management? However a bit of music (any kind of music) would make whole place a bit lively.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank HesamSaroukhani

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
little red dot
Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

There were only abt max 7 guests at the resort when we were there...the focus now seems to be lazy diving...max of 2 day dives n 1 night dive....unlike other resorts where u can do 4 days a day...there's wifi throughout which is good cuz there's really nothing else to do here...it was too hot to sit at the balcony of our bungalows so most of the time we were hanging out at the restaurant...the food was good...I liked the tea time snacks....there's a village nearby but we didn't go n explore...dive guides were young but good....now for the bad...the email responses to our enquiries were so bad...as in they got my dates wrong even after I repeated myself like 3 to 4 times...in the end I had to call to speak n confirm personally...really kind of frustrating..so first impressions were not good at all..esp compared to the very efficient communication I was having simultaneously with another resort I was going to stay with after froggies...and the very worst thing was that some sick pervert filmed or take photos of me with his phone which he squeezed through a gap on top of the wall when I was showering !!! He must have known that i was the only single female guest...the horror !! So ladies beware...I was staying in Pygmy when this happened....the mgr was very apologetic and we were upgraded to a bigger bungalow for the rest of our stay...but still I will be paranoid whenever I use a resort bathroom for a long time...or at least till my 40s when no one will want to peep at me anyway ;-p

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank bladerbabe
Wetzlar, Germany
Reviewed 5 September 2012

here you can concentrate yourself on diving. Everything will be prepared by the friendly stuff & you can be sure, that the diveguides know the divesides very good. They can show you everything!!
The rooms are VERY clean and the moskitos kept away from the whole resort because of fogging them several times in the year.
The food there is very good and everything is included. When you want to leave one day before or cannot do a dive, they will not put it on the bill.
Everything is included in the price they told you, also the transport to & from the island.
Something special is the magic-box: You put in your cloths in the morning, and when you come back in your bungalow from the second dive in the afternoon, your clothes are clean and lying on the bed.
Making holiday and relaxing with diving and without any thinking is really possible there.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Butterflytours2012
Captain Cook, HI
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed at Froggies Divers for 5 nights in April, 2012. The owner of the Dive Resort was kind enough to arrange for our hotel in Manado for 1 night as our plane arrived very late at night. He also arranged for us to be picked up by a cab in the early morning, driven to the harbor, and brought over to the island in time for 2 daytime dives that very day. The timing was excellent, and it was easy. Everybody was very helpful, and it all felt right. Our bungalow was absolutely fine: the queen size bed was firm, there was mosquito netting that we didn't really need to use at all, there was a rotating fan on the wall, and our bathroom was open and nice. There is even FREE laundry which totally blew our minds!!!!!!!! All of the food is served buffet style. I'm giving the hotel 4 stars because I think there could be a better variety of food, and much of it was fried (which is not good for me; bad stomach). However, the really IMPORTANT things about Froggies were excellent: our dive guide, Samuel, was fabulous. He was great! Our bottom times were outstanding, sometimes 90 minutes, and he pointed out critters to us continually. He's a wonderful divemaster, as are the other divemasters. The diving is mostly wall diving, and those walls are packed with corals, tunicates, fishes, and many HUGE turtles. The viz was very good when we were there, and the water was very calm. The dive boats had plenty of room, and all of the dive sites were quite close to the island. Many people might suggest that you dive Bunaken but stay in Manado. This is a huge mistake, in my opinion. GO to Bunaken and stay there! It will not only save you a bundle of time but it's absolutely beautiful on the island, and it's where you want to be. Another very cool thing was that it was my birthday while I was there. The owner went to great lengths to make it a very special day for me: he ordered a DELICIOUS chocolate-mocha cake from a wonderful bakery in Manado, had it brought over by boat!!!!! and surprised me at dinner with it. The divemasters (and a few guests) formed a band and sang me happy birthday along with the rest of the interesting and wonderful guests. It was a wonderful birthday gift, and one I will remember forever :-) Getting that cake delivered by boat, from that town was no easy thing. Froggies does go the extra mile--- both with helping in making the arrangements and following through. You can rely on them. That's a big thing! I would highly recommend Froggies Divers to anybody who wants to dive Bunaken. It has a very comfortable set-up at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: I think that all the rooms are good. They are little bungalows.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ScubaSue49
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Stayed in Froggies for two days with my friend last march. Did two dives around the area and really enjoyed it. Your gear is ready on the boat in the morning. Only thing you have to do is wake up, have breakfast jump on the boat and in the water. Benny does a really good job in making you feel welcome at his place and explains everything into detail. The resort itself has nice traditional rooms which are good price quality. You get what you pay for at Froggies. The area itself is really nice and you can walk around on the island when you are not diving. The food is mostly local food and it is served in buffet style. No complaints at all about the food!

Overall Froggies is an affordable place to dive and stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BaliReefDivers
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Froggies for 4 nights, 8 dives in February 2012. From the first email till the drop-off at our next hotel, this was a great experience! This is definitely a place to consider when you're diving at Bunaken. My girl called it VIP-diving, as the only thing u almost literally have to do yourself here is breathe :)

Booking/Price
We had trouble contacting places by phone on Bunaken just before our arrival, due to bad weather the telephone lines were dead. So we mailed several resorts - living colors, village bunaken, cha cha etc. Of these places Froggies was the quickest to reac. We got a VERY complete mail with detailed description of everything, bungalow choices, diving, packages etc etc. We chose a 4 night 6 dive package with the premium bungalow (Barracuda or Eagle Ray) for € 305 per person (so that's € 47.50 per night for the double room and € 35 per dive per person) and one extra dive (€35 pp.) and one extra night dive (€25 pp.) . Equipment (15€ pppd.) Pickup €35 pp (from+to airport, car and boat). This included 3 meals a day plus afternoon snack.

Imo great value for money, this diving rate is fairly standard across Bunaken. We didn't bother to negotiate about the price (which we usually do - Can't help it, we're Dutch;) ). But as it was low season it was probably possible to get something of this price.

Stay
What makes this place great is firstmost the staff and especially manager Benny. Right of the bat you feel very welcome, and you notice that Benny and the crew do their utmost to make your stay pleasant and comfortable. Benny has a knack for detail, from the extra towels in the bungalow, to the umbrella's for the rain, everything is arranged to perfection. We were also very content with our bungalow (Barracuda) which is one of the two new bungalows. very comfy bed, spacious, a nice porch, a couch and a lovely Bali style bathroom. Dinner was also very nice, the chef cooks delicious & varied meals, which you eat together in the dining area (with view over the bay).

We apreciated the free WiFi and the 'magic basket' is really something else; you throw in your smelly dirty clothes in the morning, and presto! , you have nice clean, ironed clothes (with a gift wrap ribbon :) ) in the afternoon. I tried it at home, but somehow our laundry basket just doesn't get it.

Diving
And of course the diving was EXCELLENT. Our dive guide Steven must have 3 pairs of eyes, this guy notices everything, from tiny orang utang crabs to hiding leaf scorpion fishes. The amount of species and the coral walls are very spectacular.

The guys really take their time for you, my girl had some initial fears to dive again(+ hyperventilation, it had been 2 years). so we started slowly and they really made her at ease. Also all your gear is carried and set up for you, so it's just a matter of putting your gear on and dive. The gear is also in excellent condition. We ended up doing 8 dives incl 1 night dive - which included a view of mating mandarin fish (cool!). They also do PADI courses by the way. Steven took us for a walk around the island and to his village, which was really cool as well.

Conclusion
We had a great stay, definitely the highlight (together with Toraja) of our Sulawesi trip. I would recommend it to anyone who loves diving, good food and warm people!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ThePASSenger96
Argeles-sur-Mer, France
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Diving,eating and sleeping....This is what you ll do there!!!
Diving: good equipment,professional staff,small group (we were 2 divers per staff),good understanding about the dive condition (current,tides....).
Eating:very good food.
sleeping: very nice and quiet bungalows
The manager,Benny,is very helpfull and all the staff are very nice!!!
So this is a great place if you are loking for this kind of holliday!!!
Enjoy!!!

Bunaken Cha Cha Nature Resort
Bunaken Cha Cha Nature Resort
#4 of 16 in Bunaken Island
Bunaken Divers - Sea Breeze Dive Resort
Happy Gecko Resort Bunaken (Cicak Senang)
Onong Resort
Onong Resort
#3 of 45 in Manado
Raja Laut Dive Resort
Raja Laut Dive Resort
#3 of 16 in Bunaken Island

Been to Froggies Divers Bunaken? Share your experiences!